It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• chronic pain patient having dental procedure.What to ask?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2003, 12:52 AM   #1
    brentskib
    (male)

brentskib HB User
    Post chronic pain patient having dental procedure.What to ask?

I've been a chronic pain patient(back) for nearly 6 yrs. currently taking 40 mgs. of methadone,4 x day plus 30-60mg. of MSIR every 4-6 hr prn.
    I'm going to have rather severe oral surgery and wondered if others here have had any experience with this.
    I doubt that my usual meds will help control the dental pain as it will be a totally different type of pain.
    Are different meds used in cases such as this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 03:48 AM   #2
    painintheneck2

painintheneck2 HB User
    Hi.

I had a similiar situation, yet not so severe dentistry, and asked practically the same question on here. I was told to call my doctor that prescribes my long term meds and explain the situation to him. Your dentist is going to want to confer with your doctor about this anyway. It's best to be upfront and just explain the situation. Your doctor will prob be the one to prescribe something or he will give the dentist the ok to prescribe something stronger.

See my post "Acute Pain vs Chronic Pain".

Hope it helps! and good luck with your oral surgery! (Ugh! I hate going to the dentist and I can't stand pain in my mouth so I know how you feel)

Let me know if your able to get something stronger. I'm on MS Contin ER and Lortab 10 for BT. I still haven't gotten my broken tooth pulled, so I'd like to know how yours was handled. It hurts like hell one day, then it just goes away. Thanks!

------------------

~head on collision in 1999 (car totaled)
    ~badly sprained ankle, bruised chest cavity, whiplash
    ~month later, recovered
    ~month and one week later, couldn't move neck LOTS of pain and crying. Tingling in right index and middle finger. Pain down right arm, pain always in neck and in upper back between shoulder blades (burning). Legs also hurt at times.
    ~went to various docs, prescribed muscle relax. and pain meds on and off whenever I got a "flare up".
    ~found my doc 1 year ago, prescribed lortab. insurance wouldn't cover preexistin cond till 6 months lapsed
    ~doc said "you are having muscle spasms and will prob be on pain killers the rest of your life"
    ~later, doc started to question my pain
    ~told him to schedule MRI
    ~MRI showed herniated disk, bulging on right side at C5 & C6
    ~kept me on pain meds and referred me to a wonderful chiro.
    ~now seeing chiro and taking pain meds
    ~next step is epidural shot if chiro doesn't work.
    ~I'm a work at home mom with 3 kids. I need my pain meds now just to function as a "normal" active person.

[This message has been edited by painintheneck2 (edited 08-14-2003).]

~head on collision in 1999 (car totaled)
    ~badly sprained ankle, bruised chest cavity, whiplash
    ~month later, recovered
    ~month and one week later, couldn't move neck LOTS of pain and crying. Tingling in right index and middle finger. Pain down right arm, pain always in neck and in upper back between shoulder blades (burning). Legs also hurt at times.
    ~went to various docs, prescribed muscle relax. and pain meds on and off whenever I got a "flare up".
    ~found my doc 2 years ago, prescribed lortab. insurance wouldn't cover preexistin cond till 6 months lapsed
    ~doc said "you are having muscle spasms and will prob be on pain killers the rest of your life"
    ~later, doc started to question my pain
    ~told him to schedule MRI
    ~MRI showed herniated disk, bulging on right side at C5 & C6
    ~kept me on pain meds and referred me to a wonderful chiro.
    ~now seeing chiro and taking pain meds
    ~next step is epidural shot if chiro doesn't work.
    ~UPDATE: Aug 2003: Saw Doc., discussed tolerence to Lortabs; Discussed long acting meds and complete loss of sensation in right thumb up to first finger; and pain worse, + wake up with right arm "dead" often!
    ~Set up appt with Neuro
    ~Prescribed MS Contin 30 mg 2x day plus Lortab 10 5 per day for BT.
    ~ 1 wk later: bumped up to 60mg MS Contin 2x day
    ~ So far MS Contin works excellent. Pain level 0 to 1 for 8-10 hours
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread