It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Problem with Roxicodone tablets

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
    JimboRam

Post Problem with Roxicodone tablets

I will try to keep this short..lol My pain doctor prescribed me 7.5 mg of Roxicodone up to 4 x daily for severe back pain. He prescribed my 40 pills, which should last for 10 days. The problem is that Roxicodone only comes in 5mg and 10 mg doses. So, the pharmacist gave me 60 of the five mg pills, directing me to take one and a half tablets per dose. Now, the problem is that Roxicodone are very small, hard tablets. And even though they are scored, they are very difficult to break in half. I have crushed at least 10 tablets in the process, making them unuseable. This has left me short on my medication, so I have been taking three 7.5 mg doses a day, and I still ran short. <I apologize if this is confusing.> Tomorrow will be tenth day since my PM doctor prescibed the meds, but I'm hesitant to call and ask for more meds until I get my facet injections on the 13th. (even though the prescription would have normally ran out tomorrow.) I'm afraid they will think I am making up this story about not being able to break the tablets in half. ( I even had my mom try to cut them in half and she crushed the pill LOL) Has anyone else had this problem with Roxicodone? Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, I think it's a shame that we have to be afraid to ask our doctors for medication that we need. My doctor wouldn't think twice if I said I needed my blood pressure medicine filled a day early. Hmmmm.
    Thanks http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 11:23 PM   #2
    hottrodd
    (male)

hottrodd HB User
    Hi

I have never used your medication so my experience cannot allow a formal reply. I just wanted to give some advice in case you have not tried it yet.

Have you tried using a pill cutter? I have used them on other meds and they work great to cut them in half. They are fairly inexpensive and you should be able to obtain one at your local pharmacy or even online. I'm only stating this because you did not mention the method in your post. Wasn't sure if you tried this or you were trying to break them by hand or with a knife.

Also "yes" it's a shame we cannot ask our doctors for meds early without the implications of being some drug abuser. To defend the doctors just a little though, it seems they are more afraid of getting in trouble then actually thinking your abusing them.

Plus I think there have been a few bad apples getting narcs and abusing them, and being doc shoppers. These people have ruined it for us who really need help, and sometimes have to take extra without notice to control our pain.

Someone should come along soon with some other ideas or history with your med. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Hottrodd

------------------
    * 27 years old, male
    *Chronic upper back pain for about 6 years, recently getting really bad, really stiff in the morning takes forever to get going, lasts all day everyday.
    *Crackling sounds from rib cage area across upper and middle back when stretching.
    * Pain, tightness and burning all day long, usually ranges from a 4 through 9 depending on the day and how my body wants to react. Usually it's at least a 6/7 all day recently, used to be an annoying 3/4 all day, which I lived with but hated.
    *Problem areas are mainly around breastbone area of chest, across shoulder blades, dead center upper back, upper shoulders and back of neck. Feels as if it's muscles and bones/joints, possibly ribs.
    *Muscles spasms, had a couple that were severe enough to go to ER, felt like I was having a heart attack, pain radiated through upper back to chest area.
    *Taking Vicodin 5/500 Soma 350 and Celebrex 200, which also helps somewhat but not to where I am not bothered by the pain, burning, tightness ect..
    *Chiropractic 3 years, PT on and off again, all of which produces results that do not last for more than the day I have them.
    *Can't remember any trauma I had that would have caused all this. Don't understand how it's getting worse.
    *Can't really do anything, lifting, heavy physical ect.. Try and walk and stretch when I can.
    *Still undiagnosed and waiting

Old 08-07-2003, 12:22 AM   #3
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    I think the best bet would be to tell your doctor what happened, and ask him what he recommends you do in the future. I wouldn't try and refill even a day early. Although we shouldn't have to feel judged or scared to do this, it is a sad fact of pain management that 9 times out of 10, we will lose if we try and refill early. I hate to see you suffer, but I would try and get through this last day, and make sure you tell youe doc exactly what happened with the pharmacist and pill crushing. Do not ask for an early refill, but maybe he/she will understand your situation and offer it. Make sure to ask him what to do in the future. Even with a pill cutter, if the pills are really tiny, it might not work.

I know I might get chastised by other members for suggesting this, but I would take a small small amount of the crushed medicine if I was suffering terribly on that last day. This is never the preferred method, but it sure beats suffering terribly.

Good luck.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
    Sara

Old 08-07-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
    JimboRam

Thank you both for your replies. I am checking out the pill cutter, seems like a very good idea in my case. I called my pain doctor today, and explained the situation about the tablets being crushed when I tried to break them. The nurse's response was.."You should have told us earlier, that is ridiculous. We can't keep writing out presciptions for oxydocone just because you lost some of them. You should have told someone at the office." I explained that I did tell the doctor's physician's assistant, and that the presciption was for 10 days and today was the 10th day. She said they would get back to me today. If I receive a phone call from the office with anything but a professional attitude, I'm leaving their practice. I have 3 prominent physicians who treat me, none of which ever gave me narcotics, so they know I'm not a drug-seeker or addict looking for a high. I'v been a "good" patient and continued to receive the steroid injections, without any relief of pain. Maybe if their reputation in the local medical community is threatened, they will change their attitude. We are the consumers of these doctor's "product". We do not have to tolerate their attitudes and innuendos. If the doctors fail to choose their medical staff more carefully, they should be the ones to suffer in the end. I would rather suffer with the agony of the pain than to subjugate myself to some assistant's personality. After all, there are other competent physicians in the area who are willing to treat people with respect and dignity.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
    JCK7475
    Inactive

JCK7475 HB User
    If I were you I would just snort the crushed powder. just kidding, but it would work even better.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:34 AM   #6
    JimboRam

JCK..LOL hottrodd, took your advice and got a pill cutter. It works pretty well. The pills still get crushed a bit, but I put the powder in water and it dissolves. My PM doc is great, but his staff has an attitude. I guess they are his guard dogs LOL. Anyhow, thanks for all the advice, it is very much appreciated. Have a good one!

Old 08-09-2003, 06:15 AM   #7
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Hello All,

I too am on the roxicodone tabs for my BT pain. I don't have to cut them how ever. I take them hole. I wish I had some advice for you on this matter. Those pills are very small. I can see how you would be cruching them. I would talk to your Doc on this matter. Since you are wasting quit a few of them. Mixing the excess in water is a good idea. But I would still talk to your doc about this since they are not really designed to be mixed with water. I don't mean to sound like a prude but even jokingly talking about abusing meds on this forum is not good for any one here. The people that abuse these great meds are the reason that alot of us here can't get the pain relief that we deserve. Anyway have a great day....

Matt

Closed Thread