It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• was taking oxycodone 10 mg and switched to norco 7.5

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
    jailyn
    (female)

jailyn HB User
    was taking oxycodone 10 mg and switched to norco 7.5

hello i was wondering if anyone else has gone through what im dealing with i have been taking opiates for 5 years about 5 months ago i went from taking norco 7.5/325 4 times a day to oxycodone 10 /325 the oxycodone works great but have concerns how addictive they are and decided to go back to the norco and now the norco isnt working for me as well was wondering if it will ever start working again for me has anyone else been through this im tryin to not take oxycodone

Last edited by jailyn; 03-20-2010 at 12:57 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to jailyn:
    cedbenson (11-02-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User
    Re: was taking oxycodone 10 mg and switched to norco 7.5

Hi Jailyn...Welcome to healthboards...I had the same thing as you're describing happen to me also. My Dr had me on Vicodin 10/325 4x per day. I have a severe case of Plantar Fasciitis W/ really big bone spurs in both feet. Well my Dr wanted me to try a cortisone injection in the foot that was causing me the worst pain & as terrified as i was i agreed to give it a shot (no pun intended) lol Too funny lol but anyway, my Dr gave me the shot & it actually made my foot hurt worse than it ever had! After a few days i couldn't handle the pain anymore & i made an appointment to see my Dr. After checking my foot my Dr told me that the shot had ruptured the fasia & this is the reason for my extra pain so he put me on a stronger med. Oxycodone 10/325. This worked much better although it didn't take away the pain. It just allowed me to be able to deal with it a little better. I took the oxycodones for one month or so & the following month when i went back to see my Dr for a refill on my pain meds he put me back on the Vicodin 10/325. Well the Vicodins no longer worked! I gave it a few days & nothing! So i went back to my Dr & told him the problem & so he put me right back on the Oxycodones & i've been on them eversince except now i'm also on a breakthrough med which is Oxycodone 15mg every 6 hrs. My Dr told me that once you're on a potent med, normally you can't go back down, only up. My body had gotten used to the added relief from the oxycodone that the Vicodin wasn't providing for me. I'm not sure if you keep taking the Norco instead of the Oxys whether the Norco will eventually work for you again or not. I'm sorry i don't know the answer to that. I just wanted to tell you that it also had happened to me. I'm sorry you're in pain & i hope it all works out for you. Take care.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jailyn View Post
    but have concerns how addictive they are and decided to go back to the norco and now the norco isnt working for me as well was wondering if it will ever start working again for me has anyone else been through this im tryin to not take oxycodone
    I know how you feel. I used to take percocet 5/325(oxycodone)for a very short time and had to switch to percocet 10/325. I'm pretty sure if I go back to percocet 5 it won't work. I believe oxycodone is addictive cause the body gets use to it and doctors have to increase the dose. But oxycodone is the only med that works for me.

Have you tried tramadol/ultram extended release? I didn't like the way it worked. tramadol/ultram is less addictive so you can try this one. There is also lyrica or gabapentin which provides "some" relief. You can try diazepam(valium)I believe it's less addictive than narcotic as far as I know.

You can try stopping taking narcotics but I don't think you will have a life. You will suffer and be depressed. So I believe it's better to take narcotic. At least you're able to function. But it's your decision.

If you don't mind me asking. Where is your injury located.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Taking they hydrocodone along with a couple of advil can significantly increase the pain releif it offers, because advil is an NSAID, relieves pain in a different way to the hydrocodone and the APAP

Also, you are taking a subtheraputic dose of acetaminophen, changing to a pill that has 650mg of acetaminophen could increase the releif you get.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Hello,

I have been on both meds, hydrocodone and oxycodone and honestly, I did not see a huge difference in the two meds. Currently I take percocet 10/325 3X day for break through. Many days I can get by on two percocets instead of the three. When I was taking lortab/narco... I always had to take the maximum prescribed dose on a daily basis, and upon occasion I had to take an extra one. In my opinion, when you take a med that gives you better relief, you tend to not need increases as much. Both meds are addicting. I feel you are better off taking the one that helps your pain best. I have been on percocet for 7 years now and have rarely had to go over my dose. When you have legitamite pain and use the meds as prescribed, the risk of addiction is very low. We have allot of addiction in my family, so I am extremely cautious when it comes to narcotics.

Good luck

Bullymom

Closed Thread