It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• How Many Pain Doc's tell you this??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    Post How Many Pain Doc's tell you this??

Hello my friends...I had my first PM appt this morning. He kinda surprised me. I went in expecting everything I have heard on this board to happen...I expected a contract and him to by the book and suggest other things besides meds which I wish he would have but the way he explained my pain and the things they offer there and why made total sence.
    He told me that I should be very careful in considering the TMJ arthroscopy that I THOUGHT and made others here think it would cure my pain condition or at least make it livable with Tylenol.
    Well he told me today after a brief test I have alot of nerve damage on the left side of my face and head and said after 12 years of pain I will never be pain free even after surgery he even told me to consider very carefully even having it done as it may do more harm than good. He also told me after I told him everything I had done in 12 years for the pain that I am coping very well with it. He also said something very strange to me he said being on 4 percocet a day for the rest of my life wont kill me. I couldnt believe he said that...I told him my goal was to try and get the pain managable so I didnt need as strong a drug. But he says I have done well weaning myself from 20mg oxycontin twice a day with 4 percs for BT and 2mg dilaudid at bedtime down to 4 perc a day and thats all. I am off everything else and have been for 2 weeks. I told him I didnt want to take alot of tylenol so he wrote for OXY IR and Neutronin or however ya spell it lol
    He said the neutronin would stop the shooting pains in my head. He said there is nothing else to be done and I can get what he perscribed from my Gp next month as he gave me enough of each for a month. Has anyone had an experience like this with a PM doc. Dont get me wrong he was great and nice and all but is that really all he can do? No Physical therapy what I was hoping for? Thanks for your replys in advance.
    Autumn.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Autumn angel,

I have missed your posts. You were one of the reasons that I was posting. I was going to quite posting myself for reasons I won't go into here. I'm so happy that you had a good experience with your PM doc. I too was frotunate enough to have a very similar experience. I'm also on OxyIR for BT pain. I find it to do a great job on the pain .I also can't take tylenol because of the HepC I got from my first two surgerys when I broke my back. I'm on methadone for my regular pain med instead of Oxycontin. I was put on Oxycontin first but found it wasn't helping that much and the side effects were'nt all that good either. But for some reason the OxyIR does'nt bother me. Just good ole pain relief. Well I've gone on long enough. Good to see you back and doing so good. Also if I have ever offended you with one of my posts, I am truely sorry.

Matt

[This message has been edited by grizzk62 (edited 05-13-2003).]

Old 05-13-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Autumn Angel,

I forgot to add that I too di not have to sign a contract. But I can see the use for them and why some PM doctosr use them. He also recommended to me to not go ahead with the 5th surgery on my back, which the surgerys said that I need to further stablize my back and finish fuseing me from my thorasic level down to my S1. I'm currently fuse from L2 down with rods cages and lots of screws. He said that be keeping me out of pain that my activity would increase. Thus increaseing my stength in my back muscles hence stabalizing my back. I would have to agree. Since being out of pain has allowed me to exercise more and be more productive at work.I can now ride my bike for !hour each day I walk 5 miles everyday with my spouse. I have even lost wieght also being easier on my back. As I look at our two expriences there are alot of simularitys. Its good to see that I'm not alone in enjoying good doctors.

Matt

Old 05-14-2003, 12:11 AM   #4
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    Hello Matt I am glad to see you are back. I did read that one post of yours and no I didnt take offence to it at all. I can understand you totally. I was led to believe by my oral surgeon that putting my disk that now resides in my cheek back in between the jaw joints were it belongs would take away most of my pain and then onto braces and a jaw alignment which entails breaking my jaw and putting it in place with screws all done from inside the mouth somehow. It would have taken along time to get everything done not to mention the physical therapy in between the surgeries. I exhausted every option before turning to narcotics. 10 years of NSAIDS which ruined mt stomach and I now take Losec daily for, splint therapy I went through a few splints because I am a night time grinder I am told but I dont notice untill I wake up in the morning with a pain level of 8 and cant open my mouth without snapping my jaw. I have learned to eat one meal daily at suppertime because chewing hurts so bad that if I ate during the day it would take me till bedtime to get the pain under control so I could function. I have lost about 10 lbs but I am now drinking those Ensures for breakfast so I get my vitamins. I am proud of myself for getting off the meds I was taking and learning to live with a bit more discomfort rather than be on alot of narcotics. The tylenol scared me the most though. And I didnt even know we had OXY IR here in Canada untill he wrote the script today. I am kinda scared about that neutronin though but he knows best so when I get it tomorrow I will start taking it and hope it works for the shooting pains I get in my head, behind my eyes and in my temples. I started taking an accounting course 2 days ago because I had to quit months ago because with my headaches and facial numbness I couldnt concentrate at school ( adult school). I am slowly trying to show my pain who is boss here something I was afraid to do before and I feel like I might be winning a little bit. He did tell me something else I never knew before and never associated the 2...he told me many CP suffers also suffer from IBS I couldnt believe it I thought it was just another condition I had I didnt know it could be a partner of chronic pain. Anyway I am sorry for the long post and thank you for replying Matt you are a very strong man you are determind like I am to have quality of life and you are winning the battle too. God Bless you and all of us here and hope to see you again here soon.

