It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• knife-like pain in muscle next to shoulder blade?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2003, 01:11 AM   #16
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Lightbulb

PITN-
    Thanks sweetie! Even though you didn't read the replies, you did give good advice. No one has mentioned this yet, so thank you for your so helpful insight! I will talk to my doc about this, and hopefully maybe we can get something figured out!!! Thank you so much, again!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif
    Crystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #17
    Disavowed

Disavowed HB User
    Crystal...I know what you mean about leaving the house...when you walk out the door, it cost money...I lost my job in March due to this horrible muscle problem in my back....so I try not to walk out the door as much as possible...plus, if you start just hanging out with friends, they tire of it and so would you...I also spent a lot of time this past winter in my room because of the things I had been dealing with...I was on medical leave from work then, and I thought I was recuperating...little did I know I would not go back....but, my room offers a lot of comfort to me too, even though I have no family members that I can't get along with, being in a place that meets all your comfort needs is well..comforting....as for sleep....I have found that "ambien" a prescrip sleep aid has helped me tremendously, not just with sleep, but to relax that long rock hard muscle in my back...and buttocks...where all the real bad pain is.....the good thing about ambien is that it does not leave you with a drugged effect in the morning...as with any med...you should use caution when taking it and be ready to go to bed when you take it..because it does act fast...I don't even use a whole one..I break a 10 mg in half....

Hope you are having a good day....

Old 08-15-2003, 10:33 PM   #18
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Sorry Crystal, you just sounded like sleep was a top priority right now. Sometimes it may take a sacrifice to get what you need. If you can't think of a solution to get out of your room more, you probably will just have to deal with not being able to sleep. You simply can't use a bed for everything, and expect sleep to come naturally. I hope you can figure something out!

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2003, 02:12 AM   #19
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Sara. I have NEVER had a problem before this, and I've always used my bed for multiple purposes. And I already told you, I found a solution. I was upped on my tofranil, from 20mg to 50mg, and that was yesterday, so last night I took 50mg, and had no problem getting to sleep... I also was told that when I can't fall asleep, if I absolutely have to, take an OTC sleep aid.. Which also helped before I was upped on my Tofranil. But I don't have the resources to "sacrifice" using my bedroom. If you don't understand why I have to use my room so much, then I'm sorry, but I honestly don't have much of a choice. I'd rather not sleep than sacrifice what I'd lose.. I'd lose money I don't have or peace with members of my family or mental stability or time with my boyfriend and a bunch of others. I've already found my answer. My meds have already helped in ONE DAY, so I'm not going to sacrifice my only place that I have to myself. It's like my sanctuary, and I'm sorry if you feel that I can't do everything on my bed. I just don't think this is the problem. I am sorry you're annoyed that I didn't accept your advice. I just cannot sacrifice these things. Sorry you don't understand my outlook. If you knew me better, maybe you'd understand. But this is not why I can't fall asleep. The pain is just simply too bad that it's disturbed. It has nothing to do with me hanging out on my bed when I'm awake. I just don't agree with your opinion. And I'm afraid I know myself a tad better than you. I honestly am not trying to be rude, I just felt a tad offended by your reply, Sara.

Disavowed- Thanks for being understanding. I am feeling a little better today, just because I'm finally sleeping better. If only I could get my pain under control! Have a nice night and day tomorrow.

Again, Sara, I truly apologize if I sounded rude. I just don't think you understood my point. I just find comfort in my room, and my entire life I've spent time during the day in my bed, and it wasn't until this pain got so bad that I had a problem sleeping.. As far as I'm concerned, getting out of my room isn't the problem. And I'm not going to even try to find a solution to that, because if it's not broken, I'm not going to fix it. And if this IS the case, then why is it I can't sleep on a couch or anywhere else either? The problem is not being able to sleep because of pain, not where I hang out while I'm awake. Maybe it works for you, but not for me. And yes, I can use a bed for everything and expect sleep to come naturally, because I always have. And I will not simply just "deal" with not being able to sleep. Again, Sorry... I really wasn't trying to be rude. But I think you're not even trying to listen to my reasoning for not getting out of my room.

