It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Epidurals and sweating...HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2003, 05:25 PM   #1
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Post Epidurals and sweating...HELP!

Hi guys

I'll try to make this quick. I had an epidural injection done 5 days ago, and have been having some serious sweating issues ever since. I also stopped taking methadone about 2-3 weeks ago, and went back to Norco. I don't know if I am maybe having a delayed reaction to stopping the methadone (I didn't really taper, just reduced my dosage in half for a few days, and then completely stopped.)

I heard that Vitamin C before bed helps sweating? Anyone know why this is, or have you heard of any other solutions? The sweats are bad at night, but also during the day, so I'd like to find a solution for both night and day if possible.

Anyone else have this problem after an epidural? I know this is very common with opiates in general...I had this when I took oxycontin. I'm interested to hear specifically from anyone who has had positive/negitive experiences with the epidurals.

Thanks!
    Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
    avogadro
    Inactive

avogadro HB User
    Hello Hiking!

I probably will not be much help but I will try!

I did not have excessive sweating after my ESI. I did have a numb, "tingling" leg for about 5 days!

But, OH MY, when I quit taking Methadone.... it was horrible! I had only been on it for about 3 weeks. It took quite some time for the night sewats to go away. I'm, not sure how long ago it was... I could probably find the post and get the date but I think it was probably about 2 weeks ago. And, it just got better over the last few nights. It took quite some time and I was not even taking Methadone for very long at all.

I did not try the Vit C thing but have also heard that advice. Let me know if you give it a shot and it works for you or not.

Oh, and my sweating was only at night for some reason. I wonder why? Does anyone happen to know the physiological mechanism which explains why in these situations we have "night" sweats and not anything during the day7??? Just curious.

Take Care,
    AV

Old 09-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    One reason you sweat more at night, is due to your body's natural rising of temperature while you're sleeping... That is what helps fight infection while you sleep, and why you can get pretty sick without sleep.... Other than that, another reason is because sometimes your skin doesn't breathe too well under certain kinds of sheets and whatnot at night, and during the day, you're not under these materials much during the day...The sweating is just more common during sleep due to the rise in temp in your body while sleeping to fight infections, in my opinion.. Other than that I'm clueless... But I am pretty sure this has to do with it a bit why it's more common at night.

Much http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
    Crystal

Old 09-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Thanks AV

I really wonder if this might have to do more with the methadone and oxycontin. I tried the methadone for about 2 months, and stopped that and tried oxycontin for 2 weeks. During the oxycontin trial, I also took half of my methadone dose during this time to taper, but really didn't do it right...I just kinda stopped taking it almost 2 weeks ago. I probably didn't notice the effects then though because the oxy was masking the withdrawal. Long story short, about a week ago I decided I was getting rid of the oxy and methadone, and going back to good old Norco's. They don't work great, but they have no side effects at all. All the long acting meds make me tired, sick, twitchy, sweaty, etc. But now that I am writing this down, I realize the sweats really could be methadone and oxy withdrawal. I just assumed it was from the epidural, which it still might be.

Geez, can't I just feel NORMAL for once??? Anyone else out there ever just want to scream out loud, "For the love of God, let me be normal for one day???"

Take Care,
    Sara

Old 09-29-2003, 08:33 PM   #5
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Thanks Crystal. I am sure this is something out of the ordinary. I have made no other adjustments to my bedtime routine or clothing, and I am not sick, so I have to assume it is from changing these medications or the edidural. I literally wake up drenched! My boyfriend is being an awfully good sport about it. It sucks though because it feels nasty to rub against anything when I'm all clammy and hot, so he can't even hug me in bed or I freak out.

Anyhow, if anyone has any other ideas about how to reduce the night/day sweats, please fill me in!

Thanks again AV and Crystal.

Sara

Old 09-29-2003, 08:47 PM   #6
    karmon

Hello!

I also have had major seating issues for a long, long time. I never heard of anything to help, but I will try the Vitamin C thing for sure! it is good for you anyway, right? I have them night/day, so bad I have to wipe my face all day long and work w/ a fan blowing on me contiuously, to soaking my spot in bed so badly, I have to go sleep on the couch and change the sheets in the AM. It is very embarassing @ work and in public in general, and extremely uncomfortable at night, not to mention the interrupted sleep.

Anything else anyone knows, would be gratefully appreciated. If I ever find anything, i would be more than happy to share w/ all of you!

Good luck and painless days!!!

Karmon

Old 09-29-2003, 09:55 PM   #7
    lgriffincsa
    (male)

lgriffincsa HB User
    I dont know if this will work for you, but it has helped me immensely. I was having night sweats also after starting Oxycontin. I normally keep my airconditioning set on 73. I would wake up at 2 or 3 am sokeing wet. I ended up setting my A/C on 60 when I go to bed. I almost have to get an ice scraper to see out of the bedroom window in the morning, and my wife hates it, but I havent woke up sweating in 3 weeks now. The down side to this is my eletric bill went from $120 last month to $289 this month. If you can stand the cold, and dont mind keeping the eletric company rich, give it a try.

