It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Narcotics & absence of euphoria/high feeling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2003, 11:35 AM   #1
    babydolltahiti

babydolltahiti HB User
    Cool Narcotics & absence of euphoria/high feeling

Hi,

I have severe chronic pain caused by RSD and I have tried different narcotics: Tylenol with Dextropropoxyphene, Tylenol with Codeine #3 & #4, Vicodin, Percodan, Oxycontin, Dilaudid, and Duragesic.

I noticed that none of these painkillers makes me feel euphoric or high. How come? I thought that narcotics like the ones I took/am taking are supposed to cause euphoria or a high feeling?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 01:45 PM   #2
    dwpavlik
    Inactive

dwpavlik HB User
    Cool

Howdy
    As Merideth pointed out pain patients mostly do not feel euphoria. This is why we are allowed to have the narcotics for our pain control. The main sensation we receive is pain relief. I have been on medications of many types for the past 16 years and I never felt euphoria as others may be seeking from the medications. It is simply normal. Meredith is closer to the definition than I am I just can confirm it from experience.
    Don

[This message has been edited by dwpavlik (edited 08-17-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 02:06 PM   #3
    ice skater

ice skater HB User
    Smile

People that truely are in pain will not get that euphoric high feeling. The med is targeting the pain. It is when people with no pain take it that the euphoria sets in.

------------------
    kate

Old 08-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
    babydolltahiti

babydolltahiti HB User
    Thanks for the information. I read on some boards that some people with chronic pain feel euphoric or high after taking narcotic painkillers. Do these people truly have chronic pain?

Do you know of any articles that refer to the fact that people with chronic pain who take narcotic painkillers do not feel high or euphoric?

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Just because someone gets a euphoric feeling doesn't mean that they aren't really in pain. I had those feelings after a few of my surgeries when I took my meds, and I was in lots of pain. Especially my tonsillectomy last year and my gallbladder removal 2 1/2 years ago.... Of course now I don't get that feeling because I've got a very high tolerance, and I haven't for quite a long time.... Just because the euphoria is present doesn't mean that someone's not really in pain... It's just normal for a CP patient not to feel that feeling from the drugs because of the pain. Hope this helps....???

Old 08-17-2003, 04:00 PM   #6
    babydolltahiti

babydolltahiti HB User
    Hi, everybody

Your ideas and theories are interesting. I am looking for articles that refer to this topic.

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:11 AM   #7
    NeedANewHead
    Inactive

NeedANewHead HB User
    I think Hockey is right...SOME people will feel this way and others wont.
    Its just like how we all react different to meds.
    I believe it does have something to do with being in pain, but people in pain can also feel this way.

Old 08-19-2003, 04:34 AM   #8
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Hi all!

Just putting in my 2 cents!

I rarely feel euphoric from my meds anymore. Did for first few days on all BT meds w/ exception to ultracet. Ofcourse, that Also didn't do diddly for my pain

I feel something for about 30 min after taking a BT....just a very slight feeling of wellness. Nothing compared to when I first began meds, though. Pain Relief is what I'm seeking....and - my meds Do take the pain from 8 to 6....and sometimes, if I'm a really good girl....to 4

Karen

------------------
    9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
    12/00 MRI -normal-but pain still-began taking vicodin
    2/8/02 - 2nd baby born - Csection-healthy girl
    2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
    11/02 Referred to Neuro
    3/03 NEW MRI - slight bulge L3-L4, DDD, neural foramen,Superior aspect S1 and L5 Nerve root involvement-Neuro Refers to PM for ESI's
    (2 Rt Transforaminal,1 lumbosacral,3rd one numbed tailbone little
    5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
    Performing doc oversedated, False Negative
    7/8- Dept Head ClCl consult
    7/28 - ClevelClinic for Facet Injection, changed to Caudal Epidural after seeing xray of displaced coccyx;also,coccygeal manipulation
    8/12 - 2nd caudal inj/no coccyx manip
    8/14 -coccyx manip AGAIN
    9/25 sched appt to begin tx on Disc Tear @ ClevelClinic

Old 08-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
    VPG

VPG HB User
    Babydolltahiti,

I agree with some of the others most of the CONTROLED Pain Killers will not give you a high after taking them for even a short peroid. The reason that the doctors monitor the drugs so much is because they do not want anyone to become dependant on a certian type of feeling when taking these drugs. That is why they are always on the watch for people asking for certain type of drugs.

