It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Kadian side effects - Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
    *Waylin*

*Waylin* HB User
    Post Kadian side effects - Help

Hello, I'm new here and need help. I've been taking Kadian for about five years (240 mgs. daily) and I'm having possible side effects/withdrawal systems (nausea, diarrhea, cold sweats, insomnia, bad dreams). I had these bouts for 7-8 days, once per month for about four years. Now, their duration is 2-4 days weekly. I've been in hospital several times and been tested for just about everything, since they started, in hopes of discovering the cause. Could Kadian be the cause? Has anyone had the same thing while on Kadian? Please reply with any info. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by *Waylin* (edited 04-18-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
    chumbo

chumbo HB User
    Hi waylin, I have only been on kadian for 5 months. I take 100mg 2x day. When I first started taking it, I had a lot of sweating. That lasted on and off for about a month, My Dr told me that too much or lack of the med can cause any of the listed side effects.

You probably just need to talk to your Dr about swithching your pain med, I am not sure if mscontin is simular to kadian, but maybe he can switch you to that.

chumbo

Old 04-18-2003, 08:39 PM   #3
    *Waylin*

*Waylin* HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi Chumbo,

Thanks for the reply. When you referred to the listed side effects, were you meaning the ones that I listed? I've never had sweating and it's probably the only one I haven't had. What is MS Contin? Is it a narcotic and is it addictive? Is it prescribed for any particular type of pain or just pain in general? Currently, I have to take a combo of fifteen pills a day, plus Statex for breakthrough if I need it, and I loathe taking pills! Do you have to take anything with MS Contin? Does it cause constipation etc., or can you take it alone? How effective is it in controlling pain? Anything you can tell me is great, as I know nothing about this med.
    My doc suggested M. Eslon to replace the Kadian but, the pharmacist told me it's also a morphine product
    and I want to get totally off morphine. My doc is a good guy but, he's a country gp with a heavy practice. I don't think he has the time to keep up with all of the new meds, to be honest. So, whatever you can tell me about MS Contin, or anything else you can suggest, is very much appreciated. Thanks so much!

*Waylin*

Old 04-19-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
    chumbo

chumbo HB User
    Wayln,, I was referring to the side effects listed on the pharmacy printout that comes with the meds. I can't remember right off, if the ones you listed are all on there. Usually people taking a narcotic get constipation.. Diarhea, is usually associated with withdrawals, from what I have read.

I mentioned ms contin, it is also a narcotic, it is morphine sulphate, It is a time release med also. I think the only difference is that ms contin is released over 12 hours, and Kadian is released over a 24 hour period. I don't know if I understand your question. You said you wanted to get off of morphine, and that you did not like taking pills. They do have a patch you can get, but it is actually stronger than morphine it's called fentanyl patch.

These concerns you have, are probably something you should discuss with your physician. I am not educated very well on all of the different meds. I can only share my experience with you..

I wish you luck.

chumbo

Old 04-19-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
    *Waylin*

*Waylin* HB User
    Chumbo,

Thanks for your info. When I go back to my doc, I just want to have some information about MS Contin so that I don't sound like a complete idiot. So, anything you can tell me is great. At the pharmacy where I go, they usually take pills out of their original package and put them into their own and give you a printout that tells you the details about the drug. So, I never see the drug company's info sheet.
    I'm seeing my doc on Apr. 30th, so I'll be sure to ask him all about MS Contin, then. I'm glad that you told me about the patch. I'll also ask if it's available in Canada and if it might be for me. It would be heaven to get up in the morning and not have to take all of those pills! I literally get up and debate whether it's worth the pain to not have to take the pills. It never is!
    I guess I'm looking for a pain manager that isn't morphine-based, so I can see if morphine(Kadian)is what's causing these attacks that I'm having. I am desperate to get rid of them.

*Waylin*

[This message has been edited by *Waylin* (edited 04-19-2003).]

Closed Thread