It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Oxycontin is it really all that good, also celebrex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
    JMiller

JMiller HB User
    Post Oxycontin is it really all that good, also celebrex

Hey guys,
    I went to prompt care today. The attending pchyscian talked to my PM doc and got an increase on my oxycontin til friday when I see the PM clinic. Oxycontin 10mg 2 a day wasnt helpin, I went in to the prompt care for help, they did demerol 50mg injection in the butt, then I went back in at night cuz the pain returned. So today they finally got increased to 20mg twice a day. Also, one of my family members reemed me out for not taking celebrex, my tumor doctor prescribed me celebrex (I belive just to get me to shut up cuz he there is not much they can do about te tumors)and he LAUGHED at me when I asked about oxycontin. I'd like to see him laugh when he see
    they put me on oxycontin. I really dont see why I should still take the celebrex, my pain isnt muscle related, its an anti-inflmatiory (NSAID)and if 60mg of torridol injection dosent allievate pain celebrex i dont thinkw ill. BUt my family keeps drilling it in to me that celebrex needs to build up over a week to work. But I just dont see why if im on oxycontin, my pain is going to be gone why take the celebrex?.

Jer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
    davidc66
    Inactive

davidc66 HB User
    Hey Jer, I'm glad you got the increase before you see your PM doc, this will speed the process up a bit.

In your reading about your disease have you found any info that these tumors respond to any of the Cox2 inhibitors. I would say give it a try for 2 weeks to appease your family unless it bothers your stomach. It sounds like they all have an opinion on how to manage your pain, It must be terribly frustrating. Does anyone else in your family have NFM ? I was under the impression it was passed on genetically. If a parent or Grand parent had it the treatment of pain was different in those generations, The attitude was much worse about the use of opiates than it is now, they didn't have long acting meds other than meth prior to the 90's so they grew up in a time of suffering and just suck it up, That doesn't mean that's what you should do.

Being young doesn't mean they can't treat your pain aggressively either. Are you using any of the anti convulsive like Neurontin or Topamax. It's a miracle drug for many folks with nerve pain and part of many CPers cocktail to manage pain.

AS Far as Oxy, I know we are all different but I didn't get the bed out of my den until I reached 120 mgs a day, 40 TID. Even then the relief was limited. My script beni's were running out so I switched to meth. The next year we had better beni's so I tried Kadian, That was the best, smoothest and longest lasting, I never felt a dose wear off or Kick in. There is another new 24 hour morphine product called Avinza. For me I pretty much had to try them all to see what worked best. Now I know but must stay within a budget so it's back to meth, until we have script ins again or I have a pump implanted.

When you see your doc be sure to be clear on how long you should give each dose before you call. During titration they should expect to hear and see you more often until they get you on the right dose. If you settle for less now it will look like a tolerance issue down the road. Don't worry about numbers whether it's 80 mgs a day or 800 what's important is how you respond and the side effects.

Did you read my response to Danny, and the article about Fentanyl and Ketemine. Apparently the NMDA receptor plays an important role. Morphine is being tested with Dextromathorphan because dextro is also a NMDA blocker. Some docs have their patients take liquid Dextro "cough syrup" with morphine to block the NMDA receptor and decrease tolerance and increase effectiveness. Their is still lots of things to try so don't give up if Oxy isn't the answer for you. Don't be discouraged by doses and numbers, that's all they are is numbers.

You just have to keep pluggin away till you find what works for you. Don't let someone else's opinion "family" influence your treatment. They won't agree with everything that helps but you are the one living with this. Take care, David

Closed Thread