Some of the drugs that you listed of having taken or that you are still taking, can have some really long term affects, they can cause long term liver damage just to throw that out, I would ask your Pharmacy to keep a eye out for you so that your doctors do not keep you to long on a certain type of pain drug.

My own Pharmacy let me know when I had taken Vicoden to long and recommended me to start doing a liver cleanse program to prevent buildup and to decrease the chances of liver failure. Pain is one thing but you sound young and it would not do to have you have bad side affects.

Best of Luck

VPG

Old 08-19-2003, 10:04 PM   #10
    babydolltahiti

babydolltahiti HB User
    Hi, everybody

I understand that everyone is different. Some people will feel euphoria when taking narcotic painkillers, some will not.

VPG, you said: “Some of the drugs that you listed of having taken or that you are still taking, can have some really long term affects, they can cause long term liver damage.”

Are you talking about the Duragesic and Vicodin? I use Duragesic regularly but I use Vicodin only as needed. I will talk to my doctor and pharmacist about this and about geeting my liver checked. What about the kidneys?

The medication in Duragesic enters the bloodstream directly from the skin; it bypasses the liver and other gastro-intestinal system organs. Can Duragesic still damage my liver, kidneys...

I have been using Duragesic for a year now. I do not often take Vicodin (30 or so per month). The only side effects I get from Duragesic are nausea/vomiting, especially if I do not take my antinauseant/antiemetic meds.

What kind of liver cleanse program are you using? Does it interact with other meds?

Thanks for the information.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:53 AM   #11
    chriztene
    (female)

chriztene HB User
    I am also interested in what program you use for liver cleansing? I read somewhere about a particular vitamin one could take to detoxify/cleanse the body from all the meds, etc.

I experienced the well being feeling in the beginning of starting out on the pain medication, but, this only was present for about 3 months. I do not have that feeling any longer from the pain medication.

I would be interested in any information on this. I think it might have something to do with the pain receptors?

Best Wishes,
    Chriztene

Old 08-20-2003, 09:42 AM   #12
    VPG

VPG HB User
    Babydoll,

To answer your question I was taking Vicodin, 500mg up to 12 a day. Along with ultram 50mg every 4 hours.

There are several good Liver cleanse products out on the market today, I use two that I found work best for the type of foods I like and that I don't have to go out of my way to buy.

(1) I take (6) a day of Liver Aid it is a Dietary supplement, over the counter, I buy it either at Walmart or GNC. GNC I admit has the better product but can be pricey at times.

(2) Also there is a book out that it call the Fat Flush Plan, it has a great Liver Flush plan inside of it pages 12-20. I have used it now for about 8 weeks and I really do feel a difference. I think I overloaded my liver, but now I know I have to really know what I take and what the long term affects are, I have a great pharmacy who keeps a close tab on everyone to avoid trouble. The author is (Ann Louise Gittleman)

It is really simple just call where you get your scripts filled, If they are a good Pharmacy they will be able to tell you, which pain killers are toxic that you are taking and what your chances are of having problem based on how many you take and a what mg.

I have a small town Pharmacy, you know the type when you walk in they know your name and your family. Mine has been looking out for my family for 4 generations. They remember everything, even when you pop in to take cold meds. they let you know what is going to mix.

To answer your question neither the Liver Aid or the Liver Flush Plan will affect your pain meds. It is recommend to try to cut down on how much you are taking. Which can be hard if your hurting. Stay healthy and best of Luck

VPG

Old 08-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #13
    babydolltahiti

babydolltahiti HB User
    Hi,

VPG, you wrote: "To answer your question neither the Liver Aid or the Liver Flush Plan will affect your pain meds. It is recommend to try to cut down on how much you are taking. Which can be hard if your hurting."

Does it mean that the liver cleansing products will make the painkillers less effective, which is why you say: "Which can be hard if your hurting."

Thanks.

Closed Thread