It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Question about prolonged Oxycontin use

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
    JDogNite
    (male)

JDogNite HB User
    Question about prolonged Oxycontin use

I am a 31 year old testicular cancer survivor with severe long term pain issues due to tissue, bone, and nerve damage as a result of major surgeries and high dose chemotherapy with bone marrow transplant. I've been taking some form of Oxycontin since 2004 (the year I was diagnosed) and I'm now taking 240mg of Oxycontin per day (ER) always as prescribed. Is Oxycontin the appropriate drug to treat long term/permanent pain? I'll likely be on pain medication the rest of my life, but I don't know if I should potentially try other medications. I did try morphine and fentanyl but both made me so sleepy that I couldn't be trusted to drive (I have a wife and two young boys to consider). Anyone know of any really great pain medications that are known for their limited side effects?

Thanks in advance,
    JDN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Question about prolonged Oxycontin use

Welcome to Healthboards! This is a great site. Many here have many different experiences and thus, can offer lots of support and guidance. I hope you find your time here enjoyable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDogNite View Post
    Is Oxycontin the appropriate drug to treat long term/permanent pain? I'll likely be on pain medication the rest of my life, but I don't know if I should potentially try other medications.
    I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. To answer your question, yes, OC is a very appropriate chronic pain med. In fact, there are many meds that are appropriate, and OC is just one of them. However, what works for one person may not work for another and vice versa. PM is often trial and error and it takes a while to get dialed in to what works for you. If the med regimen is working and your pain is under control, I'd be hesitant to mess with it. The # 1 rule in PM is "not to mess with, or change what's working."

Just as an fyi, there are five types of long acting pain meds:
    • Oxycontin
    • Fentanyl Patch
    • Oral Morphine
    • Methadone
    • Opana (Oxymorphone)

So, you've tried three of the five, and although Methadone is a very good med, it's got some issues with it and it would be a med of last resort, if it were me. I can go into detail if you'd like. The feedback of Opana has not been good, at least on this site. If you type "Opana" into the search box, you'll find many threads/posts and the feedback is very questionable. The point I'm trying to make is that although a PM patient has some good choices, it's not like there are dozens of options.

There are, however, many more options for break through pain, or what I refer to as "flare ups." These meds (like Vicodin, Oxy Ir, Percs) are short acting (SA) and are typically only used for BT pain. The LA med like what you're taking, keeps you're blood plasma level (BPL) elevated all day and thus, prevents the "ups and downs" that one often gets from only taking SA meds. Most chronic pain mgt patients are put on a combination of LA and SA meds....The LA to stabilize the BPL and keep meds in your system (this also treats the constant lower level pain) and then some type of SA med for the flare ups or BT pain.

Here are a couple of threads that discuss SA vs LA meds that you may find interesting and applicable to your question / situation. Don't let the thread titles concern you....It's the content in the thread that's important:
    1. "Nervous about changing meds"

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=4103619#post4103619

2. "Is withdrawals part of Pain Management"

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=696920&highlight=Withdr awals+pain+management&page=2

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 11-09-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Closed Thread