It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Lyrica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
    mewcamaro
    (female)

mewcamaro HB User
    Lyrica

I have been experiencing charlie horses (leg cramps) in my legs lately also trouble keeping my legs still while sleeping. My PM dr says its nerve pain from my back surgery. I had a fusion with two disc replacements with BMP and cages in 2006. Ever since I have had more pain than before surgery. The pain is in my back and goes down my left leg into my foot. He has prescribed Lyrica 75 mg for the pain in my legs.....has anyone ever taken this drug? What are your experience taking this, have you had relief with it? Any side effects? I have just started taking it but it makes me feel very tired and out of it...I also take Oxycotin and Percaset for pain.

Thank you,

Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
    mp70
    (female)

mp70 HB User
    Re: Lyrica

Lyrica works GREAT.. I have fibro and lupus.. however, i gained 40 lbs on it within 5 months. I was taken off of it, given neurontin and cant lose the weight. Many people have no weight gain on it, you may be one and I will really be honest and say if the actual added weight wasnt making the pain in my joints worse, Id have stayed on it . Cymbalta is sometimes used for pain though its an antidepressant, check with your doc and see if it may work for you. ALso for me the "out of it" feeling went away in about 2 months.

Basicallly I have found NOTHING that takes all the pain away completely besides passing out on a fentanyl patch ... and thats no way to live for me

I hope you get relief soon, constant pain is terrible.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
    bain in my pack
    (female)

bain in my pack HB User

My husband's PM put him on Lyrica until I made him call the doctor who said "yeah, some people can't tolerate it" so go ahead and stop taking it. He would wake up in the middle of the night and start yelling. It was like he was dreaming that he was having an arguement, and acting out his part of the converstion. It was scary as heck at the time.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I'm on a similar medication called Neurontin which is available in generic under the name gabapentin. I use it for nerve related pain from my cervical and lumbar spine issues as well as due to pain from my nerve affected by my recent spine surgery incision on my hip.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
    tandycipps
    (female)

tandycipps HB User

I have cronic neck and shoulder pain. I take lortab 10/500 but about a year ago I had back surgery and was put on lyrica. It helped so much but I gained about 25lbs. I decided to try dieting to see if I could lose the weight and it is coming off fine. I've lost 10lbs per month average. I take it at night close to bedtime and it really helps me to sleep. If I take it during the day I can hardly stay awake. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello newcamaro. I would try lyrica for couple of months and see how it goes for you.

For me Neurontin(gabapentin)works better. I believe it works better for chronic neck pain but everyone is different.

While I was on lyrica I've gained some weight but for me it's OK, I'm skinny anyway. My doctor was really happy I put on weight but lyrica didn't take the localized pain I have in my neck so I'm now on neurontin. It's BETTER but it's not perfect. I found percocet and oxycontin much better.

Have you tried clonazapam?. It suppose to help, but you need to go back to your doctor and anyway. If I was you, I would give lyrica a try for couple of months(3 months like I've done) cause anyway you're on 75mg lyrica which is nothing and in order to see if it REALLY works there is a need to increase your dose but that it is done gradually.
    It does makes you sleepy but it usually goes away.

So that's basically what I would do:
    1) keep taking lyrica for say couple of months and see what
    happens but taking it at night time.
    2)Try gabapentin(neurontin)chances it will work.
    3)Try clonazapam or valium.

Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S don't be afraid if lyrica puts you on weight, I used to eat 3 times as much but if you changed your diet, say eats salads etc you won't put on weight.

Last edited by nochange; 04-13-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
    allanbruce
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I have been put on Tegratol 2 X 100mg morning then 2 X 100mg at night. Has anyone had success with this medication? It is Carbamazepine tablets which I don't recognise. Allan
    25-Nov-2010: ALIF fusion L5-S1. 9 years of Chronic lower back pain. Nearly 18 months of pain across my upper pelvis, through my butt and down my left leg into my foot. Sciatica relieved by surgery.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
    Crash4honda
    (male)

Crash4honda HB User

Been on 150 mg Lyrica for about 2 yrs now, take 2x a day for nerve pain in my right leg due to an accident. I was at a #10 pain level for over 1 1/2yrs every day, every 12 seconds, non stop prior to going on Lyrica. All other nerve meds didn't work for me. I gained some weight but this was more due to diet and lack, of exercises than the Lyrica.

Lyrica itself did not control the pain. After asking a lot of questions and going to different doctors, I found out that certain pain meds combined with other meds can control chronic pain. So now I take Effexor, which I have been told is an older drug, along with Lyrica and this seems to work. If the pain flars up I take Vicodin as needed, which usually never more than one a day.

As for side effect, I had dizziness for about 3 months but my body adjusted. The only time I get crazy dreams is when I have to take the Vicodin.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Tegretol is an anti seizure medication, it's for nerve pain. I've never tried that one before. I've tried trileptal if you've heard, they say this one has less side effects then tegretol but after 2 days of using trileptal I've stopped using it(also anti seizure med)cause it increased my pain level. It might have caused me a seizue altogether.

They usually start with: Lyrica, then neurontin then trileptal and then tegretol.

It takes time for this type of medication to work. From what I understood it takes about 3 weeks. So be patient.
    It's not like Oxycontin. With Oxycontin we don't need to wait at all.

Good Luck!

Last edited by nochange; 04-15-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
    allanbruce
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I have gone off Oxycontin now and I am trying the Patches again 2x 50mc/gr/hr every 3 days . I tried Lyrica for about 4 weeks and didn't feel any effects and it was costing me $100 a month where the Tegretol is only the pension rate $5.40 So I thought I would try that. It all takes a while to settle in.
    25-Nov-2010: ALIF fusion L5-S1. 9 years of Chronic lower back pain. Nearly 18 months of pain across my upper pelvis, through my butt and down my left leg into my foot. Sciatica relieved by surgery.

Closed Thread