It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• ? on Methadone vs. MSContin or OxyContin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2003, 05:06 PM   #1
    igy76
    Inactive

igy76 HB User
    Post ? on Methadone vs. MSContin or OxyContin

Hi guys,

While I'm currenly taking the MSContin as I've said, and if I continue on a long acting med next month, I'm going to request it be switched to Methadone (which I've taken before-earlier this year for my back) it got me thinking about this question tonight. Is Methadone TECHNICALLY an extendended release med, in the same way that something like OxyContin is? I mean I know many people take Methadone as their "base med", and as a "long acting" med, but does it techically work in the same way as the MSContin does? Where you'll feel a spike of relief about 30 minutes after taking it, then another spike about 4-6 hours later? Or, maybe to ask my question better, is it even SUPPOSED to act like that? Do you guys understand what I'm asking? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 05:34 PM   #2
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User
    Hey Iggy,

Methadone is a true long acting med. What I mean by that is morphine and Oxycodone are made into long acting meds. The difference is that with methadone it starts to work in a 1/2 hour to 1 hour and then last 6 to 8 hours as far as the pain reilef mechanism.The half life of methadone is any were from 36 hrs to 72 hrs depending on alot of factors. One being metobolism and what other meds you may be on. Oxycontin andMscontin have a half life of 3-6 hrs. That being that that are only effectively giving pain relief for that amount of time or the amount of med that is left in the system to be half over. The thing about Oxycontin and Mscontin is that they are time release meds. That is they are altered to lasted 8-12. Methadone pain relief mechanism last 6-12 hours depneding on alot of factors. The difference is that morphine and oxycodone have been altered. Methadone has not. Methadone builds up into the system so that when we need extra meds the body release's what it neededs with the next dose. I for one like methadone over the others because once you have beeen titrated to the dose that works for you it works better than the other' s because it is a truely long acting med. It being a true long acting med gives the right amount of meds and with the benefit of BT meds like oxycodone or morphine its has an advantage. That being that methadone attachs to several recptors. The other benefit that methadone has is that it takes longer to build a tolerance to this med than it doe's for the others being oxycontin and Mscontin. MU,Kappa being the main ones for pain relief. And also because of attching to several recptors it gives better pain relief for nerve pain than the others. I hope that this has answerded some questions. Methadone is one if not the only pain med that has these property's attaching to several recptor's. I hope that this this has help. Methadone by the way has alot of side effects for us that suffer CP. Those that are methadone maintence Patients. I.E. Drug addicts. Methadone works entirely different than other meds. Drug addicts need only once a day doseing. Methadone for CP need's to be taken in several dose's because of the actions of this med. It doe's need to be titrated slowly to the dose that maintains pain relief with the lowest possible side effects. I hope that this has helped. Do take care and let us know how things are going...

Matt

[This message has been edited by grizzk62 (edited 09-29-2003).]

Closed Thread