It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• drinking wine??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
    avogadro
    Inactive

avogadro HB User
    Question drinking wine??

Hey all,

I have never been a big drinker (at least not since my "younger and stupider" high school and college years!"). But, I went to a business dinner the other night and everyone was drinking wine. I am taking Methadone 5mg, 3 times a day and Vicodin 5mg for B/T pain. I know that I should not drink alcohol with these meds. But, I am just wondering, if I go to a buisness dinner or something, would it be OK to order just one glass of wine?

Thanks,
    AV

------------------
    2000 - Gastric Bypass Surgery (weighed over 400 pounds).

2002 - down to 180 pounds.

June 2002 - serious car accident - on Vicodin and Rx for Flexeril but do not take due to drowsiness.

June-Dec 2002 - Tried physical therapy and meds with no improvement. Tried Soma for muscle relaxor, same effect, will not take due to drowsiness.

Jan 2003 - pain has gradually gotten worse over time.

Jan 2003 - first appt with PM doctor who FINALLY orders MRI - still on Vicodin only.

Feb 2003 - bulging, torn disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1.

March 2003 - PT again with no help. Vicodin only.

April 2003 - first ESI injections, helped with pain down left leg but not in back area

May 2003 - arthritis in L4-L5, L5-S1 joints, more injections. Still on Vicodin.

Aug 2003 - Still on Vicodin. Try MS Contin but does not work due to Gastric Bypass Surgery. Switch to Methadose. Have not tried it yet. Vicodin for B/T pain.

Sept 2003- have appt for "nerve block" to help with arthritic symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    This is a very touchy subject, and I am sure that there are going to be some very differing opinions here. Please, everyone, do not take this to heart, and if you don't agree with me, thats fine.

I have always enjoyed a glass of wine here and there. (And a great beer every now and then too!). When I started this pain management stuff, I had to give up so much. My hiking, lifting weights,riding my bike, etc. After starting the medications, I found out I also had to give up an occasional wine, which is something I love when I go to a nice restaurant.

I decided to ask my doctor to test my liver, to make sure that I hadn't done any damage during college (I graduated almost 4 years ago, and liked to party!). She tested it, and told me I was fine. So she wrote me my scripts, and told me not to worry so much about the tylenol, since I was taking a pretty low dose. When I expressed more concern about the tylenol and my past partying, she said, "There are a lot of people out there who can take 3000mg a day of tylenol, and drink a 6-pack, and have a perfectly fine liver. There are also people out there who only have 1000mg of tylenol a day, and never have had a drop to drink, and they have serious liver problems." Because they don't always understand what it is about our different ways of processing alcohol and tylenol, they reccommend absolutely no alcohol to be safe. Also, they worry that the increased "high" that comes with alcohol and narcotics could lead to addiction. I felt very comfortable at this point in our conversation, and told her that I wondered if it would be safe to have a glass of wine occassionally, and she mentioned that she was more worried that the increased sedation would be more of a concern than the liver issue. So basically, she let me know that if I felt "used" to my medication, and knew NOT to drive after a glass of wine, and would only have ONE glass, then she wasn't worried at all. I try to keep my tylenol under 1000mg a day, so I feel okay about it all.

With your percocet break-thru med, does it have 500mg of tylenol? Maybe you could ask your doctor to give you OXY IR, which I believe is tylenol-free. I take Norco 10/325 mg (hydrocodone/tylenol) and this is very effective on my B/T pain, and I am comfortable with the tylenol level.

Some people will say ABSOLUTELY do not drink any alcohol, and thats fine for them. After my discussion with my doctor, and our evaluation of my health, I am comfortable with having a glass of wine of beer on occassion.

If there is any more insight I can provide, please let me know.

Good luck!

Sara

Old 09-06-2003, 07:44 AM   #3
    avogadro
    Inactive

avogadro HB User
    The B/T med is Vcodin 5/500. I jst started taking the Methadone on a regular basis so I am hoping that once it builds up in my system and starts working that I will not be taking the Vicodin at all.

I see my PCP once a month for a B12 shot (I am B12 deficient since my bypass surgery). I saw him yesterday and we discussed the liver issues. I get bloodwork done every 3 months to check my B12 and Iron levels and we will do that in October so he is going to do a liver function test as well.

I guess I am more concerned about the sedation issue. I have also read that drinking alcohol with pain meds can supress the respiratory system which can be very dangerous. But, I don't know if that is a concern with one glass of wine during a nice dinner. I also usually meet co-workers or customers for these dinners so I would have to drive home. I do not have a problem driving on the meds and I don't think just one glass would efect me that much, especially if eating food as well. I guess I could test it out at home one night and see how I react.

Thanks!
    AV

Old 09-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    I agree with Hiking Fan. I've never been much of a drinker but now I can only get away with maybe 1 wine cooler or glass of wine. Anymore than that and I'm sick to my stomach. I also have spoke with my doctor and he said since I rarely have a drink, maybe once or twice a year, that it would be fine. Av, that is a good idea to try it at home first to see how it affects you. I know I can't drive after just one drink but I'm pretty small too. We still have to be able to enjoy life sometimes too don't we? Good luck and I hope it works for you.

------------------
    Hmm where should I begin?? Crohn's disease, sacroiilitis-crohn's related, scoliosis, spina bifida occulta, chronic myofascial pain, tmjd and migraines. Still waiting for bone scan and bone density test to tell me what else is wrong with me!! Too many surgeries to list!!

Old 09-07-2003, 03:31 AM   #5
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    I also agree. I'm on percocet 7.5/500, and when I go out to dinner, I also have a drink whether it be a daiquiri or a beer or whatever I decide to have. I don't think this is a big problem as long as you don't go overboard. I also am not much of a drinker, and haven't been since high school and my first yr of college. Now it's like, no big deal to drink anymore, but I do have an occassional drink at dinner or whatever when I happen to go out (Which doesn't happen much, but still!)... I haven't discussed this with my doc, but I don't believe it will hurt me.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif
    Crystal

Old 09-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #6
    deered

deered HB User
    Hey guys. I don't think haveing a drink with diner or a social will hurt you. just be careful. I like to have a couple of mix drinks or a shot or two before I go to bed. Being on my legs all day at night is when my ankle gives me a fit. Just remember that Alcohol intensifies the effect of your meds and I would hate to see anybody get hurt.

Closed Thread