It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Help In Answering A Question...Was It Suboxone Or Subutex?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User
    Help In Answering A Question...Was It Suboxone Or Subutex?

Hi everybody, i'm hoping that somebody can help to answer a question for me. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    A close friend of mine has a boyfriend who is an alcoholic. He recently went to his local ER for alcohol poisoning after drinking too much. After leaving the ER he went right back to drinking & after his first few sips of alcohol he became violently sick & started throwing up so he went right back to the ER. The Dr.'s at the ER checked his charts & told him that the reason for his becoming violently sick after only a few sips of alcohol was because when he was seen the first time, only hours before he had been given something before he was discharged, to keep him from drinking again. He claims that he was unaware of this. My question to you all is this...Is there something that Dr.'s can use to keep one from drinking & if so what is it? Was it Suboxone or maybe Subutex? I thought this was only for opiods? My friends boyfriend says that he cant remember the name of the stuff that the Dr gave him at the ER. I'm just curious as to what the heck it was that he was given. Whatever it was, it worked lol Thanks for any replies in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
    Re: Help In Answering A Question...Was It Suboxone Or Subutex?

Hi Ang....Geeez, off the top of my head I cannot think of the name of the medication but my friend's husband took it. It will make them violently sick if they drink after taking it.
    My guess is that he was drunk and cannot remember at the ER,?? maybe..... but the information should be all over his discharge paperwork. If not the ER doc that treated him can help

Let us know..
    Madison

Last edited by Madison104; 03-30-2010 at 04:52 AM.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Madison104...Thanks for your reply, i appreciate it. Well, supposedly, from what my friend is telling me is that the hospital is telling them that they did tell her boyfriend that they were giving him this & supposedly he can't remember the name of the med & he is just too lazy to go or to call to find out. I know, it would be in his records or possibly even his discharge papers. I guess i'm just more interested in what this med was that they gave him, instead of him. Mainly because i didn't know there was such a med to begin with. Curiousity on my part, i guess.
    Thanks for replying & do take care. God bless you!
    Anyone else???

Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Subutex is the drug they give to alcoholics. Suboxone is for opiate addiction.

Hope that helps
    Blessings

Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secrets1983 View Post
    Subutex is the drug they give to alcoholics. Suboxone is for opiate addiction.

Hope that helps
    Blessings
    Don't know where you heard that. They are both designed and perscribed for opiate addiction. (Sometimes Pain management as well, especially in Europe but go by different names, and not suboxone in Europe)

the only difference between the suboxone and subutex is that suboxone has naxolone in it, which when taking correctly (sublingualy?, or under the tongue) the naxolone is bypassed and it will work the same as the subutex.

But since it is perscibed for addiction the reason they add naxolone to suboxone is so that people will not attempt to "shoot up" the pill. Doing so will cause the naxolone to hit the blood stream and go straight to the brain and will supposedly throw you straight into withdrawl.

Last edited by Leo123; 04-05-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

I think your boyfriend is talking a little funny.

I never heard of such a drug, nor would I say it is legal for a doctor to unknowingly give somebody something that could make them sick without the knowledge or patients consent at the time.

Because as you state, he was only told he was injected with something after he tried to drink again and when he became violently ill and returned the doctor told him about what he had done.

I think he might be making it up, to avoid the embarressment of drinking so much as to land yourself in the hospital twice in the same night. Gimmie a Break! What is wrong with that boy!

Anyways I would say a doctor doing that would be illegal and no way a doctor would give somebody something that could make them sick if they did something, without the doctor saying hey I gave you a shot and if you do "this or that" you might get super sick.

I would re-check your boyfirnds story.

And no way suboxone or subutex would be any of the drugs the doctor gave your boyfriend, especially for the reasons that he claims. If he did get those drugs it had nothing to do with his alcohol intake.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Doctors will give recovering alcoholics Antabuse. It is a med that will induce vomitting if the person drinks. In theory, the person will no longer want to drink in order to avoid the vomitting & all the other ill affects the Antabuse causes when you take it and then consume alcohol.

Hope this helps ;D

Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Just want to add and say that I see that it's your friends boyfriend and not yours.

But I also want to add that maybe this guy was using alcohol as a cover and it was really opiates and if he toke suboxone while still on opiates you may become pretty sick and in serious withdrawl.

But alcohol and suboxone or subutex, have no relationship whatsoever.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

And giving someone Antabuse without consent is legal for a doctor to do?

I cant imagine that, it sound almost criminal and scary to think a doctor can unknowingly inject a patient with something, even if its for their benefiet.

Last edited by Leo123; 04-05-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

The doctor may have asked the guy if he could give it to him and the guy may just not remember it. I know Antabuse is the brand name for the drug, but I don't remember the active ingredient. A simple search could probably tell you the answer. I think that ingredient is also in at least one other drug.

Have you ever eaten something that resulted in you getting violently ill and/or food poisoning? And do you know how appetizing that particular food was to you after that? That's what to goal of Antabuse is. Your mind makes unconscious associations with what you do and how you feel afterward. If you take Antabuse and take even a sip of alcohol, you get super sick and the hope is that your mind is conditioned to associate alcohol with feeling bad so when you see a drink, it grosses you out. It really only works for motivated alcoholics, though.

My brother works in the ER and he said the doctors absolutely hate the drunks and addicts because they feel like these people are wasting their time. He said that they like to do things like pumping people's stomachs because it is such an unpleasant experience that they hope the addicts/alcoholics will not be rewarded for their behavior. Maybe this doc has the same thing going on. He sees this guys and thinks "I can get him to agree to Anatabuse" so he gives it to him knowing he's going to get sick.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Hey guys...Thanks for all of your responses! I apologize for just now getting to them. I will try to answer each one of you personally.

I do think that my friend's boyfriend is either lying or simply full of crap! lol because i thought the same thing, that it would be illegal for a Dr to give somebody something without their knowlege. I had been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt until i also just found out that this person has been smoking crack too! So now i just think he is a liar! But i'm just not sure as to why he would tell his girlfriend, which is my friend, that he didn't know that the Dr at the ER gave him this? I just don't see what sense any of it makes. But im done trying to figure it out because i've got more important issues to deal with than to concern myself with a loser who doesn't seem to want to help himself.
    Thanks again for all of your replies. Take care.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #12
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Secrets...Thanks sweetie...Take care & God bless you!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Leo123...I agree with you 100%, except this guy is not my boyfriend lol. He is my friends boyfriend. He is also a liar & smokes crack, i just found out! I was just curious as to what it was that this Dr gave to him because i had never heard of such a thing before but i now know that it was something called anibuse or antibuse, something like that. I am going to research it later when i have nothing better to do lol
    Thanks for your help, i appreciate it! Take care.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #14
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

ozzybug...Thank you so much for your response, i really appreciate it & im going to research it further when i have nothing better to do because i've sorta lost interest with it because i just recently found out that my friends boyfriend is a liar & smokes crack & is also an alcoholic & does nothing to try to help himself get better. I don't have much compassion for those who don't try to help themselves. I was actually more interested in the drug that the Dr gave him than i was concerned for his silly butt lol. Thanks again for your help & take care.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #15
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Leo123...Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it. Take care.

Closed Thread