It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Just wondering if anyone had some advice for me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #46
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Thanks again for being here for me HikingFan and catgirl Also thanks for replying mokita...

You guys will be glad to know that due to my pain journal, I was finally prescribed something stronger than Lortabs. He realized that the Lortabs weren't helping *AT ALL* according to what I had written in each entry in my pain journal. Since i'd tried percocet 7.5/500's (I had 2 left from my surgery last month), and it actually brought my pain down from a 9 to a 6.5-7 which to me is tons better than what it's been! So he gave me a script for 50 perc 7.5/500's. Every 4 hrs as needed for pain. I sure hope this will help a lot more than the Lortabs!

Oh and I'm progressing (Shoulder pain-wise) in my adjustments. One of the major points that my pain was coming from has almost completely disappeared, but I had another point move down after that one went away. Apparently, that pain that was lower is a transferred pain (this is I think what the Dr. called it) from my gallbladder removal and adhesions in there that shoots in my back..I also have a rotated disc?? Caused from the slippage from my transitional S1 vertebrae or whatever...I don't remember his exact words...But it's all seeming to get better... The stress will get better because I won't be in so much pain, and I won't be in as much pain cuz I won't be in so much stress!..

I hope anywho...

Haha...Well, I'm in a better mood today, since I *FINALLY* got through to my doctor. It's like today he stopped looking at me as some stupid whiney kid...and saw me as a desperate patient in need of some relief...

Well, I wanted you all to know how thankful I am for your help, because I'm finally getting somewhere.. I still haven't been referred to a PM doc but for now, if my doc is going to help me, I will just do it that way...

Thank you guys SO much for being here for me. I will keep you guys updated on how I'm feeling... I love that you guys are here listening to how I'm doing, and I actually feel like someone cares what I'm going through, and actually UNDERSTANDS what I'm going through... There's a huge difference of someone who cares for you, but doesn't understand what you're going through..and someone who cares, and DOES know what you're going through. Thanks again....

------------------
    - * HockeyCrystal * -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2003, 06:27 PM   #47
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    OOPS!

[This message has been edited by HockeyCrystal (edited 06-30-2003).]

Old 06-30-2003, 11:07 PM   #48
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    I'm glad to hear that you finally got some meds that give you some relief. This was probably a great learning experience, about figuring out how to express yourself to successfully get what you need.

One thing I'm worried about....what does your Dr. suggest you do to fix the pain besides take the meds? I am concerned that he is not referring you to a PM doc, or physical medicine doctor. I just want him to help find the root cause of all this pain, not just medicate the symptoms, ya know?

Well its nice to hear you sound so happy in your last post...have a wonderful, pain-free night! Maybe you can actually get some sleep for once.

Good Night!!!

Old 07-01-2003, 05:07 PM   #49
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    FANTASTIC!!!! Doesn't it feel great to accomplish something . I'm so happy for you. Especially know that not only is your pain level going to decrease but your stress level as well.

Keep up the good work & keep on that doctor to find the "root of your pain" as HikingFan said.

I'm so proud of you http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif Cat

Old 07-02-2003, 05:34 PM   #50
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    I do feel better, and I've been sleeping a little better (not much, but even a little is better than none)... The past couple days though my hips have really been hurting, and though I've been trying to not take a pill every 4 hours, sometimes I have no choice...My doctor is actually looking for where the problems are coming from. My gallbladder pains are because of adhesions, which there isn't a lot they can do for them anyways, because if I have them surgically removed, then in a couple months they'll be back worse than ever, or just as bad as before...

My back pain, most due to the deformity I was born with.. I do think he's trying to figure out the root of my other problems (i.e. my shoulder pain....) .. My hips hurting are because of my transitional vertebrae thing that I was born with....it puts a lot of pressure on my hips... And my rotated disc also from the trans. vert...My doctor has explained to me where most of the pain comes from, and we've been trying to figure out what could've caused my shoulder to start hurting like that...

So don't fret...He's working on figuring out whats going on exactly...But in the mean time, he's FINALLY helping me cope with the pain...Well, I've gotta go get some dinner so I may take my meds... (If I don't, I'll get pretty nauseated)...

Thanks again for being around...Yesterday my pain level stayed around 5-6 when I was on my meds...And it felt great, but as soon as my meds start wearing off, i'm back up to an 8-9...So anyways, I just wanted you to know that the meds are actually helping me..

I will write more again soon. Possibly tonight after I get some much needed relief! I'm at about a 8.5 right now.... (haven't had a percocet in about 7 hours....was too busy to take one until just recently, and now i gotta eat first)...

Talk to you guys soon.

