It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• from oxicontin to opana?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
    gator720
    (male)

gator720 HB User
    from oxicontin to opana?

First time here and i like what i see, i am on 20mgs of oxicontin, no more than 6 a day, a friend mentioned switching to opana , what dosage of opana equals the 6 oxis and is opana better? Sometimes i wait to long to take dosage of oxi and i sweat etc, i also take amphetamine salt 10 mg /scribed 4x a day but i break them in half and take no more than 4 halves a daym plus i take a temazipane before bed and a flexooril and 1 baby aspirn, plus vit.d 1000mg multi mens vita from vita world and 1000 flaxseed, i know you maybe thinking you folks did not need all that info but first time on and i want the best assesment, plus my pain "is" for real and is quite intence at times,, so how is opana versus oxi, thanx, gator

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: from oxicontin to opana?

well, wait a minute. I don't think any doctor is allowed to prescribe more than 3 tablets of oxycontin a day. Then when that doesn't work doctor increase it to 40mg oxycontin.

something doesn't sound right here. Perhaps you are mistaken with percocet/oxycodone.
    You are allowed to take those together with oxycontin but not 6 oxycontin a day. That's why they have short acting meds and long acting meds.

I would check with your doctor right away.

What are you suffering from, neck pain?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Your doctor and/or pharmacist would be able to let you know equivalents of one medication to another. I have been on Opana ER with some success but will be asking to be converted back to MS Contin as the Opana ER is costing me too much each month.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
    Shutter
    (female)

Shutter HB User
    Smile Re: from oxicontin to opana?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nochange View Post
    well, wait a minute. I don't think any doctor is allowed to prescribe more than 3 tablets of oxycontin a day. Then when that doesn't work doctor increase it to 40mg oxycontin.

something doesn't sound right here. Perhaps you are mistaken with percocet/oxycodone.
    You are allowed to take those together with oxycontin but not 6 oxycontin a day. That's why they have short acting meds and long acting meds.
    I have never heard of a doctor being limited to a certain number of oxycontin tabs per day, either by state law or insurance guidelines....it's the same mg's of meds, but just more pills....besides, if that is true, then it is only true in certain states or for certain insurance companys. For example, when I used to take Oxcontin, I took 3-40 mg tabs three times a day, and 4-40mg tabs at bedtime. That is what my dr prescribed and how my pharamcist filled it. 40 mg tablets were the highest mg I was ever prescribed...if they wanted to increase it, then the doc just added more pills.

Maybe it could be "your" docs/pharmacist "own" policy or like I said your insurance co requirement. Besides, some dr or pharmacists may not like prescribing or filling higher mg tabs which may draw more attention to themselves.

One more thing... some people may have trouble with the side effects of certain long acting meds...I know I did, so my dr and I stayed with short acting meds as long as we could before returning to long acting meds.

Hope this clears this up for you because it sounds more than normal to me.

Shutter

Last edited by Shutter; 04-20-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Wanted to delete my originial post as I am not the best at written word at times...so came across the wrong way for my concern...so I apologize for that...

I was trying to say that Oxycontin and other ER meds are meant to last for 8-12 hours and that is how they are usually dosed by most Dr.s and the by manufacturers quidelines...Yes..it does surprise me when I see some Dr.s who write their scripts differently...but that is up to the patient and Dr.

My only concern is when it happens too often and a good medicine gets pulled from the market because of that..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 04-21-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
    Shutter
    (female)

Shutter HB User

My point is was only that people can and do take more than 3 oxy pills a day. I really don't know about how often the 120 or 180 are prescribed as I have never taken those...and I wouldn't pretend to know.

I can certainly see where those high doses would cause respitory depression, if given to a person who had not taken 4 years to achieve the dose that I was on...and I didn't say that I took any BT meds while I was on that dose. I didn't. So I am not quite sure where you got that from.

After reading your comment, I looked up the prescribing info for oxycontin, because while it has been around 5 years since I have taken Oxycontin, I did not remember it saying that there was a "maximum dose."

So I found a copy of the package insert for Oxycontin online from the drug company who makes and under the heading CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY it clearly states that, "With pure opioid agonist analgesics, there is no defined maximum dose; the ceiling to analgesic effectiveness is imposed only by side effects, the more serious of which may include somnolence and respiratory depression." I can't post the link, because of board rules, but you can use any search engine to find it, or maybe ask your doctor friend to give you a copy of the insert.

I think it's safe to say that all pain patients are individuals and it's hard to say that a specific dose which is right for one person, is right for another. Especially considering each persons pain level & tolerance & medical background. Honestly I was really surprised that this board let people post their doseages, for just this reason.

Personally, I would be really wary of telling a person how many pills they can or can't take a day, especially when they have followed a doctors orders...until I went through medical school and could look at their med. records and physically examine them. Having a doctor friend really isn't a qualification, no matter if you think he's the best in the nation...who knows, maybe he just told you the limit that his clinic adhears too.

As for what kind of doctor my doctor is, as of now she is my PCP, but before she moved into our small community for years she concentrated her practice to hospice, so she has had a lot of experience with people in pain. And while it would have been nice to have one of the three pain management doctors that my PCP sent me to over the last 10 years, take over prescribing my meds....not one of the "Pain Management" doctors would even prescribed pain meds...Instead, they required my PCP, to lay her license on the line by having to write my scripts. I find that kind of backwards....but that's my own personal opinion. However, I am sure there are good PM doctors out there...I just haven't had the priviledge of seeing one.

Thank you for being concerned for my safety, but like I said, it has been sometime since I have been on Oxycontin and for clarification, my Dr was NOT prescribing a dose, "that go against what is written by the drug maker." She follwed the prescribing information from Purdo Pharma. I promise.

Shutter

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
    RJW1966
    (male)

RJW1966 HB User

I was prescribed OC 40mg four times a day and switched to Opana 40mg three times a day and it was a pretty close match for me. With the OC I did not need BT meds as I could bump my doses forward of backward an hour or two to cover for the tough times. With the Opana I also took 15mgs oxy IR up to twice a day as needed. Opana is a much smoother med but the overall pain relief was better with the OC.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Opana ER has worked reasonably well for me (30 mg), but I will be asking my Pain Management doctor to switch me back to MS Contin.

Opana ER, under my insurance, is $75/mo even with the manufacturer's discount card. MS Contin will cost $10/mo. With me on LTD and hubby on unemployment that $65 difference has become too much.

Closed Thread