It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I really need help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
    georgi
    (female)

georgi HB User
    I really need help.

I guess that I am just a weak person, I have been on PM for about 3 years now. I went from Narco to oxy. I have been dealing with 2 different types of cancer. I felt that my PM doc was not giving me enough meds to handle the pain so I thought that I would quit going to him and let my GP or My husbands GP take me as their pain managment doctor. Well they both did and now I am getting scripts from both. I need to say NO and stay with only one doctor, but I run out of meds the 3rd week if I don't get the extra I need. Help, I am walking a fine line and I don't want to go to jail. What do I do? I have had no problem getting them filled, but I know it is a matter of time and I don't want to be dishonest. HELP.
    Georgi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Re: I really need help.

I am so sorry you're dealing with two different type of cancers and the pain you must be in. But, you should be getting you pain scripts from ONLY one Doctor. At this point I set up an appointment with the Doctor you feel you have the best relationship with and have a very frank discussion about your pain needs. (At this point I'm not sure I'd bring up that you're getting scripts from another Doctor - but, I'm sure others will have feedback on that). I would let him know what is currently prescribed is not meeting your pain needs and have a discussion regarding your having pain medications adjustment to effectively manage the pain you're in. Bringing a journal of the pain you're in on a daily basis would likely be helpful - it will give him a picture of the pain you're in. I found Doctors will start you on a certain level, but there is always an expectation that adjustments may be needed - it's not a "one size fits all" situations. Heck, I have had discussions with pain management patients that had to have their medications adjusted to LOWER doses - they just felt too out of it all the time. So, it's just as realistic that given the pain some conditions cause that medications will need to be increased to effectively manage the you're in.

You have diagnosed medical conditions and have a right to effective pain management and are entitled to "a quality of life".

However, getting pain medications from two doctors could really come back to bite you and you don't want to be left without either Doctor willing to provide you with the pain medication you need.

I'm sure others will have additional suggestions for you. Please, keep us posted on how you're doing.

You are in my thoughts!

~ Fiona Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 12-12-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You have to work solely with one doctor for narcotic prescriptions, preferably the Pain Mgmt doctor. Most likely you signed an agreement with the Pain Management doctor that prohibits you from using pain medication prescriptions from any other doctor. If they find out you have they can dismiss you from the practice. So open a dialogue with the Pain Management doctor NOT mentioning your treatment with the GP but that the current medications are no longer working. See if the PM doctor will also consider some Long Acting pain medications which can be used with vicodin or norco for break through pain.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
    maxpain525
    (male)

maxpain525 HB User

That is a tough situation that you are in and I am sorry that you are hurting so badly. I have been in a similar position but wasnt intentionally seeing 2 drs to get pain meds, and it is definitly wrong and unlawful, but when your in that much pain, and are dependant upon it, the last thing on your mind is the consiquences. A little while back I was under the care of a pain management dr who was prescribing me pain meds after I had my surgury and I was in so much pain I had to go to the er because somthing was wrong with the cast I had on my ankle, it was starting to tear open the incisions from the sugury 1 week before. The dr at the er prescribed me pain meds not even thinking, and I got them filled. I never took the medication they gave me at the hospitol because I just didnt need it because I had a good regimine with my pain management dr. Anyway to get to my point, I got a phone call about 3 weeks later from my dr and told me to get into the office immediatly within 24 hrs, and my schedueled appointment was 2 days away so I knew there was somthing wrong but I figured it was a mistake of some sort or they had to reschedule me. So I got in there, and he questioned me about the meds I recieved. I explained to him what happened, and he had a sheet sent to him with all of the prescriptions I had filled from numerous pharmacies in the past 2 months. I had no idea that this would be an issue. The dr told me that I violated his contract and he felt I was dr shopping and that he is going to file charges against me and have the dea get involved if i didnt tell him the truth. I told him over and over what had happened and he still didnt believe me. He didnt press any charges in the end or drop me as a patient, but im telling you my sistuation because I dont want anyone to go through thas kind of stress because you are in pain and not being treated properly. Anyway, I really hope that you get the best pain relief possible and that things get easier. I hope my input helped in some way. Good luck

Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgi View Post
    Help, I am walking a fine line and I don't want to go to jail. What do I do? I have had no problem getting them filled, but I know it is a matter of time and I don't want to be dishonest.
    Yes, it's only a matter of time before this catches up to you. Best to stop now before you get caught. Otherwise, you could go from two Docs prescribing, down to none. Additionally, you may be hard pressed to find someone who would take you on after being dismissed.

