It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• RACZ ( Epidurolysis) Procedure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
    Mark Cunningham
    (female)

Mark Cunningham HB User
    Post RACZ ( Epidurolysis) Procedure

I went to see a PM Doc today, and he recommended the RACZ procedure to try to dissolve the scar tissue that has attached to my S1 (as indicated by a 3 month post- op MRI). I am 8 months post-op L5/Sl lam and diskectomy with discomfort (pain to others) in rear end and numbness in foot. Doc said I was an ideal candidate for the procedure since I am less than a year post-op and able to exercise and walk at my normal pace. Right now I am taking valium and neuontin (sp?) for the discomfort. Coughing and sneezing still cause pain in what appears to be the tailbone area but it quickly subsides. The procedure involves insertion of a small catheter (through the tailbone area) into the epidural space up to the area of scarring and injection of various drugs/medications. They also insert x-ray contrast to visualize the scarred space. It's a series of three injections. I did a search of the entire board for "RACZ" and came back with no hits. My doc is in NE Ohio and has not heard of any PM Doc at the Cleveland Clinic performing this procedure. It is named after its inventor Dr. Gabor Racz. It relatively new-7 years.

I would appreciate any feed back from other members about this procedure--both positive and negative.

Best Regards

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread