It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Excruciating pain in my arm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
    smegan
    (female)

smegan HB User
    Excruciating pain in my arm

I've been getting these very strange arm pains. I usually feel the tingle during the day usually and it gradually gets worse and worse. It gets so bad, excruciating. It usually spreads the whole way up my arm, one arm at a time. It feels quite hot as well. Keeping it completely still when it gets bad is the only way to deal with it but any slight movement and its agony again. Does anyone know what this is or how i can treat it?? The first time it happened was only a few months ago but it's been happening more and more frequently. I've somewhat linked it to the day after a night of drinking but I can't quite remember, it might not be that at all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    Re: Excruciating pain in my arm

you need to get an MRI of your cervical spine. Arm pain, weakness and tingling are most often from something in your neck (compressed spinal cord, pinched nerve(s), etc.) Go to the doctor and explain your symptoms and any doctor worth their weight will get your a cervical xray and MRI. Almost all of the people with neck problems have some arm pain. You should go sooner rather than later, as if there is nerve damage, it can become permanent if you wait a along time.

The only thing I'm not sure about is both of your arms hurting. Usually it's only one side. I would guess that it feels worse after you've been drinking because EVERYTHING feels worse after you've been drinking. One way to solve that is to not drink so much

Old 07-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Excruciating pain in my arm

great advice there toonces(glad to see ya posting agin too) you most definitely need a very thorough neuro eval by at least your primary here and then a badly needed c spine level contrasted type of MRI just to see what IS generating this down both arms at all? 'something" would have to be actually impacting the spinal in a much more 'centrally located way' in order for you to even have this type of symptom bilaterally(both arms and not 'just" only one instead?)?

the contrast being added just can help to kind of better highlight certain findings in that spinal level that simply do not always,or even at all, show up on plain MRI. this will also show your vascular levels running thru that area too to certain degrees since contrast runs thru and is simply injected into the vascular system too?

just what are your very 'exacting' symptoms and what do they 'feel like' to YOU(just what 'type' of actual pain are you really feeling)? and are there ANY really specific fingers that feel much more impacted in any way than others do? this all would matter and track back much more easily to very very specific c spine vertebral levels up there? but this just does sound very much within that c spine since anything below that does not innervate all the way down to actual fingers in a sensory way? the T 1 level DOES run down that arm, but stops very short of going into the hands and is more stopped at just beyond that elbow level? but with the standard c spine MRI order, the first like four initial T spine vertebral levels are also taken in and seen too.

do you actually have ANY history or present pain or other issues going on within your neck or upper back area or is this just 'strctly" only what you described above ONLY, down the arms?

one BIG question here for ya since when any nerves are involved or esp when the actual spinal cord is involved to any real degree is we can 'feel like' cetain "things" are being "felt/percieved" but not actually there, or "going on" kinda thing? do your arms simply feel to YOU, more inside your head that they are feeling 'hot' or is there an actual temp change going on there too that IS felt in reality by you or someone else when they touch your arms? this IS kinda important to know. i would definitely make an asap appt with your primary for that neuro eval and get the referral for a contrasted form of MRI being done. this really IS the very best form of a baseline type of testing for ruling in and ruling out certain things? this just IS the only type of real in depth testing that gets down to where many bigger issues simply can be located? within that nerve root level and of course the actual spinal cord too.

you just DO definitely have 'something" going on up more than likley within that c spine level that would have to be a more centrally(midline) located issue. and that just needs identifying right now. the ONLY other possible area where this could be realistically stemming from, but just much less likely would be the brain? but this just DOES sound like c spine somewhere in the lower portion of that c level(like c 6-c 8?)?
    i do hope this at least will show up on the MRI so you simply do KNOW what this is simply stemming from? please DO keep us posted hon, and make darn certain to ALWAYS obtain your very own copies of any and all testing that ever gets done on you(including THIS MRI report),for many reasons. seeing what IS in that summary at what will be your MRI rad report will really also help US to better help you with the best possible advice per findings there? marcia

Closed Thread