It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• neurontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    neurontin

Does anyone take or has anyone taken neurontin? My neurologist just prescribed it for me & even though I rejected it in the past for nerve pain from nerve damage from my spine, I said yes this time b/c of restless leg syndrome driving me a bit nuts. I don't like taking regular rx meds, which is why I rejected it before, but I'm willing to try it this time.. would love to hear what others experiences have been w/ it, though --good & bad, please.
    Thank you! -Meghan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
    swampoak
    (male)

swampoak HB User
    Re: neurontin

Hi Meghan, I took neurontin for a month and it didn't do much for my pain. I don't know about how it might do for restless legs. I only took the stuff (300 mg)at night. I tried taking it during the day and I was completely goofy and had trouble staying awake. I had the same problem with Lyrica as well. My wife has restless legs and she takes Mirapex. It works well for her.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Thank you so much for replying. I was told neurontin might make me sleepy & was concerned about that (particularly w/ driving during the day), but my doc said it probably wound't be a real problem. It helps a lot to know that it was a real problem for someone who tried it. I, too, am suppose to start at night, but at just 100mg, then gradually increase & move to daytime doses.. the gradual 'climb' is suppose to help avoid side effects, but I've no idea if it will work. I will look into and ask about mirapex (my doc didn't even bring that one up... maybe he was hoping neurontin would work double duty for me?, but I will ask him about mirapex & why he suggested the one over the other... get into details of the meds w/ him). THANK YOU! --and good luck to both you & your wife w/ your pain issues.
    -Meghan

Old 11-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Wymom-
    I take Neurontin, and also had problems with being really drowsy, but that only lasted for a short time. I started taking it at night too. It helped with RLS problems I have, and has made a marked improvement in the pain I have from my neuropathy issues.

You do need to be aware that more than likely, you will NOT see immediate results in your nerve pain though. This medication usually has to be titrated up to the correct dosing for adequate relief in symptoms and it also has to actually have time to build up to a steady blood plasma level. I started noticing a difference within a couple weeks or so, so please do not get discouraged if you don't see immediate improvement. This is a med that you must allow some time to see if it works for you.

Hope you get marked improvement as I have! keep us informed please, and take care!

Have a great day and weekend!

Ozzybug

Last edited by ozzybug; 11-20-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
    gingerjar
    (female)

gingerjar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wymom94 View Post
    Does anyone take or has anyone taken neurontin? My neurologist just prescribed it for me & even though I rejected it in the past for nerve pain from nerve damage from my spine, I said yes this time b/c of restless leg syndrome driving me a bit nuts. I don't like taking regular rx meds, which is why I rejected it before, but I'm willing to try it this time.. would love to hear what others experiences have been w/ it, though --good & bad, please.
    Thank you! -Meghan
    I have been on Neurontin for a couple years for shoulder nerve pain. I have had no problem with it, and I don't notice any side effects at all. I believe that Neurontin has been helpful to me without any adverse reactions.

Gingerjar

Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I have nerve related issues from prior spine issues and have been taking Neurontin for a couple of years and have found that it helps significantly. I definitely agree with others, it would be helpful to take it at night, because (especially initially) it will cause drowsiness. Your body will adjust and you won't experience the drowsiness, however, you will continue to feel the benefit of the medicine. I also have suffered from RLS from issues resulting from the issues with my spine and I no longer have RLS.

I hope you get relief from the Neurontin.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
    pineway
    (female)

pineway HB User

Meagan
    Neurontin medication works wonders for nerve pain I have been taking it for years it's been my life saver
    Joey

Old 11-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

Hey there,

I took neurontin for years and it was wonderful. To be honest I doubt that you'll even have any noticeable drowsiness on 100mg. I started taking 300mg 3 times a day and did have drowsiness for a week or so but that soon went and the relief kicked in as soon as I started taking it 3 times a day. I ended up on 3600mg a day so there is a lot of room for finding the right dose for you. My nerve pain is acute so that's why I was taking so much.

On the lower dose, 300mg 3 times a day I had no side effects but once I went up to the 800mg tablets I started to gain weight - which is why I eventually stopped it. I've now started taking Lyrica which is neurontin's big brother (it's newer and less expensive with apparently less side effects). To be honest I don't find it as helpful with nerve pain as the neurontin so my PM is think of swapping me back to that at night only. I now take Cymbalta also which is really as good as the neurontin for nerve pain during the day.

I suffer restless legs too and it can be painful stuff - I used to get awful heel pain. The neurontin is a wonder in that way, although sometimes I have to add in Klonopin if my pain is very bad - this sets off my restless legs.

Good luck with it, 100mg is a small dose so I don't think you'll have any problems.

Jem

Old 11-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

I am so glad that everyone does so well with this med. I was offered it and I have had friends that had such horrible side effects that I never dared to try it
    It is wonderful when we find something that helps us.