Old 08-16-2003, 04:14 AM   #20
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Whoa, okay Crystal. Just trying to help. Calm down and realize nobody is trying to criticize, only help. Look how many people responded to this thread if you have to question the fact that people are just trying to help you bounce around ideas about how to fix your problem.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:08 AM   #21
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    I didn't say anyone was trying to criticize, but don't tell me what I can and cannot do. I think I can judge that myself. And I wasn't hardly even griping about my insomnia, I just happened to mention it and someone replied to it saying that looking at my meds, they said that they all can cause insomnia. This thread originally was about my shoulder pain, NOT insomnia. I know everyone here is trying to help, and I also try to help whomever I can. I simply told you that although I did not doubt your advice and if it would work, I did not want to accept that bit of advice. And you upset me by replying telling me that I cannot use my bed for everything and expect my sleep to come naturally. The only reason it's been so bad is because my meds are no longer helping much with the pain, so it makes it difficult to fall asleep. And you also told me that I would just have to deal with it, if I wasn't willing to make a sacrifice in getting out of my room more. Sorry, but I discussed things with my doctor, and told you that what he suggested was working, and you insisted on pushing the stay out of my bedroom thing onto me. It just seemed like you couldn't accept that I wouldn't accept your advice. I'm honestly not trying to be mean, but you just seemed like you got pretty offended when I declined your advice, even though I told you I didn't doubt it's ability to work. You didn't want to hear my reasoning, or even try to understand it. Maybe I didn't make my reasoning clear enough... I'm not sure, but I apologize. I'm honestly not trying to step on any toes, but I just wanted you to know that I've found ANOTHER solution, and I don't WANT OR NEED to get out of my room more (even though I will when school starts, but I'll also study in bed too). You reacted like just because I didn't accept your advice, that sleep wasn't a priority to me, and just because I spend time in my bed outside of sleep time, NO MATTER WHAT, I would never be able to sleep if I didn't get out of my room, which is absolutely ridiculous. And I should just "Deal with it" since I wasn't willing to get out of my room. Like this HAD to be the problem. Which it isn't. And I don't need to calm down, because I'm not freaking out, just simply telling you how I feel about how you reacted to me.

Crystal... Just forget it. I'm not explaining myself anymore. If you don't understand why I don't want to do this, then nevermind I said anything. I don't want to p*ss anyone off.

[This message has been edited by HockeyCrystal (edited 08-16-2003).]

Old 08-16-2003, 10:39 AM   #22
    Disavowed

Disavowed HB User
    Well I must confess I too spend lots of time in my room and I am a married woman...is that odd? I didn't think so...I have a large tv in my room, and I have a temper-pedic mattress which is the most comfortable place to lay, sit and I can even jump up and down without spilling wine....just like the commercials...I am someone who just enjoys my room.....I also do lots of things on my bed...I read, eat, watch tv...I even scrapbook on my bed...I just like hanging out in my room.....in the winter, I have an electric blanket..so it is definitely the warmest place to be on a cold winter evening....see I have a problem totally opposite from some....if I am not familiar with a room or a bed, I cannot sleep...I cannot travel without sleep aids for that reason....I think there are many others like that too....Crystal, it used to be that when a person went to their doctor and said they can't sleep, the advice of not spending time in your room was given to them....so it has hung around for a long time..but I never found this to be a problem with me either.....I wonder how many of us out there are bedroom dwellers??? come out come out wherever you are...and let us know some of the things you do in your room....this has got me wondering now....inquiring minds want to know...right Crystal??

Old 08-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #23
    Wes1212
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User
    My bedroom doesn't have a bed in it. I pulled it out to the living room and put the sofa in its place. My daughter has a canopy bed in her room but she sleeps out in the living room on a futon.

My sleep patterns vary a quite a bit but it doesn't bother me as I'm not on a schedule right now. When i was taking interferon, I think I went 4-5 days at a time w/o sleep, and it showed.

If I can ever get some pain relief and can get back into society, I feel pretty confident that a regular sleep pattern will result, with the usual up all night every-now-and-again.

I guess my bedroom is whever I am when I fall to sleep

Old 08-16-2003, 12:18 PM   #24
    Wes1212
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User
    Crystal, Is there any chance you tore something in your back when you were struggling in the blanket? Just a thought.