------------------
    - * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 07-04-2003, 01:55 AM   #51
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Do you guys know if it's okay if I take 1 1/2 percocet 7.5's at one time? Well not at one time, but an hour and a half after taking one, my pain is still pretty high, and I was going to take a half to see if it would help a little more...Will this hurt me at all? I know there are Percocet 10's, but taking a half also, would equal like 11.25 mg of Percocet and 750mg of Tylenol...

Any answers would be helpful! Thanks guys

------------------
    - * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 07-04-2003, 08:21 AM   #52
    jane2

jane2 HB User
    Any type of doctor can treat your pain, but they have to be willing to take treat all you pain problems. Some doctors want to see you every time for prescriptions. Their way of monitoring you.

One option would be a GP, as they are oversee all you medical problems. The other option is a pain clinic. If you go to a pain clinic make sure they treat all the types of pain you have and don't just do shots, which is better for spinal problems (sometimes).

Mane sure you have all your tests and information. So that you can prove you have all these conditions.

Leg pain (l5, L4) - probably spine related

Migraines

MS Contin, Valium, Neurontin and Soma

Old 07-04-2003, 10:07 PM   #53
    catgirl
    Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
    HockingCrystal,

If you want to risk running out of your pain meds to early I think taking the 1/2 of percocet is fine. Just remember that when you run out of your pain med you might not be able to get a refill until the appropriate prescription time has elapsed.

Can you try a hot pack, ibuprofen or some other topical type pain relief to get you through? Even just lying down & resting a bit can sometimes ease the pain until it's time to take another pain med.

Sorry your in so much pain & I hope this helps a little. Thinking of you. Cat

Old 07-04-2003, 11:20 PM   #54
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    cat-
    Hey, well I don't really worry about running out early, because I only take like 3 pills in a day, I take them more every 6 hours as need rather than every 4...So instead of taking 4 while I'm awake and 1 in the middle of the night (which is what I was taking the Lortabs at) I'm more taking 3 during the day and usually none in the middle of the night...So I'm saving 2 pills a day by doing that...So if I take a 1/2 every so often, it won't do any harm?? I won't run out early, I'm sure, because I sometimes don't even take it every 6 hrs if I'm not in too much pain.. Usually I try to just relax for a while and wait until the pain is so bad that I need a pain killer...But I don't make it so extreme that I'm feeling like I'm dying of pain and then take a pain pill...But if I'm only at a 7, I will wait until I'm up to an 8 or so before I take a pill, because to me, A 7 is almost bearable (after being in a 8-9 almost constant with no relief at all from the lortabs)...but, I try to take them whenever I really need them so I don't just take them to take them..I want to take them because i REALLY need them. Anyways, I gotta go...Going to my bf's apartment for a little while...I'll keep you guys updated... Today my pain hasn't been too horrible... Only taken 1 Percocet today, and that was several hours ago...Although I'll probably take one soon, so that I won't wake up in horrible pain in the middle of the night...Maybe it's a good sign..Maybe my pain is getting a little less!

I hope so....But I'm not getting my hopes up too high!

Thanks for your replies..

------------------
    - * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 07-06-2003, 03:40 PM   #55
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    I have another doctors appointment tomorrow, and I have a new kind of pain to report to my doctor... I have been having a lot of hip pain (in both of my hips) the past few days... I also have been getting headaches a little more frequently than I have recently... (They're getting like they used to be, everyday - every other day).... I'm wondering if I'm getting headaches maybe because of the pain meds, like when I'm waking up I haven't had a pain pill in quite a while so I'm hoping its not some kind of withdraw symptom...I don't know...But oh yeah...I have been sleeping even worse the past couple nights...Waking up like every hour if not more often... And I'm still on the anti-depressant... I don't know why though.... I am glad I have another appointment tomorrow so I can discuss this stuff with my doc..... I'm glad he doesn't have that narisistic (sp?) thing... He will say something, and he will be like "is that ok?" or something, and I'm like "I guess, you are the one that went through medical school, not me" and he will say "Well i appreciate that, but I want to help you, so I want to know what you think"... So that's cool..

------------------
    - * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 07-08-2003, 08:08 PM   #56
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Had my dr appt yesterday...He adjusted me as usual... He didn't really check my shoulder, just my hips which I complained of...I told him I tried to go swimming the other day, but I was in horrible pain afterwards.. I also told him the percocets are no longer working as well as they used to, and only bringing my pain level to a 7 (when I'm lucky) and as far up as a 9 (absolutely no relief sometimes).... He said that's me working up a tolerance, and there's no denying that the percocets are a very strong pain medication... But that's it...And he said "I see you're taking about 4 a day (by looking at my pain journal)...I'd like to get you below that..." And I wanted to bi*ch slap him and tell him if I took even less than 4 a day, I'd be dying from the pain...I already feel like I'm going to.. He told me if I think I'm gonna run out before my next appointment on next Monday (of course I will, I only have 16 left) to come out and he'd write me another script. I'm really stressed today, because it feels like I have another ovarian cyst coming today.. I can feel it starting to stab me... I was lying on the floor in the fetal position earlier... I don't know if I've told you guys about my cysts before, but I've had one burst before...not a fun experience that you all that have experienced ovarian cysts can tell anyone... Well, I am sorry for griping so much today, but I guess I just needed to vent a lot today....I'm kinda upset and in a lot of pain...I feel like I have knives in 4 different parts of my body that are twisting..And the percocets just building their tolerance even higher and higher... making my pain worse and worse... I guess I'll go now....I hope someone will give me a little support...I need some encouragement today...

