It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Scar Tissue, can anything be done?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
    ArmyVet2004
    (male)

ArmyVet2004 HB User
    Scar Tissue, can anything be done?

I have scar tissue that is blocking my S1 nerve, I have gone to a few doctors and they do not recommend to attempt to remove it. Too risky and chances are more scar tissue will develop making it worse.

There's really not a lot I have been able to find to help other than pain meds, I have been told by my PM that a spinal stimulator will help but I'm very nervous about it. I'm even more now since someone my wife knows got it and the wires slipped creating new problems.

People that have these, does it help? My pain is already too much and its getting harder and harder to do anything. Neurotin and Vicodin's are getting less and less effective, need to find a solution soon.

Gob Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User
    Re: Scar Tissue, can anything be done?

Hi Armyvet,
    I also have scar tissue around the L5-S1 nerve root after back surgery. My doctor said the same thing...they do not recommend removal because if you are a person who makes an overabundance of scar tissue you could end up worse than you are now. He has recommended a spinal cord stim for me. Stimulators work well for some people but from what I understand surgery is involved to place the wires. So I worry about scar tissue from that as well. I have decided I am not ready to take the chance of being worse off. I have read about a procedure where they use laser to remove scar tissue but I don't think it has offered very consistent relief to patients. Good luck, I feel your frustration. With all of the medical miracles out there you would think there would be some way to address this, right? Take care!

Deb

Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
    ArmyVet2004
    (male)

ArmyVet2004 HB User

Hi Deb,

You are right, with all these medical advancements you figure this should not be as much of a problem as it is. My innitial surgery occured in 2003, I had the same but in 2006 I had to have a fusion of the L5 and that created more scar tissue. Its already been over 6 years, I don't know even if some how the scar tissue can be taken away if the nerve has had too much damage that the pain will stay there. I'm very nervous about the spinal s., nervous about anything else done to my back. Thanks for your responce, sometimes I forget there are more people with the same problems outthere.
    Do they have you on Lirica or Neurotin?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User

I could not take Lyrica or Neurontin, tried them both but could never get to a therapeutic dose due to side effects. Yes, on these boards you can always find someone who has the same issues. My doc said that if the nerve is going to repair itself it would be done in the first two years after surgery. So you are right, the nerve damage is more than likely permanent. Not so good to think that this is my life...but I will just have to keep working to find meds that will help the pain and not make me a babbling idiot We can still hope that a medical miracle will happen in our lifetime! Are you able to work? Good luck and Keep us posted!

Deb

Old 10-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
    ArmyVet2004
    (male)

ArmyVet2004 HB User

I work, I'm very fortunate and blessed that I have a job that I can do from home. My boss and the company have been incredible in supporting me. I live an active life but I pay for it, I am depended on Vicodin to live life how I want. I coach my son's baseball team and my daughter's flag football. I know everyday that no matter what I do the pain will be there so I choose to give them a few hours and pay for it later. There are times when I use every once of strength I have while at the park with them and when I get home I have to crash. I don't know if I'm making my situation worse or not but my kids deserve to have they dad do things with them without any excuses. I see other guys that have nothing wrong with them and they do nothing with their kids, I'm not that guy. I want them to look back and say my dad was there for me, that's what keeps me going.
    I too have some reactions to liryca and neurotin, they put me to sleep specially when I take them with the vicodin. I have an appointment with a new PM this Friday, lets see what he says. Thank you for writing, I hope there's something found that will help us become normal again but until then keep on truckin'.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
    Army Aviator
    (male)

Army Aviator HB User

I have a lot of scar tissue on my knee from previous surgeries which prevents much mobility. Before attempting a 6th surgery to remove, i have been trying Frequency Specific Microcurrent (FSM) therapy. You can google it and should get to a website by a doc in Washington. She has several sites that have taken her training and you may find a location close to you. It does "promise" to reduce scar tissue and I have to say I did notice a reduction in pain after the first few visits, however after 8 visits no increase in mobility. I plan on giving it another couple months before i give up. $50 or so twice a week seems to be the going rate.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
    earthscience8
    (male)

earthscience8 HB User

It would be worth trying the RACZ procedure if you can find a doctor that can perform it.

< edit >

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-28-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
    admansmom
    (female)

admansmom HB User

I have rsd in my hands and in my feet. I had a Medtronic SCS implanted about 3 years ago. I used it 24/7 initially to relieve my pain nearly 100%. I began gradually weaning myself off the stimulator after a year or so and now I use it very occasionally. Maybe 10 to 20 minutes in the evening when I want to relax or a few minutes after I've been rock climbing and my hands are especially sore. I love my stim! Sometimes after a lot of walking or climbing I'll have to take a break and turn my stim on. It kind of reboots me for the next round.

Last edited by admansmom; 11-23-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Closed Thread