It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Doc prescribed methadone??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2003, 11:41 AM   #16
    lindao1
    Veteran
    (female)

lindao1 HB User
    Hi there everyone!

This is probably at bit off the wall, but I just had to say something about my experience. I could not tolerate ANY kind of pain meds due to the nausea.

Believe it or not, but years ago, my mother had to take pain meds and a friend of hers told her to take dramamine (motion sickness OTC med) with pain rxs. She did and never had a problem again.

When I had to go on pain meds regularly I remembered that info from my mother and started doing the same thing. I now can take any pain med whether it's Lortab, Vics, demoral, morphine, dilaudid and my current med Oxy without any nausea or vomiting. If I did try to take the meds without the dramimine I would get sick as a dog. I must stress here that I am the last person in the world who would be willing to "mix" medications, and I must tell you that even the drowsy formula of dramimine doesn't make me drowsy, even Benadryl doesn't make me drowsy. By the way, they do make a non-drowsy formula of the dramamine. This is just something I learned from my 70 year old mother who learned it from an 82 year old friend (that's why I figured it couldn't be too bad if these little ole ladies were doing it). If anyone has a problem with certain OTC meds making them drowsy then I would say don't ever go this route. I just happen to have a tolerance to these particular OTC meds and they work wonders allowing me to take my pain meds without that awful nausea and I didn't have to go thru the hassle of trying to get an anti-nausea rx.
    This is just FYI. Best Wishes, Linda

[This message has been edited by lindao1 (edited 07-29-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 09:47 PM   #17
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Hi guys

Wes, it sounds like they really underestimated your level of pain when beginning the methadone...it was my understanding that the bare minimum effective dosage for pain is 5mg every 8 hours, especially if you have tolerance to narcotics. I sure hope and pray that you are able to find a better doc who is willing to treat you with compassion. Your story is so sad because it sounds like they keep screwing with you over and over. I can't believe the info about your daughter...how can they legally refuse to treat you because you don't want to get your daughter involved with a group of total strangers...god knows what they wanted to talk to her about or ask her? that part is really disturbing to me, and I'm sure that laying down such an unreasonable ultimatum is not legal??

Matt, thanks for your input as well! You asked about the pain level, and I think it is about at a 5 with the methadone, so its seems to work better than the norco. I really like the way it helps avoid those "highs and lows." Aside from the nausea, it seems that the pain control is much more steady, and if I let the dose lapse a few hours past when I should take it, I don't get that yucky, sick feeling that the hydro gives you once your body is tolerant. If I can get the nausea straight, I think I've found a drug that might work the best so far of any I've tried. I am grateful to have access to this med, but I really wish I could have a better dialogue with my doc...hopefully I can figure that out in time as well.

Linda, I am going to try the dramimine tomorrow...I am going on a road trip to Sequoia National Park, and since I have other people with me to do the driving, it will be a good time to try it, because if it does make me sleepy, I can doze off and it will be no big deal. I hope to get the prescription for phenergan (Crystal, it sounds like it has worked wonders for you) but if the OTC stuff works good, then maybe there won't be a need to have to add another prescription to the mix.

Thanks again everyone for your continued support. I will be offline for a few days while I enjoy my vacation, so I will check back over the weekend.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Sara

Old 07-30-2003, 06:13 AM   #18
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Hey Sara,

Yes I too wished that you could have a more open dialoge with your Doc. I realy hope for the best for you. Methadone is truely a wondeful med if you can just get past the side effect stage. I really think that the nausea will pass in time as it did for me. And yes it is really nice not to have those darn highs and lows and that sicky feely when the med wheres off. I hated taking the hydrocodone preps because of that. Hang in there and please keep me informed. You will be in my prayers today. take good care....

Matt

[This message has been edited by grizzk62 (edited 07-30-2003).]