Old 08-16-2003, 12:48 PM   #25
    herniated35
    Inactive

herniated35 HB User
    Sounds like you need to suck it up! Try heat and ice and lay off the meds. Man up

Old 08-16-2003, 02:32 PM   #26
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Disavowed-
    Right. I too cannot fall asleep in an unfamiliar place. I have always hated travelling for that reason. Because especially on hotel beds, I simply can't get to sleep. I'd be better off in my car trying to sleep, sadly which, I've done before while travelling. I bet a lot of people spend tons of time in their rooms. Think of college students in dorm rooms... They have to spend lots of time in their rooms, because they don't really have anywhere else to go. And the only places they can sit other than their beds is maybe a computer desk, but that gets your butt really sore, just like mine! And I'm a college student so I'm allowed to spend tons of time in my room. I love my room.

Wes-
    My doc seems to think something to that effect happened while I was struggling... I don't know though, I really don't have any kind of an actual diagnosis.

herniated35-
    Excuse me? Suck it up? Here's some news for you, I ice and heat my shoulder and low back several times everyday. I also have 6 different stretches I do 4 times a day. I haven't gotten results yet from either. And I'm not sure who you seem to think you are, but I simply cannot just lay off the meds, they're the ONLY thing that help the pain, and I cannot just lay off because you tell me you think I should. You sound like you've never been through a day of pain in your life, and maybe you shouldn't be here at all because this is a pain management board. Us chronic pain patients hear enough from our docs to "suck it up" or "deal with it" we don't need another insensitive person like you telling us the same thing here. Have a nice day, and don't bother replying to anymore of my posts, because I care to not hear from you anymore unless you have some more insightful things to say... I don't need someone else making me feel bad about being on pain meds for the rest of my life at a young age.

Crystal.

Old 08-16-2003, 09:53 PM   #27
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Crystal,

I don't get mad when people don't take my advice. I'm just trying to help, and if that means sometimes playing the devil's advocate to help look at things at different angles, then so be it. I'm not apologizing for that. I've taken my own time to try and help, so when I see its not needed anymore, or that it offends someone, then I stop. I went back and re-read my post, and I definitely did not say anything offensive, or imply that I know you better than you know yourself. I'm only speaking from experience during my college years.

Anyhow, I don't like drama and don't want to continue any kind of bickering or hurt feelings, so I'll leave it at this:

Good luck,

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
    Sara

Sara

[This message has been edited by HikingFan (edited 08-17-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 01:12 AM   #28
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Sara,
    Hey, I don't want to bicker either. I don't think you should apologize for giving me advice. I just want to say I'm sorry for taking what you said obviously the wrong way. I just felt as though you were telling me that if I didn't do that, then I would see no results for the better. Again I'm sorry. You're like my best friend on here. You've always helped and I truly thank you for that. I consider this board a great help in this pain filled life, and you help make the board even more wonderful. You've helped get me on the right road to getting help for my pain, and for that, I'll forever be grateful. Anyways, my boyfriend is driving me nuts by reading over my shoulder, but again, I truly apologize, and hope you will forgive me. Let's just forget this happened, and move on. I don't want you to stop giving me advice... And I want to give you advice when I can offer it, although I don't know much to advise you on, but hopefully one day I'll be able to help you in some way to repay you for how you've helped me. Please accept my apology, I too don't like to bicker.

Friends?
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif Crystal

Old 08-17-2003, 03:43 PM   #29
    painintheneck2

painintheneck2 HB User
    Sorry ya'll, but I've been reading this long thread and just had to give my point of view on a few things. We are all allowed to express our opinions, so I hope you don't mind.

To quote Healthboards Guidelines: NO one is an expert on what is appropriate for someone else. So, sorry HikingFan, but I do not think you are the final say on the cure for insomnia. It certainly is not getting out of your room an doing other stuff.

Quote: "If you can't think of a solution to get out of your room more, you probably will just have to deal with not being able to sleep. You simply can't use a bed for everything and expect sleep to come naturally."

I'm really surprised, Sara, that you would make such a conclusive statement like that. Have you ever had insomnia? Well I have! and the whole "can't use a bed for everything and expect sleep to come naturally" is just wayyyyyyyy off base and very presumptuos.

I spend loads of time in my room. Like Crystal and Disavowed, I am a "bedroom dweller" and do everything on my California King Size bed and I have no problems with insomnia. Your advice, although well meant, is your opinion. It certainly doesn't mean that just because someone doesn't agree with you that they are destined to never sleep again (which is how your statement sounded).

Disavowed: You wanted all of us bedroom dwellers to come out. Well, HERE I AM (lol), and I am also married. We could start our own club (lol). We could call it "BEDROOM DWELLERS AGAINST INSOMNIACS" with a slogan "fighting for our right to live in our bedrooms and proving to others that we can!"

