It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• HELP!! False negative drug test, pain doc. dismissing me :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User
    Unhappy HELP!! False negative drug test, pain doc. dismissing me :(

you guys... I REALLY need help and advice... SO MUCH. I have been crying nonstop for more than 24 hours since my doctor's appointment yesterday. In 8 years of pain management I have never had a problem with a drug test...but my doctor just switched from urine tests to "oral fluid" tests and 2 weeks ago at my last doctor appointment she informed me my drug test had shown absolutely NO morphine in my system. I take 90 mgs a day and there was no way in the world it should have come back negative. so she made me do another one and yesterday she told me that this one also showed no morphine but was positive for codeine...which is impossible because I never took ANYTHING other than the morphine. I have read that it is possible for morphine to show up as codeine....is this true?? Anyway, she is weaning me off of the morphine starting today and will be done with me...she said that it is my word against 2 drug tests and I will just have to manage my pain in other ways. I seriously want to die!!! I am not willing to live with that kind of pain!!! I'm 26 years old and have been in pain since I was 18...I am on social security disability... it was already a struggle to get through the day before this happened...now I just want to give up. She was the one doctor that I could find that would still prescribe pain medicine to me regardless of my young age... and it took me 4 years to find her. I have done everything else that has ever been suggested to me... all the injections, PT, chiros, pain programs...everything. surgery is not an option. I have no more options really.
    I really do not know what to do...I even took my dad in with me since he;s the one that holds them for me and sees me taking them every day and all...but she wouldn't listen to anything. the only thing I can think of is that on both of the last 2 tests the nurse watching me was seconds away from throwing them out and sending me to the lab instead...she even said there must be something wrong with it cause it seriously took like half an hour instead of a few minutes... but I just do not understand!!!!!!! this is just like a nightmare...I had read other people's stories on here about drug tests coming back with false positives or false negatives and always thought that if that ever happened to me I would just die.... I feel so hopeless right now!!!!! Is there anything I can do or show her why this could have happened???? I would really appreciate any advice or facts....
    thanks....
    Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
    oldbackbone
    (male)

oldbackbone HB User
    Re: HELP!! False negative drug test, pain doc. dismissing me :(

Is there any way you could get your doc to consider having a lab test done? (I'm assuming the swabs are being done in the doc's office)

Old 03-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I would call and ask for another swab test ASAP followed up by a blood test from a local lab. I mean, do the blood test right after having another swab test. If the third swab comes up negative, and the lab test comes up positive then that should be proof that the oral swab test is deffective and is NOT capable of giving an accurate result. I probably would have gone immediately for a blood test after the first false negative.

Personally? I'd be leary of an oral swab test because it just plain doesn't sound reliable to me.

I am so sorry this happened to you and pray that you are able to get it resolved. Please do keep us posted.

Last edited by ozzybug; 03-31-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

Thanks for the advice... I will try to ask her about getting a lab test done but I am pretty sure that she is just done with me. actually she never said that she was dismissing me per se, only that she would not prescribe medicine anymore. I have been seeing this doctor for four years... in all of that time she never allowed me even one single increase in my pain medicine. she said that since I am young and would be on it the rest of my life she can't treat me the same as she would treat someone else. Even I know that never being allowed ONE increase in EIGHT YEARS of pain medicine ( my previous doctor had not allowed one either!!) is just completely ridiculous.
    Also, for some reason she does not believe in breakthrough pain. She says people take their BT meds every day and it just becomes the same as the LA pain meds...so no breakthrough pain meds. So when you are having a day when the pain is so horrible all you can do is cry and wish you could die, there is absolutely nothing you can take or do about it. Which would be different if the pain was being adequately controlled and there WAS no breakthrough pain, which she suggests is the case...but of course 8 years with no increase there is nothing BUT breakthrough pain.
    ALSO, I have not had any MRI's or tests done in more than 5 years...the pain has gotten so much worse since then... I never used to have neck pain but I have had constant neck pain for more than 3 years now. I have brought this up to her MANY times and she just said it was probably muscular pain. When I asked her about getting new MRI's after five years she just said "well, it can't be a tumor or an infection or you would be DEAD by now, so anything else doesn't really matter. !!!!!!!!!!!!! what the heck???!!!!
    I mean seriously now!!! YEt I have put up with all of this because of all of the many other terrible experiences I have had trying to find pain relief while being young...
    I just do not know what to do anymore!!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

