It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• does burning the nerves help soft tissue pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 AM   #16
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: does burning the nerves help soft tissue pain

Congrats BMM, its great when someone has success with a procedure.
    I'm curious are you off all your meds? All of your problems must have been coming from nerve pain.
    John I'm not sure everyone who has the ablation done can go off all meds as the nerves do grow back & I imagine your problems would have to be all nerve related. I have nerve, muscle & now my PM believes problems stemming from scar tissue from the fusion. Ive met those who had great success & those who had none & claimed to have more pain. I'm curious to see how it goes for you Aframe.

If I had more success from the ESIs then I'd opt for the ablation. I have some but not enough to be assured with ablation. My only concern with ablation would be scar tissue.
    Good luck Aframe & enjoy you success BMM, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #17
    bmmmontero
    (female)

bmmmontero HB User

I'm noticing a lot of popping in my neck and upper back 4 days after Rfa nerve burning. The nerves are trying to send pain messages to each other with no luck causing me slight discomfort. This is normal as I was told by the PA this would happen. This procedure for the most part takes 2 weeks for results with increased pain during that time frame. I had a fusion and laminectomy done at L3, L4, L5 levels with a failed fusion at L4 & L5. The Dr told me I'm not a good candidate for Rfa treatment. I might try the electric sttimulator where they place this thin transmitter under your skin with wiring near your spine at these levels. The wiring diminishes the pain and coverts it to a tingling/vibrating sensation. You can also have this procedure done on your neck. Does anyone know if it works? Walk, stretch and slight exercise helps with my pain. I have to stay committed to it if I want relief. Happy Holidays to all of you. Bill

Old 12-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #18
    bmmmontero
    (female)

bmmmontero HB User

I stopped taking opiates because I started abusing them. Withdrawals from it were horrible. I'm currently taking Lyrica 100mg 4 times a day with slight improvement. I am going to ask my new pain mgmt Dr if he could recommend something better than Lyrica that's not narcotic. Also I'm going to ask him if I can get prescriptions for massages & physical therapy for my neck while the nerves are asleep. Bill

Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Even if your pain isnt "nerve related" or neuropathic, surely they can kill the nerves responsible for transmitting pain to the brain, in the same way a dental anaesthetic stops the pain of having ones teeth drilled, which isnt neuropathic pain?

I might be wrong of course, but thats how it seems to a layman like me.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread