It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Tens Unit Do They Work??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
    MacGeek
    (male)

MacGeek HB User
    Tens Unit Do They Work??

My pain management doctor said i should get a tens unit for my back/neck pain. Has anyone used one before? Dose it work? I do not want to spend a lot of money on something that will not help with some of the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
    katlovesdogs
    (female)

katlovesdogs HB User
    Re: Tens Unit Do They Work??

Mine works great for muscle pain and spasms

Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear MacGeek,
    The TENS machine worked for me. It gave me relief from TMJ pain. I've used on off and on for 26 years.
    Peggy

Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
    Cowpin8
    (male)

Cowpin8 HB User

Definitely worth getting one. It helped me. It probably wont prevent necessary surgery but it helps ease the pain.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
    lcridesherown
    (female)

lcridesherown HB User
    Post Re: Tens Unit Do They Work??

Depends on the person. No one person acts the same to the tens unit. I tried it for 4-5 months with no relief. You have to try it yourself to find out.

Last edited by lcridesherown; 01-11-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I do have one. It has worked very well for traveling (i.e. long car rides). To me it helps the "immediate" discomfort (I frequently feel as if I can't sit still due to the discomfort of back and neck pain). So I find myself using it when I'm a passenger in a car (or a plane) or when I'll be away from home and possibly unable to lounge as much as I need to on an everyday basis. My insurance paid for it (100%) and it was well worth it. I'm almost out of the pads for the system but my pain management doctor said I can contact the manufacturer, tell them who I'm treating with and they will likely give me another 6 month supply (which for me lasts a year).

When I first got the TENS it was for my neck but the rep I met with from the company said "do you ever have back pain?" and I said yes so she threw in the lumbar belt unit. Thank goodness as I've had the TENS unit for 2 years but just 10 months ago started with severe lumbar symptoms. I am SO glad she asked.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 01-11-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
    BeHappy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

I've been wearing Tens unit for 3 years, wouldn't be without it.
    I paid 55.00 for mine on sale purchsed on line.
    If i would have purchased one thru company my Rheumatologist recommended, that would have been 450.00. i think someone was making a kick back on cost. i tried the 450.00 for a 1 month trial then purchased my own elsewhere for 55.00. The lower cost one works just as well as the more expensive one for me. So search into cost before purchasing if you do buy one.

Wish you well
    BeHappy2

Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Like much else in pain management: It depends.

I have one and it works great for sciatic nerve pain. However it doesn't do squat for myofascial pain except aggravate the problem.

As someone else indicated, you can get one online for about $50, it doesn't have to cost a fortune. At that price it's worth seeing if it works for you.

Tigg.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
    Myofascial Pain
    (male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

They work great , except with back pain you need someone to apply the tens unit fo you. My problem is my gf is currently 2 states away due to the current economy.

Also keeping the pads in place can be problematic depending on activity levels how often you clean the pads and the quality of the adhesive...

I fell asleep once and woke up with my pads covered in lint from the sheets...Also broke a plug falling asleep, rolled over wrong way...

Also depends on quality of the unit and if your can find a comfortable modulation setting, the more options the better... Wrong settings and it can behave like one of those ab exercising belts they sell on TV causing your muscle to contract instead of relaxing.

Also depends on the size and proper placement of the pads. For my back I need the large 4 x 2.75" pads. My best arrangement is to have the leads diagonally placedwith the pads in a rectangle formation on my back.. If I plan an alot of activity I may go with a horizontal arrangement with one lead wire going to the top 2 pads ands the other lead going to the bottom 2. Pads in same rectangle.

And of course placement varies with where your pain is spiking...

Hope this information is helpful..

Closed Thread