I would have a sit down / heart to heart with which ever Doc you think is the most likely to help you. I wouldn't tell them what you've been doing, but I would lay it on the line...Be your own advocate....And tell them you're under medicated. Be direct. Many times, Docs will prescribe heavily, but you have to ask, not hint around or just expect it...I'm not saying you are per se, but rather what most people do.

Most of us are used to a "typical" Doc appointment....For example, you go in, tell them you have a cold or some kind of flu, and they give you cough med. You didn't have to ask for the cough med, or any med for that matter....They give out a couple different scripts as standard fare, for whatever condition they think you have.

PM care is different. "Hinting" doesn't often work. In fact, a lot of Docs will take the approach that if a person is in a lot of pain, they will come right out and ask for increases and etc....And if not, then they can't be in too much pain. Looking back at my own Pm care, almost every increases or change was due to me being my own advocate. And, I'm on some pretty big doses....But, had I not been my own advocate, God knows what level I'd still be on.

Lastly, if the Doc you choose won't agree, then try the other one. If neither will help, then look for another doc. After all, you have cancer pain, which is about a legitimate as it gets. Don't take any more chances and consider yourself lucky that you haven't gotten caught...Yet. End it on your terms.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I am sorry for all of you that are made to feel like criminals and all you are doing is trying to cover your pain and if it were me I would continue with which ever doctor that is willing to help me cover the pain and don't apologize for what you need and don't give it a second thought. You are entitled to not be in pain. I am so sorry for those of you that live in fear of getting what you deserve and need. If the pain meds are not enough to cover the pain then you hold your head up and you tell them this isn't enough. If it takes two doctors to accomplish it then some one in the medical community isn't doing their job. It truly isn't their job to make the moral decision that you are or are not abusing medicine...it is their job to be sure your pain is covered. Remember not one of them have the pain you have...most of the staff have no idea what patients suffer with or go through. When you are on pain meds I don't give it a second thought of telling the doctor what works and what doesn't or what I need and I give a hoot what they think...it isn't their life it is your life and you have a right to be pain free. Don't apologize for anything. And if some doctor/nurse decided that they were going to give me a lecture for anything I would hold out my hand and tell him/her to STOP...that you as a patient deserve better and you are not listening to such nonsense. You as a patient have ever right to tell them you too have rights and you can also write them up for patient abuse and neglect...every state has a medical/nursing boards. You are not a criminal you are a patient and have a right to have your pain taken care of and if you need more then you need more. These PM clinics seem to get a little big for their britches. NEVER don't feel guilty about anything ...you do what you need to do to feel better. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

First of all you ARE NOT A WEAK PERSON. You are a person with cancer and have severe pain that needs to be treated appropriately. The problem is that you are going about it incorrectly and doctor shopping is against the law. Plus if you are going to more than one pharmacy, you could be arrested for pharmcy shopping as well. I have heard of people being arrested trying to fill a 2nd script for the same medication. I am not trying to make you feel bad but just think where you would be if you were arrested and put in jail. If you think that your pain is bad now, just imagine not having ANYTHING to treat the pain in jail.

I would suggest sticking with your personal doctor that decided to go ahead and take over the prescribing duties for your pain. And IMMEDIATELY STOP going to your husbands doctor and if you have any other unfilled scripts from your husbands doctor, rip them up and DO NOT FILL THEM. I know it it tempting when your pain is out of control and you have a way to get the amount of medication that you need but this will not end well at all for you.

Tell YOUR family doctor that your pain is not being treated well enough. Use the pain scale (0 being no pain and 10 being the absolute worst possible pain in the world). Tell the doctor that your pain ranges and give him the range using the pain scale numbers. Tell the doctor what your average pain level is at and just how much it is preventing you from doing. If you think that you might be experiencing depression (which is very common with chronic pain) then tell the doctor this as well as some anti-depressants are used to treat certain types of pain. The goal of pain management is to get your pain to a reasonable level (usually an average pain level of 5 or below). The goal is NOT COMPLETE obliteration of ALL PAIN at ALL TIMES and there are many reasons for this including possible addiction issues.

One of the best cancer pain medications and also a LA(long acting) pain medication is the fentanyl patch (Duragesic brand). I am on this type of pain patch and it was the one medication that finally, gave me the much needed relief I was looking for. Ask your doctor about it and see if it might be right for you. Most people in chronic pain are on a LA (long acting medication) such as the fentanyl patch and a SA(short acting) medication such as Vicodin or Percocet that treats the breakthrough pain moments.

