HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   caudal injection (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/80058-caudal-injection.html)

ruko4 08-14-2003 07:57 AM

caudal injection

Hi, I am just wondering about a caudal epidural and what it is?and what are some common side effects?I am a male and not sure what to expect.

grizzk62 08-14-2003 10:37 AM

Hello Ruko,

welcome to the boards. I have had caudal injections in the past. In fact I can only have caudal injections from now on because there is just to much damage and scar tissue that a needle just gets bent to all get out when they have tried to do the other kind of injections i.e. facet injections,epidural injections. A caudal injection is where they go thru the base of the spine "tailbone or S1 area" and then thread a catheter up to the area that they want the steriods to get to or whatever medication that they are useing at the time. I was sedated heavyly for these and I would expect that you will also be sedated as well. They do numb the area very well and you can expect to be more sore and higher pain the day of the injection. I recommend that you take it very easy the day of and use Ice on the area as well. The next day I felt better and was even getting added pain relief from the injection as well. I usually have a series of 3 injections a year. So far this year I have had 2 caudal injections done. I'm saving the last one for when the pain starts to really get out of control. I must add that not everyone benefits from these injections. But do go into it with an open mind and hope for good results. I hope that this has helped you a little and I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you might have. Take care and keep us posted.....

Matt

mokita 08-15-2003 03:02 AM

Hi Ruk! :wave:

I just had my 2nd caudal on 8/12. The first was 7/28 and, I won't like, it hurt like crazy. But, I think that is due to the fact that the inflammation has had to be present since I first injured my tailbone giving birth in Sept 2000! The 2nd one didn't hurt nearly as bad....plus, I told them if they'd sedated me before, I didn't feel it and PLEASE use sedation on the 2nd one.

Do not hesitate to ask for sedation. Be sure to have ice packs on hand for day of (as Matt said) and plan to rest. It just makes it easier.

I have had 5 steroid injections since 3/21/03. The first 3 did nothing pretty much. But, the caudal...I got relief from my tailbone pain. It took about 2 good days to notice the first time....and I'm only 3 days out from the last one and still sore...but, am sure I will get relief from it :)

Good luck! When are you sched'd for? What is your back problem, if you don't mind? :)

Karen

------------------
9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
12/00 MRI -normal-but pain still-began taking vicodin
2/8/02 - 2nd baby born - Csection-healthy girl
2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
11/02 Referred to Neuro
3/03 NEW MRI - slight bulge L3-L4, DDD, neural foramen,Superior aspect S1 and L5 Nerve root involvement-Neuro Refers to PM for ESI's
(2 Rt Transforaminal,1 lumbosacral,3rd one numbed tailbone little
5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
Performing doc oversedated, False Negative
7/8- Dept Head ClCl consult
7/28 - ClevelClinic for Facet Injection, changed to Caudal Epidural after seeing xray of displaced coccyx;also,coccygeal manipulation
8/12 - 2nd caudal inj/no coccyx manip
8/14 -coccyx manip AGAIN
9/25 sched appt to begin tx on Disc Tear @ ClevelClinic