I'm so sorry for what your going through right now. The last thing you want to hear is get another doctor, but if it was me.... I would have to find someone else. With her attitude of "you would be dead by now", tells me this doctor has no compassion what so ever. It sounds to me like she has not been doing a very good job of managing your pain anyway. Good luck to you sweetie and keep us posted.

Bullymom

Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
    oldbackbone
    (male)

oldbackbone HB User

Hey Friarjen,
    As much as I hate to say it, this may be a blessing in disguise. You now have a chance to get some better quality Pain Management.I'm so sorry you are going through all this, but as inadequate as she was, you would probably never have moved on from this doc.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

thanks guys... I know you are absolutely right about that oldbackbone... I know I never would have moved on from her if this hadn't happened. never. I was too terrified I wouldn't be able to find someone else that would prescribe ANYTHING at all since that has been my experience... it has happened so many times. now that I have had some time to think about it I do feel that it's good that I will now be forced to find someone who will treat me better and actually treat my pain... it's just what to do in the meantime that I am so scared about... how long will it take to find someone else... and how I am supposed to survive until then??? I am so frustrated...I was supposed to go on a big trip with my sister, who I never see, at the end of the month, a lot of traveling and a few weeks with her and my nephew... I told her I don't see how it will be possible unless I find another doctor before then.
    I guess my big question is, when I go see another pain doctor and he asks for my records from this doctor, what do I do????? I really don't want to release them to anyone else... I would like to start over with a clean slate and not have 2 false negative drug tests on my record... is this possible??
    what do I do if he asks me WHY I don't want to release them?? just be honest?? I'm just scared that no one will believe me after this!!! has anyone else had to handle something like that???
    thanks for listening...
    Jen

Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Whatever you do, don't LIE to him. Be honest-and have your dad along for backup. It really helps to have another person along-especially at your "young age." Be honest and tell him the issue that occured. And get a lab test done for back up verification. Also make sure to tell him about her attitude-don't be dramatic, be factual keep the emotion out of it. Tell him you need better care.

good luck hon!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

thanks...I definitely don't want to lie...I just don't want to have the records released at all. In the morning I have to go back to see the doctor that all of this happened with...the last week has been probably one of the worst of my entire life. I am down to 60 mgs daily from the 90 I was previously on...the pain has been so bad that I seriously have not left my house and barely my bed for the entire week. I sit at home with 3 heating pads on my back...one for each spine. I cannot live like this. I really want to give up. I am wondering if I should just go ahead and have the 12 level fusion of my entire thoracic spine that all of the surgeons have suggested...something I never wanted to do but now I have nothing stopping with me with no pain relief whatsoever in a few weeks when she has weaned me off completely. I don't know what to do.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

Jen....
    Please let us know how the doctors appointment went. I'm praying for you. I also left you a pm.

bullymom

Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm with Bullymom- please let us know how the appointment went. I am hoping that your doctor has found that her oral swab tests are faulty, apologizes to you and will continue to treat you.

This would, at the very least, buy you some time to find another doctor and not go without some kind of treatment for your pain.

