It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Trying to Live with Piriformis Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
    Gilden
    (male)

Gilden HB User
    Re: Trying to Live with Piriformis Syndrome

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonome View Post
    Hi, Im new to the board, Ive been diagnosed with piriformis syndrome, Im not an athlete like you but I tore mine lifting a patient from the floor, I also have 3 bulging discs, I found the thing that helps most is the lidoderm patches, you can use up to 3 for 12 hours, it helps alot, Im having my first injection into the piriformis the first of Oct. I m hoping it helps. I hurt in my right low back down in the hip and down the back of my right leg, my 4 toes are numb from the sciatia that is pressed from the piriformis. I cant sleep at night, I stay in constant pain, I feel like Im gonna lose my mind at times and I feel so isolated from my family and friends, Im out of work due to the injury, been out for 3 months, I walk with a limp because I hurt so much on the right side. My prayers are with you and every one else here that is dealing with pain, I just want to get back to normal! hope this helps you, take care...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
    Gilden
    (male)

Gilden HB User

check out platelet rich plasma injections (***). If you pain is not remitting, you may have tendon degeneration-tendinosis (NOT tendon inflammation--tendonitis). if that's the case, all the massage and physical therapy in the world is likely to have very limited, if any, benefit. but platelet rich plasma injections are increasingly being used to jump start the healing of soft tissues, especially tendons, that have degenerated due to overuse injuries. there are over 5,000 references to *** in the online data base of the National Library of Medicine, so *** is being seriously looked at. and if you're not sure if your pain is coming from inflammation (tendonitis) or degeneration (tendionosis)...and the pain will feel the same to you...then do not take a cortisone shot (which weakens tendons) and do not take any Ibuprofen (check the medical literature on this.....Ibuprofen is now known to interfere with collagen formation in tendons). also, start with a good MRI. your problem might not be piriformis, but it could be gluteus medius (same area of the butt). these muscle tendon groups are vulnerable to overuse injuries associated with a lot of running and step aerobics; I speak from personal experience.

Gilden

Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #18
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

are you sure it's not sciatica? it sounds like your sciatic nerve, which could be helped greatly by a chiropractor

Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
    Gilden
    (male)

Gilden HB User

How do you know that you "tore" your piriformis? was this confirmed by MRI (the only way I know)

and exactly WHAT are you being injected with? Cortisone? I'd be very reluctant to have that done. if you've got tendinosis (tendon degeneration) and you have cortisone injected, it will make the tendon degeneration worse.
    Be extremely careful.

a much safer way to proceed would be the *** injections (see earlier post); those have no risk (it's your own blood after all). check out this good medical review article (available via a Google search): "Platelet rich plasma injection grafts for musculoskeletal injuries: a review" Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med

also, have you considered doing any program of eccentric rehabilitation of your muscle groups? It is known that an eccentric loading regime helps tendinopathy (see: Rheumatology, 2008:47:1444-1445). The mechanical loading -- eccentrically -- of muscles can enhance tendon healing; there is medical research that goes back 25 years to substantiate this, though Chiropractors and PTs do not teach this form of rehabilitation. It's a great conservative intervention. Eccentric exercises are the so-called "negative" work; if you fully contract a muscle as a starting point, and then gradually extend the muscle under tension (using, for example, your hand to apply external pressure), the tendon/muscle group WILL lengthen, provided that the force applied by your hand exceeds the resisting force produced by the tendon/muscle group. Even though the muscle may be fully activated, it is forced to lengthen due to the high external load placed by your hand. Again, there is a long medical history of the effectiveness of this treatment. Muscles don't like to lengthen, and so I won't kid you, this can be hard work; you've got to stick with it. and getting at the muscles of your butt this way is very difficult, obviously. but if you can loosen up and lengthen surrounding musculature, it may take the pressure off your butt muscles and give you some pain relief. It's worth a try.

Gilden

Closed Thread