It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) NEED OPINIONS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User
    Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) NEED OPINIONS

So I was switched to this instead of Perc's for breakthrough pain on thurs., and I am sicker than a dog on it! I keep barfing, getting a headache that feels like the top of my head is being ripped off, and everytime I've needed it, I have to sleep for 3 hours- no matter what time of day! Also nausea goes with the vomiting- duh.

I get like this with codeine, which yes, I know they're in the same family, but was told codeine I am allergic & not just sensitive to......is this a mild allergic reaction or just side effects? If they're side effects, how long do most ppl's body's take to adjust and hence lessen the side effects?

Anyone have experience with this drug???

OH- my starting dose is 4 mg's up to 4 times/ day. Also take Oxycontin 40mg 3x/day if that matters.

Last edited by zuzu23; 12-19-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) NEED OPINIONS

I guess you can't really tell if the Dilaudid is helping with the pain if you are vomiting? I was thinking that it is because of it being quite a bit stronger than Percocet. You could try cutting the pill in half or even 1/4th and trying the smaller dosages to see what your reaction is. If you still are vomiting at the lesser doagage then I would think you are allergic to it.

The problem you are having currently is that you are not taking the Percocet anymore so in essence your not getting any BT meds and if you are throwing up you could possibly be vomiting your Oxycontin which would make things even worse. You really need to get a handle on the situtation. I would try taking 1/2 the dosage that you were taking and see what happens. If the side effects do not improve then contact your doctor ASAP.

brian

Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
    krit
    (female)

krit HB User

Everything except the killer headaches sounds like an adjustment to me though the 3 hour konk outs/sleep would worry me b/c it's sedating you so much. I would get in touch with your doctor ASAP. If there is any way to take your BP and pulse you may be able to figure out if you're getting too much medication or if you're in withdrawal. If your BP & pulse go down, you might be overmedicated. If they are up, you may be in withdrawal. A home BP/pulse monitor is a good idea for every CP patient. The greatest risk is respiratory arrest and a low BP/heart rate can be a sign of oversedation.

Last edited by krit; 12-19-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User

Thanks for the answers brianpain & krit. I usually am only taking 1/2 the dose, so 2 mg's, and what I'm finding is this: My pain's definately no better on this medication & the symptoms I listed are NOT any better. I've been so tired that I can't even do more than read these responses, I don't have the energy to type very often.

The percocet I was on for 6 yrs. Like I said, this is the same way I got on codeine, except with this, I ALSO have the horrendous tired spells. It's like when you have major surgery & you wake only needing pain medication & spend the next usually 3 hours konked out flat on your ***, then wake ONLY when the pain is tremendous. And the headaches are killer too!!!

What are the chances of my doc being around anymore til after Xmas? I will call though monday morning, I was going to call & leave a msg but don't even have energy to do that much.

Also, I thought as long as you got equivalent doses of any opiod, you would avoid withdrawal? Is this actually an option? And does anyone know if any or all of my symptoms are listed for this medication?

Old 12-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS DRUG? I am needing more feedback of how 'normal' this is PLS! The symptoms are definately no better than when I started this time on it, over 3 days ago.

PLEASE OFFER UP ANYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS MEDICATION!! TIA

Old 12-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
    reallywant
    (female)

reallywant HB User

Hi. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. It sounds awful. At this point, I would definitely give your doctor a call if you can. I'll write more later, because I have to go to work now.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
    reallywant
    (female)

reallywant HB User

The thing is, if you are truly allergic to this medication, then you shouldn't take it which is why I would call the doctor. Are you still throwing up a lot?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

This med works great for me as an I.V. pain med, but it does give me headaches. In tablet form, the same as yours 4mg, it did absolutely nothing and I still got a headache. I didn't have the nausea with it. If you are still vomiting, call your doc. Pain meds do make you nauseaus, so many docs precribe something for that along with the meds but continually vomiting is not good.

Melissa

Closed Thread