Autumn.

Old 05-14-2003, 05:51 AM   #5
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Autumn,

Thanks for your post I was told also of the IBS thing. It explains alot LOL. I'm on neurontin as well. It is supposed to work well for nerve pain. And as far as I can tell it has helped. Congrads on getting rid of some of your meds. That is very good that you have been able to get by with less. I think you should do well with the OxyIR since you have taken the percs before. They will be alot easier on the liver. Again thanks for your encourageing words.

Matt

[This message has been edited by grizzk62 (edited 05-14-2003).]

Old 05-14-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    Thank you Matt for your reply...so the neurontin works for you? I just took my first one so wish me luck lol.
    Your pain sounds so complicated you are very strong willed to be dealing as well as you are. I am no stranger to surgeries myself and I have a few other pain conditions but I usually only talk about the MAIN one that I am being treated for but thankfully the meds I am on take care of all of them.
    I have the birth defect an excessivly long condyle (lower jawbone) plus the dislocated disk which was the result of a car accident 12 years ago. I have had many female problems which accounted for 3 of my surgeries and the final big "H" one last May. Now I have been diagnosed with multiple ovarian cysts on my right ovary they arent cancer but they can be painful and my OBGYN will not remove the ovaries because he says I am too young (42) and have a good 10 years before menopause. They will either shrink or burst he said and he is keeping an eye on them. I have carpul tunnel in my left wrist that I wear a brace for. I have renal ptosis (floating kidney) that acts up once in awhile and of course the IBS we discussed lol. Now I am being seen by a urologist because they found red blood cells in my urine at a routine physical I have to have a cystoscopy the 27th of this month which I heard is no fun I just role everything into one big pain management ball and it seems to be working. Any way didnt mean to ramble on here Matt I hope you are doing well today at work you amaze me and I just had to say that...All the trouble you have that I read about in that post and you still hold down a job and go to work everyday your spouse must be very proud of you and you should be of yourself. Take care and God bless.

Autumn.

[This message has been edited by Autumn Angel (edited 05-14-2003).]

Old 05-14-2003, 05:57 PM   #7
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Hey Autumn Angel,

I just got home from work and when I read your kind words to me it brought a tear to my eye. Thank you so much. I sometimes don't think I'm a strong person at all but my wife would agree with you. She tells me all the time how proud she is of me. I know how fortnate I am to have a wonderful wife that has been there for me through it all. Yes I do work and I have a great employer who also has been great to me. They know of my conditions and are very good to me when I need time off and the such. I too hace a bundle of painful problems but I mainly talk about my main one. That of course would be my back. But my liver does tend to give me fits from time to time. And the IBS thing does as well LOL. I am fortunate to have great docs and a great treatment plan.

I think that any of us who have been down the roads that you and I have been down are couragous. And I really draw alot of strength from people like you. You have been most kind in your post to me and others. I wish and aspire to be as giving as you have been.

Autumn you amaze me from readng about you and to hear what you have been through and what you have accomplished. Keep it up. And I diffently will be able to continue to improve myself because of you and people like you that I choose to have in my life. That truely is my secret. I see others that are going trough what I am and I'm able to draw strength from them to get up every morning and go trough my day.

