It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Opana ER/opinions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Opana ER/opinions

Im going to be trying opana ER, seems to be mixed opinions on what I could gather from reading through some posts. I was allowed up x6 perc. daily & now will be allowed x3 for break thru pain if needed along with 40mg of opana ER. x2daily. Sounds like my PM may be attempting to do this the right way by keeping me on the percocet. I have no clue how I'll do on the opana & am hoping for the best. My perc. was no longer cutting it & I was so exhausted through the day thought maybe it was due to the ups & downs of the SA meds. Im also on diazapam as an MR & motrin.
    So if anyone has any experiances or opinions Id be interested in hearing them. My pharmacy is ordering the Opana so wont be starting it for a few days. If opana does not work out I can call my PMs so Im wondering whats an fair amount of time to give the opana ER if I dont feel immediate relief?

According to my PM I should feel immediate relief but that has not been my experiance with any LAs, is this possable with Opana ER? Im suppose to wait at least 3hrs before taking a percocet if needed after taking the opana. To be honest this has me nervous. Id feel better being able to take the perco & then waiting to take the Opana, at least I know what to expect from the percocet & mornings are the worst for me. Wish I would have thought to ask my PM that.
    Any success stories or opinions?
    Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
    grace058
    (female)

grace058 HB User
    Re: Opana ER/opinions

My PM wanted me to try Opana IR 5 mg., after I've been on hydrocodone 10/325 (2pills at a time) for the past 3 months. I was concerned about taking too much Tylenol with the hydrocodone. The Opana did nothing for me! It was like taking a placebo. I was told I could take 2 pills at a time, but still nothing. The first week & a half taking Opana, I would get a headache exactly 30 minutes after taking it, that would last for 2 1/2 hours. After researching, I found that headaches were one of the minor side effects. I toughed it out, to see if the headaches would subside after being on the Opana for awhile. The headaches did go away, but I had no pain relief at all. It made me appreciate the minimal pain relief I was getting with the hydrocodone. Guess it helped me realize just how much pain I'm in without taking pain meds (sad, but I feel that's what it did). I called my PM doc & asked to be put back on the hydrocodone, since I at least was able to function somewhat on it. Now I'm back on the hydrocodone & at least it takes the edge off my pain. I know that different meds work differently on all of us. Hopefully you get some positive results. I know it just wasn't for me.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Sammy-
    Unfortunately, I didn't have a good experience with Opana. It didn't touch my pain. I did give it a sufficient chance to work, but it just didn't. That doesn't mean it won't work for you though.

I truly hope you do get marked improvement in your pain with the Opana, but if not, I'm sure your PM has other things to try.

Please do keep us posted. Fingers are crossed that the Opana will help you!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
    maxpain525
    (male)

maxpain525 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
    Im going to be trying opana ER, seems to be mixed opinions on what I could gather from reading through some posts. I was allowed up x6 perc. daily & now will be allowed x3 for break thru pain if needed along with 40mg of opana ER. x2daily. Sounds like my PM may be attempting to do this the right way by keeping me on the percocet. I have no clue how I'll do on the opana & am hoping for the best. My perc. was no longer cutting it & I was so exhausted through the day thought maybe it was due to the ups & downs of the SA meds. Im also on diazapam as an MR & motrin.
    So if anyone has any experiances or opinions Id be interested in hearing them. My pharmacy is ordering the Opana so wont be starting it for a few days. If opana does not work out I can call my PMs so Im wondering whats an fair amount of time to give the opana ER if I dont feel immediate relief?