Old 08-02-2003, 01:07 PM   #19
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Sara-
    Hey girl! I was wondering where you had wandered off to, but I just read your last post about going on vacation. I hope you had/are having fun!! I was worried, but now I feel better knowing where you went to. Anyways, Just wanted to say hi.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif
    Crystal

Old 08-04-2003, 09:52 AM   #20
    nix nooks

nix nooks HB User
    Hi guys,
    I started taking methadone the first part of June. For the first 2 days I was taking 5mg every 8 hours it felt like nothing. Then boom the third day it hit. before this they had me on kadian, Avinza, and Durgestic patch. methadone works for me but you must take it slowly and not jump into it. I take it every 6 hours 10mgs now. I'm also going to acupuncture treatsments to help with the pain. I have two slipped disc L4&5, along with DDD. So so far so good with methadone. The doctor will not give bt meds so i have to get my meds just right to treat my pain. Don't be afraid of methadone just be careful and respect it and it will work wonders. The only problem I have with it is I sweat off and on. Also going out in hot, humid weather is a *****.. Just drink a lot of water and be careful of going outside..

Old 08-04-2003, 06:23 PM   #21
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    this is odd:

my methadone didn't seem to be working all that great, so before I left for vacation last week, I asked my physical medicine doctor (not the one who prescribed it originally, but the only one I could get ahold of that day) if my dosage was correct. He told me that 5mg 3times a day was not the proper dosage indicated for someone with a narcotic tolerance such as mine. he said he always starts his patients on 15mg 3 times a day and then increases from there. he said that 5mg wouldn't be enough to make a difference considering my past norco and MSContin use.

Does this sound right to anyone? i added in an anti-nausea, and slowly am building up to the 15mg a day just in case it makes me sick to jump up the dosage too quick. the doctor didn't recommend this, i decided to taper up because it made sense to me.

thanks!

Old 08-05-2003, 06:33 AM   #22
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User
    I always get different opinions from different doctors. I wrote a thread the other day about how my pm doc said my meds are too strong for me. but anyways there is a med conversion on the web but can't remember the name you put in hat you were taking and what you are taking now and it tells you if it is an equal dose compared to what you were taking, Make sence? Maybe someone here remembers the name of it. By the way how was the Sierras? I was just there right before Christmas; my husbands family is from S Africa and his mom has always wanted to go to see the redwood trees so we went to Grants Grove and stayed in some cabins up there. They were the semi rustic meaning the actually had a shower but no tv which was fine for me but i thought my kids were going to die. It was sooo beautiful I couldn't believe it. There was about 2-3 feet of snow when we went and we had such a good time and loved the atmosphere and all the nature that we are actually thinking of moving p to that area. Well I know I wasn't much of a help but hope that you had a great time. By the way i did look at your web page and it was great. Oh and yes I have had Kaiser before... I like it for my kids but thats about it! Take care

Old 08-05-2003, 09:28 AM   #23
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Hi Sara!

Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

I was just reading your post about the incorrect dosage for your meds. Did one doc prescribe and your regular GP said that he prescribes stronger for beginning level? And now you're increasing your dosage bcuz it seems right? If that is correct (and it's not just my mind being muddled, as is typical! ) - be very careful. If you are seeing a PM Doc and he's prescribing your meds....and you take it upon yourself to increase, that may not sit well w/ him/her. I am not judging - please don't take it that way http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif - just don't want to see you get into it w/ your doc who's currently doing the px'ing.

If I read this wrong..... just ignore me! Or...if I read it right....you can ignore me, too! Just thinking you might want to discuss w/ px'ing doc, that's all!

Take good care! Hope you had a Wonderful time! I never got to the sequoias when I lived in Cali...one of my few regrets in life. Guess I'm not dead yet.... I'll put it on my list o' things-to-do!

Karen

Old 08-05-2003, 12:34 PM   #24
    lindao1
    Veteran
    (female)

lindao1 HB User
    Hey there Hiking Fan!

