It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• "TYLENOL", What's the Purpose for it ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
    DragracerNpain

Question "TYLENOL", What's the Purpose for it ???

I have always wondered WHY Lortab, Vicodon, Lorcet+, Percocet,etc., etc., etc. have so much Tylenol in them and WHY it's inthere???

Why would anyone need some weak a** Tylenol mixed in with Hydrocodone or OxyCodone? The stupid Tylenol is whats sooooo bad for your Liver.

It's pretty dumb to mix Tylenol with any "narcotic" pain med. It just don't make any sense at all to do this to any "addictive" medication and then start giving the big lectures on "How Bad all the Tylenol is for your liver".

I'm not on any of these types of drugs, I've been on them before and hated the fact that I was having to consume so much Tylenol just in order to try and control my severe back pain. I was somtimes having to take up to 10-15 Lortab 10s to bring my pain down enough to tollerate it, but Iwas also harming my liver in the process.

Now I am on 3-10mg Methadone a day and have never looked at another Lortab and the Methadone is a lot easier to stop taking for up to 2 weeks at a time and not have any withdrawals. The only thing that happens is, my pain starts coming back.

I would suggest to anyone that is on any of the pain meds containing Tylenol should ask their doctor about going on Methadone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #2
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Hey Dragon,

It is my understanding that those combination meds such as Lortab,T3,vicodin and the likes is that the tylenol in them helps the narcotic work better. Those meds are also for short term pain relief. Such pain that usually doesn't last more than two weeks. For long lasting chronic pain that most of us on this board experience there are methadone and the morphine and oxycodone extended release preparations. At least that is the information that I have been given. I may be wrong. Any way I hope this helps

Matt

Old 04-18-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
    Irish Cream

The aspirin (tylenol) is for short term pain also a anti-inflamitory. My Pain DR says I can take up to 4000 mg a day including what in my Roxicet (5mg percocet and 325 tylenol)I take up to 6 of them a day. So 1-2 extra tylenols a day. Of course this doesn't work for the pain but its what I'm told to do.

I know that there are other pain pills with more tylenol in them then mine.

[This message has been edited by Irish Cream (edited 04-18-2003).]

Old 04-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
    DragracerNpain

Thanks for the replies, that was just one question that I have never been able to figure out.

I will agree 110% that Lortab, Lorcet+, Vicodan, and all of those types of pain meds should only be used for short-term problems with pain. I have taken them in the past for my pain and the only thing that happened was I ended up taking 10-15 Lortab 7.5s and 10mg a day and I still had the pain and I was just destroying my liver in the process.

I have taken some Hydrocodone 15mg capsules that were compounded with only 100mg of Tylenol and they worked a lot better untill I needed more and more of them.

Now I am on the Methadone and it is much better on the pain and I find it not near as addicting as the other pain meds.

------------------
    DragracerNpain
    [email protected] pain sux

Old 04-19-2003, 09:25 PM   #5
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Hey Dragon,

Before I got a pain magaement doctor and my new primary care doctor i was on lortab in varying strengths for the last fifteen years. Along with the wondeful nsaids. I have Hep C since 1985 from My fisrt backsurgery when I first had my back surgery. I had 3 more surgerys since then I destroy what was left of my liver. Had 3 surgerys on it last year alone. From what the past meds have done to my stomach and liver. But those meds are really meant for short term pain not chronic pain that we are in.

Matt

Closed Thread