I absolutely LOVE my room. My bed is HUGE (California King Size) and the setup I have in here (computer next to my bed, 27" TV, Phone hung on the wall, nightstand filled with my meds, vitamins, candy, crafts and files, corkboard on the wall next to my computer....)is extremely comfortable and convenient! No one could convince me of anything better!

Also, I wanted to tell you how sweet and caring your post to Crystal was. You assured her that there are many of us out there, weird as we may be to some people (lol), without criticizing "anyone else" for their opposite opinion. You obviously are a very caring person and you wanted to help out Crystal by showing her there was nothing wrong with hanging out in your room and doing more than just sleep in your bed. Just had to tell you that.

:love1: Crystal: :love1: First off I want to say that I think very highly of you for being the bigger person and apologizing (many times) to Sara, although I feel that you did not owe anyone an apology and had every right to express your feelings. Especially when someone is trying to make you feel bad for not taking their advice! I totally agreed with everything you said in your responses.

I don't know you, but I saw in your profile that your only 21. I certainly didn't have that kind of emotional maturity at that age and although I felt that you were not the one who should have been apologizing, you took the high road and I respect you for that. I hope that you get an apology back, because you deserve one.

Here I'll start it: Crystal, I am so sorry that your innocent questions about your pain ended up being about insomnia and that you were put into a position of having to explain yourself. I am really sorry that happened to you :heart: And your right...you DO NOT have to explain yourself to anyone. I think there are a lot worse things than using your bed and bedroom for things other than sleep and sex

I too have had insomnia (years ago) and I couldn't sleep for about 3 days straight. Anyone that's had insomnia tries any advice given to them to get some sleep. When insomnia sets in, it's very frustrating cuz you don't know why it happens and you just wish like hell that you could close your eyes and fall into a deep sleep, but try as you might, you just can't.

This is why, in my opinion, it's ludicrous and ridiculous for someone to say "sounds like you need to suck it up! Try heat and ice and lay off the meds" OR/AND "..you will just have to deal with not being able to sleep"!! I just can't believe that they have ever had to deal with insomnia!! Someone should not give advice about something to which they have no experience.:bang:

I tried everything back then, and the ONLY thing that worked for me was time. It has to run it's course (at least that was my experience). Back then I never went to the doctor for anything, unless it was life threatening, so it didn't even cross my mind to see a doc and get prescribed something for sleep. If I got it now, it wouldn't take me long to get my butt to the doc! Especially when your going to college (which I'm starting on Tuesday)! You need your sleep to be able to concentrate. So I think you're getting meds to help you sleep was the best solution for you. You needed something that would work quickly and effectively. I've heard great things about the Ambien, and if I ever have sleep problems again, that is what I will ask my doctor for.

I also wanted to tell you that I don't blame you one bit for getting upset and offended by Sara's statements. To me, they sounded very condescending and unnecessary. You and I are much alike in our "love affair" with our bedrooms (lol). This is where I can escape, but also where I get things done and relax and be comfortable. Chairs are very uncomfortable for me. Lots of times during the day (every day) my head feels like dead weight, I can barely hold it up. My bed helps with that because I can stack pillows behind me to support my head and yet still get a lot more accomplished if I am comfortable and not distracted.

Now, of course, we still have our daily duties. Me with 3 kids, having to do all for them on top of laundry, kitchen, meals, running errands and etc. So, when I'm done with my "chores" or "duties" for the day, then I can't wait to get to my "sanctuary" that I too call my bedroom.

I know this is long, but I had a lot to say (lol). Also, I read that you got your insomnia under control, but I read some useful information that you might find beneficial if you ever get insomnia again (which I've heard that once you get it, your more likely to have a recurrence, although I've only had it twice in my lifetime (I'm 35)). I'm going to start a topic on what I've read about it so that others can benefit in case they too have insomnia issues.

I hope that you are feeling better and I hope that you get in to see your doctor about your shoulder. I hate to think of you, or anyone, sitting in their room crying because the pain is so excrutiating (sp?). (((Hug))). Hang in there and let me know what you find out about what is causing your shoulder pain, ok?