Madison104

Old 11-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
    swampoak
    (male)

swampoak HB User

I guess each person is different. I don't like taking any medications. I have 3 thoracic herniations. I'm finding most surgeons want nothing to do with surgery in this area unless it is life threatening. Mine isn't. But the pain is significant. I took Tramadol all summer and it completely took the pain away. But I did not know what day it was and my brain was fried on this med. I decided I would rather deal with the pain and I got off the Tramadol. The last spine surgeon I saw told me to try and get used to the pain---treat it like "white noise". I decided I would try. I still have Percocets that break the pain if needed. I am also suspicious of any medication that works too well. I actually want to know where my pain level is. I'm worried about reinjury. I have learned over the last 8 months that spine injuries are very complex and differ widely from person to person.
    I had no idea that neurontin was used for restless legs. My wife took Amitriptylene for years for RLS. It worked but she spent much of the time sleeping. If the neurontin takes care of both RLS and spine pain, that would be pretty nice. Be sure and let us know how this works out!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Wow, I cannot thank you all enough for all the responses and shared experiences with neurontin. I did start it, and am slowly building up on it to hopefully avoid side effects (get my body use to it over time). I won't see effects for a while b/c of starting so slow, but I have a long history of problems with many meds & with side effects, so we felt this was best to avoid negatives.. if I can. I've been taking my regular pain pills along with it, but am hoping that maybe I'll be able to leave those behind if this works double for my nerve pain & RLS. I asked about the other med and also any others beside it -just any & everything that might work, but he felt that , for me, my history, neurontin would probably be successful. So far, no side effects. I was very drowsy the first few days on it (even though I took it at night), but that was probably just my life, not the med. If it was the med, it passed where you'd think it would increase as I added more. It sure would be great to go back in time to when there wasn't chronic pain, but oh well. We all do we what we can now that it's how things are, right?
    Thank you all again.. your responses really were helpful and also very useful. I hope I can be a help to someone else on here like that, too.
    -Meghan

Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

problems todayy with shaky arms, strange tingling and heaviness throughout my arrms and a 'vibrating'' like feeling.. is this the neurontin mayve? I'm very dizzy, too. I'm up to just 600mg a day, not even to the mfull dose yet. I was doing very well before.
    -Meghan

Last edited by Wymom94; 12-05-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

I'm sorry your having a hard time right now with the side effects. I discussed this med with PM and she states there are a lot of unwanted side effects, so this one is out for me. I can be sensitive to many medications. I can not take flexeril, it actually makes me confused and I don't make sense when words come out of my mouth. Scary! I heard neurontin can make you confused as well.

I hope the side effects wear off quickly. Good luck with this one.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #14
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wymom94 View Post
    problems todayy with shaky arms, strange tingling and heaviness throughout my arrms and a 'vibrating'' like feeling.. is this the neurontin mayve? I'm very dizzy, too. I'm up to just 600mg a day, not even to the mfull dose yet. I was doing very well before.
    -Meghan
    ok then, you should go as soon as possible to your doctor and tell her you suffer from shaky arms/strange tingling/vibrating etc. I, also take neurontin for nerve pain and it does makes you sleepy, that's why I take it at nighttime, the dizziness is gone now but I still feel tired when I take it. In the morning I don't feel tired anymore.
    I now take 800mg. I don't want to take more than that. I used to take 1800mg or 1600mg.

I also noticed it does something "weird" with my teeth while on 1800mg, I felt my teeth are "coated". It's probably not a "very" good med for teeth. That's why I dont' want to take more than 800mg.

There is somebody in this forum who said lyrica caused her to lose her teeth, so I'm worried. True, I suffer from severe chronic pain, but I don't want to lose my teeth. I need my teeth for many years to come.

Question: what were you diagnosed with?. why don't you take narcotic pain meds?. or at least start with tramadol. It's not that I'm encouraging you to take those type of meds. It's just that there are no other drugs to treat chronic pain better than them in the market as of today.

Last edited by nochange; 12-06-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

>> >go as soon as possible to your doctor

I called this morning and am waiting for a call back from my doctor --the nurse took the message to him. When returning calls, he usually does so in the late afternoon. I was a lot better yesterday, but am still having some troubles today with it. It's manageable so far, though.

>>>I also noticed it does something "weird" with my teeth while on 1800mg... There is somebody in this forum who said lyrica caused her to lose her teeth, so I'm worried. True, I suffer from severe chronic pain, but I don't want to lose my teeth. I need my teeth for many years to come.

I'm with you.. I'd like to keep my own teeth. I'll be asking my doc about that when he calls, my dentist, too, when I see him tomorrow for a replacement crown.

>>>Question: what were you diagnosed with?. why don't you take narcotic pain meds?. or at least start with tramadol. It's not that I'm encouraging you to take those type of meds. It's just that there are no other drugs to treat chronic pain better than them in the market as of today.[/QUOTE]

I have some permanent nerve damage from my spinal stenosis & myelomalacia before surgeries & have DDD, arthritis, RLS. The RLS is new & is why I'm finally taking neurontin. My doc recommended it before just for the 'regular' nerve pain, but I was hesitant. The RLS was so bad, I changed my mind about trying it. I had reactions to tramadol when I tried it and to several narcotic pain meds. My body tend to have a lot of trouble with meds (anesthesias, too --lots of trouble). I do fine with percocet, but not if I take it longer than a week straight. I do fine with tylenol codeine, but have never taken it long term to know if I have issues with constant use or not. But, I do use percocet or codeine for the worst days and times (on vacations or trips, too). I use otc meds in high doses most of the week, Rx meds for the harder weekdays (or weekend). My chronic pain is moderate, not severe anymore. (On the 0-10 pain scale) I'm typically a 5 or 6 most days, with medication & 'altered lifestyle' (I do less & just don't do some things at all anymore & use "assistive aids"). I'm sorry, btw, that your chronic pain is severe. I had a much, much harder time when mine was 7-9 all the time, and I did take the narcotics daily back then, but had issues with them. I don't often hit that pain level anymore (usually I hit it on vacations & trips & such).
    --That teeth thing is eye-opening. I really thank you for sharing that information with me; I like to be aware of that kind of thing.

Closed Thread