It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Repairing Nerve Damage Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
    jdsun
    (female)

jdsun HB User
    Repairing Nerve Damage Question

As some of you have already read, I think....or rather praying to anyone who will listen.....that my nerve damage may be healing. I had my ovary removed and ever since my nerve pain down my leg has been slowly reducing.

I am completely off my breakthrough meds (was taking 6, 15mg oxycodones per day) but I am still on my long term Kadian, 80mg, 2x per day. Anyways, the last couple days I have had this very weird feeling right where my buttock/leg is numb. For a few seconds, it will feel like it is wet and cold. Then it goes away. It's really weird. It's happened about 5 times in the last couple days.

The really weird part is this...I did have a very bad disc herniation at L5-S1 right when all that went numb. All my doctors assumed it stayed numb because the herniation was so large.

Could it even be possible that these cold/wet feelings I am starting to get is my nerves regenerating? I still don't understand how this is even possible?

Thanks!!
    Jdsun

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Repairing Nerve Damage Question

This is very possible. That is what I felt in my leg when one of the nerves was healing. I would get almost the very same feeling down the front of my leg, and down into my toes. I though it was a bad thing, but my doctor told me that is the nerve "waking-up" if you will. He said that the nerve was healing and those feelings were normal for what was going on. Now, that particular nerve is healed, so the pain I had from it is nowhere near what it was prior. I still have the saphenous nerve damage which will more than likely never heal since it's been so many years.

You could always talk with your doctor and ask him about this. Have you ever had a nerve conduction study done? It would certainly be able to help diagnose if that nerve is begining to fire again. I had one that diagnosed my nerve damage. Some folks are afraid of them, but really it wasn't that bad to go through.

Take care JD!!
    Ozzy

Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
    jdsun
    (female)

jdsun HB User

Thanks so much Ozzy! Reading your reply just gave me butterflies in my stomach. Part of me is forcing myself not to believe that this is for real. It feels like a dream....really.

I have only spoke to my pain mangagement doctor about this. He told me to give it another month and see how I am doing before he reduces my long acting meds. I wasn't having those cold/wet feelings in my leg at the time. I haven't seen my orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon in months because they both agreeed (along with 5 other surgeons) that my pain was all coming from the nerves that were damaged from those large hernitions. I am going to call for an apt to see my surgeon this week. HOwever, it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get in. All i can do is pray that it continues to heal!

I did have an EMG test done about 2 years ago. It showed that I definitely had nerve damage in the lower spine area L4-S1. Not sure exactly what the test resuts read, but all my doctors agreed that the damage was very intense.

Thanks again for your quick reply. i am trying so badly to not focus on my pain every single second of the day. I am so afraid that in a moment it will all come back.

You said your nerves did heal, but you are still in pain? Can you elaborate on your story??

Thanks agin!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

One of the lesser nerves healed, and yes, the pain from that particular nerve is greatly dimished to the point that on the rare occassion that I get any pain it's more of a bothersome thing (like mild ankle & foot swelling) than actual pain. What I think is that although the nerve healed, it's not 100%. From what I understand, nerves can heal (although it is a slow process), but sometimes they can heal, but only partially.

I don't remember the lesser nerve's name that has healed, but like I said, I still have saphenous neuropathy that is the root of my major nerve pain issues. My nerve damage was caused by a botched first surgery on my right knee that caused me to end up with 7 surgeries total. I've been told that because it's been so long, the chances are that the saphenous nerve is not likely to heal.

I have other pain issues with my knee/leg/hip & back (along with some other problems that I'll not go into since they are not related to the nerve damage or leg pain issues), but as far as the nerve damage goes, I have to take Neurontin which has helped tremendously.

I sincerely hope and pray that what you are feeling is that nerve healing. (hey, I made a rhyme...haha) That would be such a blessing.

I do understand how you feel in not wanting to get too excited and then end up having your pain come back, but really, please, PLEASE try and take this one day at a time. Be thankful for each good day and do not dwell on the "what-ifs" ya know? This is one thing I've had to learn in dealing with chronic pain. It's not easy sometimes, but I don't want you to taint your happiness & good days with worry. Worry can cause bad things and most certainly will take away from the good feelings.

Take care sweetie!

Last edited by ozzybug; 02-08-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Closed Thread