HERNIATED35???? :wow: How long did it take you to come up with your extremely unintelligent remark? :wow: Hey, here's an idea :idea: how 'bout if you have nothing nice to say...don't say anything at all? :idea: :wink:

Don't quote me or anything :wink: but I think this board is used for people who really give a sh** about other people. I'm pretty sure :wink: that people who use the board are here for people in pain that want to HELP others with their own personal wisdom and experiences or just to lift someone up from the brinks of hell, which is our life sometimes. I think I speak for all when I say we need your advice like we need a hole in the head. But why am I telling you this, anyone can see by your hateful post that you could care less if your advice hurts someone or not. After all, that was obviously your intention.

I think you posted that ridiculous, unintelligent remark because you wanted a reaction. Maybe you should check out one of the forums in here that deals with low self-esteem. Only someone with a low opinion of themselves or someone whose miserable in their lives could post something so thoughtless and FLIPPANT!

Remember: "Everybody has the right to be stupid, but some people abuse this right."

Painintheneck2

------------------

~head on collision in 1999 (car totaled)
    ~badly sprained ankle, bruised chest cavity, whiplash
    ~month later, recovered
    ~month and one week later, couldn't move neck LOTS of pain and crying. Tingling in right index and middle finger. Pain down right arm, pain always in neck and in upper back between shoulder blades (burning). Legs also hurt at times.
    ~went to various docs, prescribed muscle relax. and pain meds on and off whenever I got a "flare up".
    ~found my doc 2 years ago, prescribed lortab. insurance wouldn't cover preexistin cond till 6 months lapsed
    ~doc said "you are having muscle spasms and will prob be on pain killers the rest of your life"
    ~later, doc started to question my pain
    ~told him to schedule MRI
    ~MRI showed herniated disk, bulging on right side at C5 & C6
    ~kept me on pain meds and referred me to a wonderful chiro.
    ~now seeing chiro and taking pain meds
    ~next step is epidural shot if chiro doesn't work.
    ~UPDATE: Aug 2003: Saw Doc., discussed tolerence to Lortabs; Discussed long acting meds and complete loss of sensation in right thumb up to first finger; and pain worse, + wake up with right arm "dead" often!
    ~Set up appt with Neuro
    ~Prescribed MS Contin 30 mg 2x day plus Lortab 10 5 per day for BT.
    ~ 1 wk later: bumped up to 60mg MS Contin 2x day
    ~ So far MS Contin works excellent. Pain level 0 to 1 for 8-10 hours

~head on collision in 1999 (car totaled)
    ~badly sprained ankle, bruised chest cavity, whiplash
    ~month later, recovered
    ~month and one week later, couldn't move neck LOTS of pain and crying. Tingling in right index and middle finger. Pain down right arm, pain always in neck and in upper back between shoulder blades (burning). Legs also hurt at times.
    ~went to various docs, prescribed muscle relax. and pain meds on and off whenever I got a "flare up".
    ~found my doc 2 years ago, prescribed lortab. insurance wouldn't cover preexistin cond till 6 months lapsed
    ~doc said "you are having muscle spasms and will prob be on pain killers the rest of your life"
    ~later, doc started to question my pain
    ~told him to schedule MRI
    ~MRI showed herniated disk, bulging on right side at C5 & C6
    ~kept me on pain meds and referred me to a wonderful chiro.
    ~now seeing chiro and taking pain meds
    ~next step is epidural shot if chiro doesn't work.
    ~UPDATE: Aug 2003: Saw Doc., discussed tolerence to Lortabs; Discussed long acting meds and complete loss of sensation in right thumb up to first finger; and pain worse, + wake up with right arm "dead" often!
    ~Set up appt with Neuro
    ~Prescribed MS Contin 30 mg 2x day plus Lortab 10 5 per day for BT.
    ~ 1 wk later: bumped up to 60mg MS Contin 2x day
    ~ So far MS Contin works excellent. Pain level 0 to 1 for 8-10 hours
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-17-2003, 04:21 PM   #30
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Yes pain in the neck, I have insomnia, and am reiterating what every single doctor has ever told me. Good job on your presumtiousness too!!!

You must be really bored with your life to sit and write such an idiotic post because I simply offered one solution to a problem. I never said I was a doctor or the bottom line. Take it or leave it, but geez, find something better to do with your life than to psychoanalyze me when all I was trying to do was be helpful. You are way out of line on that one. You know nothing about me.

This thread is wearing me out...I won't be checking back.

Crystal, lets be bygones be bygones, I don't harbor any bad feelings.

Painintheneck, get a life,

Closed Thread