Good luck and keep us posted with what happens and don't be afraid to ask any other questions and please know that I am not judging at all.

brian

Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

As Brian Mentions The Duragesic Fentanyl patch is a wonderful LA medication that I have known work wonderfully for cancer related pain. The wonderful thing is the patch is on you all the time you change it every 72 hours (some people change theirs every 48 hours) depending on how their bodies absorb the medication. I am someone who does fine on the 72 hour schedule.

Also, the nice thing about the patch is they can start you on relatively low does - 25 mcg per hour and if that's not managing your pain can make adjustments accordingly. Some people are on patch doses of 100 mcg per hours. For my pain situation, I have Lupus related skeletal pain, spine arthritis, DDD and I have had multiple surgeries on both my cervical spine and lumbar spine. So, I have some pretty extreme pain most of the time. However the 25 mcg. per hour patch works wonderfully for me. I am also prescribed Norco for breakthru pain, I can take up 5 per day (some days I take much less, some days I do need all 5)

So, I would say if you aren't on a Long Acting medication, really consider a discussion about the options available to you. LA Medications can make ALL the difference in the world in controlling your pain and at least get your pain to a level that you can live with and function with.

So, definitely try to get an appointment with your PCP and have a serious discussion about your pain management needs and ask about other options that are available to you .. Long acting Medications like the patch are great because well with the patch you don't have to take any pills and with other LA medications you don't have to take as many peoples - sometimes just two or three a day for some people. And then most likely you'd be given another medication for breakthru pain. The best thing I ever did was get on a long acting medication - just four months ago, I could barely get out of bed and when I did EVERY step hurt. But, ever since I have been on the patch; mornings are so much better, I can get up and move around relatively pain-free - for me that is the best "gift" I've been given this year!

The important thing is you are entitled to a "quality of life". So, the pain management discussion you have your Doctor is a very important. But, definitely stick with one Doctor to hand your pain management, narcotic prescriptions.

Keep us posted on what you find out!

~ Fiona Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 12-14-2009 at 02:04 AM.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
    georgi
    (female)

georgi HB User

Thank you all for the help that you have given.I feel like I have so much on my plate right now. I have a scan on the 30th of this month to let me know if the cancer has come back. Frankly I am scared to death. I don't want to be a wimp, but can't seem to get a grip on things. I am going to try and stay with one doc. I am now worried about getting my next script filled. Hope I am not given a had time. I am afraid that I don't have engough to get me through till my next appt and do not want to fill the scripts I have. Guess I will cut in half. Except they are 60mg long lasting oxy. Don't think I am suppose to cut them. Pray that I will have the strenth to get past this.
    georgi

Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgi View Post
    Guess I will cut in half. Except they are 60mg long lasting oxy. Don't think I am suppose to cut them. Pray that I will have the strenth to get past this.
    georgi
    No, you are not supposed to cut them. If you do, it will destroy the time release mechanism and they will not last over the long acting time period.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Please never cut/split any medication that is Long Acting extended release (be it pain med or any kind of med). They then loose there efficacy and can give you too much medication at one time which won't help pain relief at all.

I do take a LA medication and the only way for it to truly work is to be taken as prescribed. In my case that is 2 per day, each 12 hours apart, and it must be on an empty stomach (1 hr before eating or 2 hr after eating).

Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I have seen people on doses of up to 300mcg and it really comes down to how comfortable a doctor is prescribing a certain dosage and what their "acceptable limit" is. As with most LA medications being true opiod/opiates, there really is no limit except for what the doctor or insurance company says are their presribed limits.

brian

Last edited by Administrator; 03-26-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
    I have seen people on doses of up to 300mcg and it really comes down to how comfortable a doctor is prescribing a certain dosage and what their "acceptable limit" is. As with most LA medications being true opiod/opiates, there really is no limit except for what the doctor or insurance company says are their presribed limits.
    Yes, Brian is correct. In fact, I have read several studies by leading authorities in PM that there is "no ceiling" in PM....In fact, I personally know someone (who also posts on this site occasionally) who takes 720mg of Oxy per day and lives a very productive life. However, she didn't get to that level over night obviously and has built up over time.

Regards,

Ex

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear Georgi,
    Have you talked to your Oncologist about the pain? The experiences I've had with relatives and friends who have had cancer is that the Oncologist is usually part of a team. One of the team members is a Pain Management specialist.
    I'm just thinking that someone who is familiar with Cancer Pain might have an understanding about your pain that a family doctor doesn't have.
    It's just a thought.
    Peggy

Closed Thread