Again thanks for your reply and I do hope that Our friendship will only grow from here. Have as much of a pain free day as possible.... Love

Matt

Old 05-14-2003, 07:22 PM   #8
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    Good Evening Matt ...I hope your day at work went well and thank you also for your kind words I help where I can support of people that understand our pain is crucial I think. I havent always been as chipper as I am nowdays. Awhile back I suffered from terrible anxiety attacks daily I could set my watch by them. Every night between 9 and 11 pm. I have 3 wonderful daughters 21 ( she lives 2 hours from me) 18 and 12. I really try not to let them know the extent of my pain at times and kinda suffer silently thats what brought me to these boards in the first place. You are so lucky to have your wife for emotional support and now you got us too . I just wanted to know did you ever suffer from depression and anxiety due to your pain condition? I was put on Ativan on a take as needed basis for awhile it would stop the attacks in thier tracks. I havent touched one in 3 months and I dont even realize what I have done to "fix" myself. So I am giving all the credit to people like you Matt, the people that chat with me here and on the depression board in the past. You are a good friend Matt and I am glad we can take the time to support each other Have a wonderful night.
    Autumn.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #9
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Hi Autumn,

Yes I do have a wonderful wife. I wish that we were able to have children. But because of my injury I was unable to perform on that level for quit some time. And then I found out that I had Hep C when that problem was corrected through surgery. But any how on to the deppresion. Yes I suffered horribly for the first couple of years after I broke my back. I thought for the longest time that God if he was merciful that he would just take me. It took me over a year just to learn how to walk again. But for the grace of God i am still here. I know that I was put here on this earth to help people now. It took me a long time to realize that. I went the whole gammit of drugs. And I'm still on some. I'm on wellbutrin and trazadone and elavil. The elavil helps with the pain and IBS as well.

As you can see I could probably write a book on my recovery. But the only way for me to talk about my journey is to tell a little about it every time I talk. Autumn thank you again for your kind words and support.

By the way I had a very good day at work. It was way busy. But thats the way I like it. The day seems to go alot faster that way. Especially on days like today when the sun is shining and it was 80 degrees outside. It took a busy day just to keep me at work. Well autumn I look forward to a long friendship with you. And you as well have a good evening and may it be pain free...

Matt

Old 05-15-2003, 02:01 AM   #10
    chriztene
    (female)

chriztene HB User
    Autumn,

I had a cystoscopy and no they are not fun, but, bearable...This is when they diagnosed me with Interstitital Cystitis.

You will experience quite a bit of discomfort following the cystoscopy, but, it goes away in a few days. The pain will mainly be burning when urinating, but, they should give you pyridium to help with this.

I wish you the best,

Christine

Old 05-15-2003, 10:37 PM   #11
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    Thank you Chriztene...My dad had one the other day and said it burns like razors for awhile after just what I need more pain ugh. Well at least I will have a Dx then and there unlike other tests where you have to wait days to weeks right? Thank you again for the info.

Autumn.

Old 05-16-2003, 03:31 AM   #12
    chriztene
    (female)

chriztene HB User
    Autumn,

Yes, burning...I am sure your urologist will send you home with pain medication and pyridium. If he doesnt give you pyridium, I would definately ask for a prescription. They also have pyridium plus which I believe has an ingredient which relaxes you.

I hope your father is doing well. I was surprised prior to getting the cystoscopy done, There were 2 men already having theirs done. Men do indeed have interstitial cystitis. I wasnt aware of this prior to getting diagnosed.

Good luck on your procedure

Christine

Old 05-22-2003, 01:04 PM   #13
    meye3sons

meye3sons HB User
    I am new to these boards, but feel like I am getting some wonderful information. I have 2 herniated disc's in my neck and have been in constant pain since Nov. 2002. Have done the anti-inflams, muscle relax, oxys, hydrocod 7.5 and physical therapy. I must admit--all to very little avail. Also use the Lidoderm patches during the day, but the darn things won't stay on!!
    Point of this reply...I did just come from my first PM visit. A very nice DR., actually the first doctor who I feel is actually treating the problem--which for me, is to relieve my pain--without having to go thru surgery. She perscribed Vioxx(tried the Mobic, but gave me heart burn, rapid heart beat and high blood pressure) and Neurontin 300mg. That and the ES Vicodine I am hoping will give me some relief from the pain. On July 1st, I will bite the bullet and get my first of three cervical epiderals...hoping 1 will do the trick(am petrified of needles). Anyone have these shots in the neck? Let me know how it worked. Thanks

Closed Thread