It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• ENDOCET or oxycodone information

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2003, 07:31 PM   #1
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    Question ENDOCET or oxycodone information

Hi,

I have been using Duragesic 50 mcg (1 patch every 72 hours) for severe chronic pain caused by RSD. Duragesic has been very effective.

I have also been using Vicodin or Tylenol with codeine #3 or #4 for severe or breakthrough pain. However, these meds are not very effective.

I would like to try somehing containing oxycodone, but with less acetaminophen than Vicodin or Tylenol with codeine.

What do you think about Endocet (with 5 mg oxycodone and 350 mg acetaminophen)? Are there similar products with oxycodone but less acetaminophen than Vicodin or Tylenol with codeine?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 08:30 PM   #2
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Hey again,

There is a med called Oxy IR with out any tylenol in it at all. It coes in 5mg and 10 mg strengths. There is a liquid called OxyFast and it come in 20mgs strengt per dose. I would believe that they would be the perferred choice since tylenol is very hard on own livers. I knowing that one better than most. Since I Have Hep C. You may want to talk to your doc abouts one of these meds. Take good care....

Matt

Old 09-13-2003, 08:34 PM   #3
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    I am on oxyir right now for my breakthrough med and it works for me.

------------------
    Hmm where should I begin?? Crohn's disease, sacroiilitis-crohn's related, scoliosis, spina bifida occulta, chronic myofascial pain, tmjd and migraines. Still waiting for bone scan and bone density test to tell me what else is wrong with me!! Too many surgeries to list!!

Old 09-14-2003, 12:31 AM   #4
    savysac
    Inactive

savysac HB User
    there is also a med called roxicet which is just 5 mg of oxycodone, I have also been prescribed 5 mg of generic oxycodone for bt pain.

Many people get oxycodone and oxycontin confused. Oxycodone is the actual narcotic analgesic, oxycontin is the time released version of oxycodone. So many people just say oxy's, and it gets a bit confusing.

Oxycontin can easily be made into instant release, just chew or crush the tab. However, this is not recomended because oxycontin comes in much higher dosages per tab, ie 20, 40, 80 ect, than oxycodone tabs.

If you were to chew a 40mg oxycontin, it would be the same as taking eight 5mg oxycodones, the potential for OD is high when chewing or crushing high dosage tabs of oxycontin.

Old 09-14-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    Hi, everybody

Thanks for your information.

My doctor will probably not be willing to prescribe breakthrough narcotic pain meds that require the use of a triplicate prescription form, so I hope OxyIR and OxyFast are not schedule 2 meds. She does not mind prescribing Vicodin for me but this med does not work well for me.

Does Roxicet contain any acetaminophen? I am concerned about my liver and kidneys.

Savysac, you said it is possible to crush Oxycontin tablets? I once crushed a 40 mg Oxycontin tablet by accident when I dislodged it from my broken tooth into which it had become stuck. Nothing happened to me. I have about 20 Oxycontin tablets left at home (20 mg each). Would it be okay to crush just 1 if I am in severe pain and the ER does not help me? I am concerned about the IME I have to go through because it will cause me severe pain.

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:36 AM   #6
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    SFangel,

I hate to tel you this but all oxycodone preps are schedule 2. There is not a one of them that is not in schedule . Sorry to give you that bad news. So you might just have to deal with the hydrocodone preps for now.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #7
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    I guess I have no other choice than to try convincing my doctor to prescribe oxycodone preps, even though these are in schedule 2. Otherwise, I can try ordering them on the Internet.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    Why don't you think she would prescribe a schedule 2 break through med for you? She has you on the duragesic patch so she must know your pain gets pretty severe. Even tylenol 3's are scheduled drugs where I live and you have to have a triplicate filled out by your doc.

------------------
    Hmm where should I begin?? Crohn's disease, sacroiilitis-crohn's related, scoliosis, spina bifida occulta, chronic myofascial pain, tmjd and migraines. Still waiting for bone scan and bone density test to tell me what else is wrong with me!! Too many surgeries to list!!

Old 09-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #9
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    Hi, twisten

Tylenol with codeine #3 & #4 and Vicodin are schedule 3 drugs while Percocet, Percodan, Roxicodone, Endocet, OxyIR, Oxycontin, Demerol, methadone, MS IR, MS Contin, Dilaudid, Duragesic, etc. are schedule 2 drugs.

In California, doctors need to use a triplicate prescription form in order to prescribe schedule 2 drugs. Prescriptions of schedule 2 drugs are subject to more scrutiny from DEA and State Medical Board.

I guess my doctor wants to avoid this scrutiny by not prescribing too many schedule 2 drugs. She is already taking a risk by prescribing Duragesic; she probably does not want to take any more risks by prescribing more schedule 2 drugs.

Closed Thread