------------------
    - * HockeyCrystal * -

Old 07-08-2003, 10:52 PM   #57
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    hockeyCrystal

Hang in there buddy!! Don't let this one doctor anger you too much. Just always remember that if you try their advice, and it doesn't work, you can go to a different doctor. However, remember that your doc will want to keep you at the lowest level of meds as possible, since once you move up the potency scale, you can't go back down. Since you just started the percs, don't be too quick to want to step up to something stronger...I know that is easier said than done when you are in lots of pain! Take the pain medicine as you need it (within prescribed doses), and don't be afraid to be honest and open with your doc about how your quality of life is affected by the pain.

As for the tolerance factor, this is a pain in the butt that all of us struggle against, and unfortunately is sure to affect you too...its unavoidable. Some suggest taking "drug holidays," where you take days off from your meds to lower your tolerance. This method has to be on a case by case basis, depending on whether you can handle it. For me, I couldn't function right now without my meds, so a drug holiday is out of the question. There have been some weeks in the past though where I can handle the pain with only motrin and muscle relaxers, and once the pain gets bad again, the narcotics work wonders. Unfortunately, this doesn't occur much anymore.

Keep your pain journal, and document all these visits to the doctors, and what they tell you. I'm telling ya, if you have to go to a different doc eventually, having this record of what you've tried etc. will be extremely helpful, and it will prevent you from having to start from square one.

Have you asked your doc to refer you to pain management? Does he have a comprehensive list of all the issues you are having, from your shoulder, to the hips, ovaries, etc.? I would think with your history, he will refer you eventually, because thats a lot to deal with!

Hang in there, and come to the boards and talk to us if you get too stressed!

Hugs,

Old 07-08-2003, 11:11 PM   #58
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Wink

He is aware of the ovaries, pre-cancer on my cervix (both of which I keep mostly to my ob/gyn)...Also aware of shoulder, low back, hips, gallbladder (removed 2 yrs ago), chronic migraines, chronic tension headaches, knee, ankle, and neck etc...He has been informed of everything that bothers me occassionally or on a day to day basis. When you suggested that I write down all of that stuff, I did do it...All of it.. My doctor hasn't mentioned anything about a pain management doctor, but if I keep not responding to anything the doctor is doing for me, I am going to ask him about it. I know that I'm not a candidate for back surgery right now... And my DO is still trying to figure out what is going on with my shoulder...I do stretches, adjustments, heat, ice, pain meds, and EVERYTHING else the doctor suggests.. I don't want him thinking that I am trying to act like I know more than him or anything...I love my doctor, and this is the very first time I actually got a damn doctor to take me seriously. And I have a lot of that to thank you for, HikingFan. He finally started taking me seriously after I did all the listing of things, and the pain journal. He actually acted like he finally believed me... Thank you so much for all of your support, because without your suggestions, I'm afraid I still wouldn't even be getting *ANY* pain relief as of yet... Thanks to you, I am now being taken seriously. It's not that I'm aggravated with him, I just wish I didn't have such a tolerance already. This isn't the first time I've been on Percocet 7.5's.. I've been px'd them several times... At least 5 times before this, so I obviously had a little tolerance before this time to the percocets. Anyways, I am just glad I have this pain board to talk to you guys and get support and everything... Without this sometimes I think I'd go nuts... I know you guys actually understand how i'm feeling...Maybe not exactly but at least to a point. So God Bless you all on the pain board, and I wish you all the best in your pain conquests... I am sitting here rambling on, http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif but Thanks again for all you guys' help...I'll write again tomorrow or so...Maybe later tonight, but right now I've gotta take another dose of my meds... And then I'm going to go to my bf's house for a little bit... I'm sleepy too... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gif

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif you guys http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Oh yeah, and I have tried the "drug holiday" thing too.. but when I do that, I just try to wait until night time (when it's absolutely unbearable usually) to not take any meds)
    ------------------
    - * HockeyCrystal * -

[This message has been edited by HockeyCrystal (edited 07-09-2003).]

Closed Thread