According to my PM I should feel immediate relief but that has not been my experiance with any LAs, is this possable with Opana ER? Im suppose to wait at least 3hrs before taking a percocet if needed after taking the opana. To be honest this has me nervous. Id feel better being able to take the perco & then waiting to take the Opana, at least I know what to expect from the percocet & mornings are the worst for me. Wish I would have thought to ask my PM that.
    Any success stories or opinions?
    Sammy
    Hello Sammy. I dont know if this helps you, but I have been taking the opana er 10mg 3x aday and nucynta for BT pain. Unfortunatly I have to agree with mostly everyones advice in regards to the opana. I have been taking it for more than a months now and it really doesnt do much for me with my pain. I only continue with taking it because I am currently seeing a crappy PM dr, and am in the process as we speak to find a new one that has my best interests in mind. From the looks of it, it sounds like you have a pretty good PM dr who is willing to help and work with you. As far as the medication working instantly thats bull. Even when I take 2 hrs after I eat, or 1hr before I eat like it says to do, I still dont have much relief from it. I do know that there are higher doses of the drug if you feel it is not working for you. I think it gets up as high as 40mg. Anyway its sounds like you are trying your best to get the best medication regimine so I wish you the best of luck with everything. Also just to warn you about the opana I almost always experience a bad headache a few hrs after I take it, so I hope that im the only one that gets that and you dont. Also, even though your not supposed to drink on any pain meds, it is much more dangerous to drink with this type of mediaction due to the plasma buildup so be careful if you do drink. Anyway good luck to you and I hope you feel better.
    Max

Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Sorry I missed this Sammy. I take the opana er, 20 mg 2x a day with percocet for breakthrough pain. So far, it has been working well for me. I really feel that I am doing MUCH better than when I was just on the percocet, like you have been.
    I am allowed up to 4 percocet a day now for breakthrough pain. I was going to try to take less, but right after I thought that my neck pain kicked up and I have been with more arthritis pain lately. I know the cold irritates me anyway and I live in New England so I don't need to say more on the weather right

Let us know how you do. For me, the opana er was a good option.
    Good Luck,
    Madison

Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Ive just started this morning. I learned alot about this med thanks to the help of wonderful lady & some good friends, not to mention hrs. of reading others experiances. I made a mistake Im on 30mgs not 40mg.
    Ive noticed many start on a real low dose & many take nothing for breakthru. Ive also read more then once this cannot be taken with food. It seems to be one of those meds that need to be taken just so. Noone taking a low dose along with no breakthru med had a good report.
    Ive tried 2 other LAs over the yrs. I cant see any working in low doses with nothing for breakthru. When I was orgianally on oxy the doctor at the time would only allow me a low dose with no breakthru. So I never did have much relief.

I do have a slight headache but took it a couple hrs before getting out of bed. My pain is not as severe but is still bad enough to have me waiting to move. This is only one dose so we shall see. Im not a fan of new meds but if it works that would be great.

Madison Im curious as to how long your doctor has you waiting to take the percocet for breakthru?
    Im also wondering whats a fair amount of time to give a LA med. I would imagine at least a few days. Headaches are one thing I cant deal with so as long as I dont end up with nasty headaches I'll give it a fair shot. I feel I was lucky & managed on perco. for yrs but this was just in time as I was feeling pretty bad. I cant see making it without an LA now. Thanks again I really do appreciate your time, Sammy
    Thanks again & I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Hi Sammy I do eat with my opana er. I did not know anything about the not eating with it. I know we are not supposed to have ANYthing alcohol because it will cause the medication to break down and that could cause an overdose. I even make sure that my mouth rinse is alcohol free.

My doctor allows me to use the percocet AS needed. Honestly, this can vary day to day. I do find now, that in the early am when I wake I do take 1/2 percocet along with my morning opana dose. This seems to help me a bit more.

Then I have 3 1/2 for the rest of the day. I am awake for about 18 hours a day. I am not one to sleep 8 hours. I only wish. I sleep MUCH better now that I have the opana, meaning I don't wake off and on all night. So, to answer your question honestly, I take them as my pain breaks through. Some days are much worse than others depending on what is going on with me.

I WAS just going to post later, after my computer gets out of the shop, (hopefully I don't have to leave it there today) that should I take my breakthrough on a regular basis opposed to AS needed. I am thinking this would help my BPL a bit.

I wish I could be more helpful. My doctor just prescribes on the bottle, one percocet every 6 hours, so I am sure that is probably how I "should" take them. But in any conversation that I have had with him, he was not firm as in doing it exactly that way.

I HOPE you have good luck with the opana er. SO far, I think this has been the BEST medication for me, BUT I still, could NOT do without my breakthrough meds. I hope that you will be able to get something else to take when your pain breaks through, AS IT SURELY DOES!
    Best of luck and if I can help any more just ask
    Madison

Closed Thread