Let us know how it went, ok?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

wellllllllll it did not go any better than the last one... it was really stupid and frustrating as ever. All she did was count the pills and then dump all the rest of them in the trash. she barely even came into the room and she didn't ask one single question about if I was having any withdrawals or side effects or even how I was doing. I had another week that I was supposed to be taking 60 mgs of morphine per day - 30 mgs twice a day and those were what she dumped. now I am down to 45 mgs per day (half of my regular dose ) and in only one week. I do feel the withdrawals. I can't sleep, I can't eat. I haven't eaten anything at all for an entire week, I feel so sick over all of this. I am up all night either crying or with severe anxiety about how I am going to live now. Can withdrawals cause a rash?? I have broken out in a rash everywhere, itching everywhere, and I haven't had a rash since I was a little kid.
    The only thing I am holding onto right now is that I called the office of a pain doctor that I had seen several years ago... he was the one who did all of my epidural steroid injections and all of those things we all go through... he was really very caring and nice but I never asked him to take over my pain management because at that time my primary care doctor was handling everything. I feel like he is probably my best shot right now at finding another doctor. I called and asked if I could come back in to see him and they said as soon as I send my recent records they will get me in...which I am personally going to pick up and look through before I hand any over to them so at least I will know what she has been saying about me.
    I feel so hopeless!! All I can think about for the last week is that I really just want to die. I am not suicidal or wanting to kill myself but I really just don't want to do this anymore. It is not worth it.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

Jen,
    I think this may be a blessing after all. This doctor is not someone I would want to have care for me or anyone I love for that matter. I'm so very sorry for what has happened. The rash could very well be from stress. Your body is going through a terrible ordeal right now, and hives are very common during those times. Can you take a hefty dose of benedryl tonight? It might help you sleep as well. I would certainly go back to your docs office and tell them you are not leaving without a copy of your records. Let them know that you have to have them in order to be seen. If things get really bad, you may consider going to the ER and see if they would be willing to help you out for a few days until you get in to see the new doctor. I wish you the best and please keep us posted. I'm very worried about you right now. Just remember, you won't die from wd's, but it's going to be very rough for a few days. Please don't loose hope, someone will help you. We are here to help you through this, so stay in touch.

Bullymom

Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Jen,
    I can't imagine how difficult it must be to go through such an incredible ordeal.
    I've been dealing with chronic pain for 26 years and I've been through my share of doctors and then some. I have yet to have a doctor who has given me my records to take to the next doctor. They always insist on sending them. This being said, I'd find someone you trust and have them help you draft a letter to the new doctor explaining what happened. I say to find someone else to help you as I've been down your road and I have found that I can emotional about what's going on and I've needed my husband to help me just state the facts and not be judgmental or hysterical. I've good success when working with my hubby and putting my side of the story on paper.
    I'd start preparing a document now, and not trying to write something up at the last minute. You'll need time to write it, reflect on it, and rewrite it.
    They said at work that if it's not in writing it didn't happen. Remember, your old doctor has it (whatever it is) in writing, and you need to do the same.
    I would also start a pain journal if you haven't already done so.
    Please let us know what else we can do to help.
    Please keep us posted on how things go.
    Peggy

Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh Jen- I am so sorry it didn't go well. How aweful this is especially since you did nothing wrong!

By law, if you choose to get copies of your medical records for yourself, they can NOT refuse. You have a right to request and receive copies at any time. Now, this office may send everything out for transcription somewhere else, in which case they will have to be mailed, but sweetie, by law they have to mail them to you if you request it. They can NOT refuse it for any reason. You will find that you will have to pay for the copies however.

I had copies of medical records made and mailed to me and it ended up costing somewhere around $30.00 + shipping and I had to give them a credit card over the phone prior to them processing my request. My former doctor sent his records to another facility for transcription.

You did nothing wrong here, so I would really recommend that you get in with that other doctor and without being overly specific, you can let them know that due to inaccurate oral swab test results you were falsley accused of breaking the rules. Let him know that regardless of what you said or offered to do, your other doctor just was unwilling to hear you or allow you to provide any kind of proof that you are innocent.

I know you are extremely worried and upset about this, all of us would be if we were in this situation, but please know we are here for you. I know that won't take your pain away, but hopefully will help make you feel better at least a little.

Get those records and get in with the other doctor. Take care and continue to come here and look for support.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-07-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Closed Thread