It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• neurontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #16
    swampoak
    (male)

swampoak HB User
    Re: neurontin

I took Lyrica and Neurontin and they never set right with me. If they give you epidural injections because it is too dangerous to give you massive amounts of steroids, then it would make sense that blocking nerve pain should be localized as well. I find that taking large amounts of medications is just not a good idea no matter how bad the pain might be. I have Tylenol 3 and Percocet and I take them when the pain level is above 7 or 8. The more I try and live with the pain, the better off I am. I like the idea of taking a pill that I know will wear off in several hours. If I have to take 2 pills, oh well. I mentioned that my wife has suffered with RLS for over 20 years. She takes Mirapex. She forgot to get her script in on time and was out of it for several days and was back to kicking me in bed again. But it is the 3rd medication she has taken for RLS and it works the best. I also am skeptical of drugs like Tramadol, Effexor etc. that build up in your system slowly and then put you in withdrawal if you miss one pill. Bad stuff. Good luck with your meds. I hope you find the right combination.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #17
    lacy1893
    (female)

lacy1893 HB User

I took neurontin for many years and it really did seem to help with my nerve pain. However, after about three years I would go through periods of SEVERE depression. I finally linked it to the neurontin. It took a lot of investigation and taking medications out of my daily regime and we finally figured out that it was neurontin. I then saw a commercial on television from a lawyer requesting clients who had lost loved ones to suicide when they were being treated with neurontin. After a search on the internet I found that I am not the only one who has found a link between neurontin and depression.
    I do not want to scare anyone into stopping their neurontin because I would take it again to reduce my nerve pain...just realize that if you have a bout of severe depression, the neurontin could be the cause. (When I speak of depression, I am not talking about anything that I had ever felt before...it was a major depression where I understood how people who felt that way might consider suicide) Just keep this in the back of your mind for future reference.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #18
    swampoak
    (male)

swampoak HB User

Just one more thing. I noticed when I was taking Neurontin that my hearing became very sensitive. I went to a movie theater and had to cover my ears during the show. It took me awhile to realize it was the medication. It went away after I quit taking the stuff. I also want to make clear that I am not trying to stop anyone from taking this medication if it is helping, but sometimes the side effects of these drugs can make you think you are going crazy.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #19
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

so it might cause hearing loss then. Thanks for telling us that.

Well, that's why I'm down to 800mg a day, I believe it's a low dose. I suffer from nerve pain caused by the accident and I must take something for nerve pain other than the narcotics. There are not too many options. I tried trileptal for nerve pain started with half a pill a day but it was horrible, the pain got so worst I've never experience this type of pain before.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
    lacy1893
    (female)

lacy1893 HB User

As I said before, I did have a horrible reaction to Neurontin; but, the thing about it is that I believe that it helps to heal whatever is wrong with the nerve that is causing the pain. So, it is not a drug that you would have to take forever. You can stop, if the side effects become too much. I feel that it really did help my nerves to heal...which eventually leads to less pain!

Closed Thread