I have to agree with Mokita (sp) on this one. I don't think adjusting your dosage on your own is a good idea no matter what the situation is.

One of the biggest problems I can foresee is that if you are under a PM doc, you more than likely, had to sign a contract which detailed what you must and must not do. If there was any info in that contract about not adjusting meds on your own, then if the PM doc found out about it, he could consider you "noncompliant" and that would only harm you in the long run. I would hate for you to get in trouble with your doc and ALSO, I would hate for you to inadvertently cause yourself more problems, physically, with a higher dose than was prescribed. Taking more than was prescribed will result in you running out of your meds more quickly than the doc expects and that won't look too good to him, either.

I don't mean to scare you, but PM docs are very particular about these things. They have their reasons for titrating up on doses slowly. And they take into consideration all of the other meds you are on so as not to have a detrimental drug interaction. That can be a real serious thing.

Please understand, my dear, I don't want to upset you but I feel what you are planning is not in your best interest. Think about all of the ramifications that your actions may result in. You deserve proper pain management, but that needs to come from your doc. and not what you think would work best. If the 5 mg is not controlling you pain, then let the doc know that and let him be the one to address any modifications in your rx. Take care, sweetie, and know that I'm here for you always. Much love, Linda

Old 08-05-2003, 03:40 PM   #25
    iwannahike

iwannahike HB User
    Hi, Guy;
    I keep trying to talk to you all but it is not letting me. so pardon this message if it does not work. My PD wants to put me on Methadone if the Fentanyl patch doesn't work? I feel helpless nothing is working

Old 08-07-2003, 12:31 AM   #26
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Thanks Linda and Karen

Let me expand what I was saying....

My pain management doctor is out for three weeks, and is having her receptionist tell all her patients to contact their physical medicine doctors if they have medication problems/issues. When I contacted my physical medicine doc, he said that he wants me to increase my dosage, and didn't understand why my pain doc would put me on such a low, ineffective dose.

Thanks for your concern...I would never take it upon myself to up my meds without authorization. I would never be able to get a refill on time and would be in serious trouble!! Anyone who would is messing with fire.

Thanks guys!
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
    Sara

PS- My vacation was fantastic! The Sierras were incredible, and I felt so relaxed when I came home. I wished I could hike more, but I will take what I can get.

[This message has been edited by HikingFan (edited 08-07-2003).]

Old 08-07-2003, 04:18 AM   #27
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Good Morning Sara!

I'm happy that you're regular Doc is willing to take over the med dillema your pm doc left! What if some of her other patient's docs aren't so agreeable? That would stink! Anyway....is it working better for you - titrating? Are you still experiencing the nausea? I hope you're getting good pain relief! Oh...also, I would get a copy of your doc's conversation w/ you to give to your PM Doc when she gets back. No sense in taking chances w/ her not believing you, right?

You said in an earlier post that you were worried that she wasn't monitoring you close enough. Do you feel she's doing a better job now?

Good for you that you had a nice vacation. That's what they're all about - relaxing completely and getting away from it all! I figure we'll take a real one in about 16 years....when both girls are over 18!

Take care! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif

Karen

------------------
    9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
    12/00 MRI -normal-but pain still-began taking vicodin
    2/8/02 - 2nd baby born - Csection-healthy girl
    2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
    11/02 Referred to Neuro
    3/03 NEW MRI - slight bulge L3-L4, DDD, neural foramen,Superior aspect S1 and L5 Nerve root involvement-Neuro Refers to PM for ESI's
    (2 Rt Transforaminal,1 lumbosacral,3rd one numbed tailbone little
    5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
    Performing doc oversedated, False Negative
    7/8- Dept Head ClCl consult
    7/28 - ClevelClinic for Facet Injection, changed to Caudal Epidural after seeing xray of displaced coccyx;also,coccygeal manipulation
    8/12 - sched for 2nd Caudal & manipulation

Closed Thread