It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Miralax for constipation....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
    schao
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

schao HB User
    Miralax for constipation....

Hi all,

Not the most pleasant thing to talk about. But with the pain meds comes constipation unfortunately. Does anyone take Miralax, and how good does it work? Does it make you run to the bathroom....or is it more easy on your stomach and just help make you regular?

Thanks for the help,
    schao

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User
    Re: Miralax for constipation....

Good question...just starting on Oxycontin I am just getting into this constipation issue...Yuck!! I took Senokot last week and ended up with diarrhea (sorry) 36 hours later which lasted for 12 hours!! I need help with what is working for everyone. Thanks!

Deb

Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
    schao
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

schao HB User

Hi Deb....looks like we're in the same situation. Can anyone help us and give us some advice please??

Thanks,
    schao

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
    janiee08
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

'll tell you what helps me most; one bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats Cereal EVERY morning. They come in lots of different flavors. My favorite is Maple and Brown Sugar. Sometimes I even eat a bowl @ night. If you don't like milk, you can just snack on them like you would chex mix. Hope it helps....Janiee

Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schao View Post
    Hi Deb....looks like we're in the same situation. Can anyone help us and give us some advice please??
    IMHO, I would stay away from the Miralax. It is polyethylene glycol, which is a cousin of ethylene glycol (antifreeze). However, some have had very good success with it.

There are a number of threads I would highly recommend on the subject of constipation and pain meds:

1. "Constipation from Oxycodone"
      http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=657864&highlight=krit&p age=4

Post # 11 by Krit provides info about the antifreeze. Also, there is lots of information about this constipation issue in the thread....A great resource overall.

2. "Constipation Help!"
      http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=702926&highlight=consti pation+executor&page=6

3. "Miralax to use with pain meds"
      http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=186183&highlight=mirala x+antifreeze

I'm a big fan of Metamucil, as you'll see in these threads I've referenced. I take about as many pain meds as anyone, and have absolutely no problems. In fact, my bowel movements are very easy, and I have 2-3 per day. I'm in and out of the restroom in 1-2 minutes...Tops.

I would read the above threads from start to finish....Lots of really good information in them about all sorts of alternatives....You can pick the one you feel the most comfortable with.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 01-29-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

I MUST share my miracle My gastrointerologist put me on prune juice with a tablespoon of cetrical (sp) 2x a day. I am just as normal as can be without ONE cramp, and I tend to get those horrible cramps and cannot take just anything. I find now that I only need it about 3 times a week, now that I am straightened out.

I was going back and forth between constipation and diareah. This is really a miracle for me. I just wanted to share that someone here may want to give this a try. This is far better for me than using the stool softeners. I had bought the miralax but saw the doctor first so if my memory serves me well, I never did try the miralax.

Madison

Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
    islandjohnny
    (male)

islandjohnny HB User

I would just like to add that I have been using Miralax for the past three years. When everything is normal, I do not use it of course. If a few days go by and I see there may be a problem, I place a (one) cap full of Miralax in my morning coffee, or a glass of water.

Later the same day, I add another cap full in either a glass of water, or a glass of juice. Depending on one's digestive system, you only need to do this for a day on two. By the third day, all is O.K., and back to normal.

Please do not over use the product, their is no need too. I also eat foods that are high in fiber as well. One more thing, I have found that buying Miralax in a bulk store is MUCH better then at a pharmacy or the typical grocery store.

Wishing you the best of health.........

Last edited by islandjohnny; 01-30-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
    coping1
    (female)

coping1 HB User

I take a Colace capsule every evening when I go to bed-keeps everything soft and easy. My docs told me about this when I was pregnant, so it is safe with no cramping etc. You do need to take it on a regular basis for it to be most effective.
    This is what they give in the hospital when I am on a lot of meds too. I highly recommend it.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Miralax is a good choice for folks in pm. I think its a bit more expensive than metamucil and I used it faithfully UNTIL I came on here and tried Ex's recommendation and switched to metamucil. Now I use metamucil everyday and like it so much more because its natural and also helps with my high cholesterol. Read the links she recommended and give it a try. Don't waste the Miralax go ahead and finish it up, but I felt much better about taking the metamucil considering I have to take something everyday, and I do think it's important to use something on a daily basis while on narcotic pain meds. Good luck and I hope everything comes out ok!!

Bullymom

Old 03-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
    NOTSONUTSO
    (female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User

I've been on prescription Kristalose since early 2002. It's the bane of my existance but I'm so glad to have it. It's expensive but thankfully Medicaid covers it as well as my other meds (with only a $1, $2, or $3 copayment)

Old 03-07-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
    reallywant
    (female)

reallywant HB User

I haven't tried Miralax. I was having terrible problems with this and someone told me to eat Triscuits and drink a lot of water...

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
    mitzi56
    (female)

mitzi56 HB User

well i took 4 tsps with two glasses of water last night and ended up having a movement the next morning, if that helps

Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
    mombomb
    (female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User

I like those granola bars that have a lot of fiber in them. Forget what they're called but there are 2 name brand ones at the grocery stores. Also, LOTS of water. If I still have an issue, a woman's laxative, instead of a regular one, is much gentler on the gut. Doesnt send things in the opposite direction. Usually the granola bars keep things on track though.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I use Miralax and have been for almost 4 years. My PM said it was OK, so I will keep on it. I take it M-F and then maybe skip the weekend when I'm not working. I usually have a Fiber 1 bar for breakfast also.

Closed Thread