------------------
    1998-Major rear-end colision
    1998-mid2000-Chiropractic care
    2000-mid2002-Pain level increased drasticly. No insurance, took a combo of every OTC painreleiver imaginable.
    2002-MRI/ L3/L4 and L4/L5 annular bulging; DDD L4-5 and L5-S1
    2003 February- Orthopeadic Spinal Surgeon said not a candidate for surgery,Percocet 5/325 every 6 hrs.
    2003 June-1 month at PM clinic, Percocet 7.5/325 every 4 hrs.
    08JULY2003-Had Discogram, comfirmed pain comming from L4-L5 disc.Followup confirms tear at L4/L5, pushing on a nerve.
    JULY2003-Duragesic patch, had allergic reaction, switched to Norco. Norco provides no releif. Dr. wants me to have IDET. NOPE!!
    14AUG2003- New PM Dr. switched me to Oxycontin, 20mg/2x a day.
    I need 8hr doseing as I get 100% releif for 7-8hrs then pain back to 7+.
    EMG says severe nerve irritation in lower back. Shows legs ok.
    06SEPT03-Severe butt/leg/foot pain, suddenly while driveing, feels like constant electrial shock, I am worried about symptom change.
    3ESI's scheduled begining 12SEPT03
    Surgery is NOT an option at this time, do to meds working great, long recovery time, possible failure and need to have surgery again.
    2002-MRI/ L3/L4 and L4/L5 annular bulging; DDD L4-5 and L5-S1
    2003 February- Orthopeadic Spinal Surgeon said not a candidate for surgery,Percocet 5/325 every 6 hrs.
    2003 June-1 month at PM clinic, Percocet 7.5/325 every 4 hrs.
    08JULY2003-Had Discogram, comfirmed pain comming from L4-L5 disc.Followup confirms tear at L4/L5, leaking and pushing on a nerve.
    JULY2003-Duragesic patch, had allergic reaction, switched to Norco. Norco provides no releif. Dr. wants me to have IDET. NOPE!!
    14AUG2003- New PM Dr. switched me to Oxycontin, 20mg/2x a day.
    Lorocet+ 2x per day, no releif. Need 3x/day Oxycontin, or ESI's to start to help.
    EMG says severe nerve irritation in lower back. Shows legs ok.
    06SEPT03-Severe butt/leg/foot pain, suddenly while driveing, feels like constant electrial shock, I am worried about symptom change.
    Sept.12,2003-ESI, no releif.
    Oct.6,2003-ESI, no releif.
    Oct.20,2003-Caudal epidural steroid injection. Provided @ 20% reduction in back pain. Nuccloplasty suggested by Dr. if Caudal fails.
    Surgery is NOT an option at this time, due to meds working good (better with 3x/day doseing), long recovery time, possible failure/ need to have surgery again in a few years due to DDD.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:39 PM   #8
    HockeyCrystal
    Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
    Sara,
    No problem.. I was just answering why it's more common at night to sweat... I too think yours is caused from the meds.. And since it's happening during the day as well, I am not sure what to offer as a suggestion... In another post recently, someone mentioned their nightsweats, and I offered what my doctor told me to do when they got really bad at night... Eat a little protein, not a lot, before bed.. This won't help you during the day, and it may not help at night, but I know it helps me immensely, and it helped Lake too (whaleylaker or whatever) with nightsweats.. The next day I got a post saying "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU" hahaha.. It's just a suggestion, and it may not work, as I've stated.. What I try to eat right before bed is just a couple scoops of cottage cheese, a few pieces of cheese on a couple crackers, a couple pieces of cantelope, or something like that. These are just my personal favorites and have done wonders for me. I know what works for some may not have any effect for others, but it can't hurt to try it, right? And I know it won't help with your sweating during the day, but I haven't figured that out for myself yet either.. I just wear extra deoderant and if I get a chance, apply more mid afternoon sometime! Hahaha... I never get too bad to where I'm just rankin big time or anything, I'm just paranoid, I think! Hahaha... Well anyway, I hope you soon find something that helps, you my sweet friend... No one should have to suffer these awful night sweats, let alone day sweats too! But I do think yours is also from the meds, in some shape or form...and hopefully they will taper off quickly... Did they just start after you went off the meth and oxy or what? Or just recently? Well, I hope you find an answer!

Much http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif my friend,
    Crystal

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and it also could be from the epidural, as I can't shed much light on that factor either since I've never experienced that!! Just as I've never experienced weaning off of meds, so never had WD's... I really hope you find something to help! Something other than keeping the thermostat at 60!! hehehe!! I GOTTA GO TO SLEEP!!!

[This message has been edited by HockeyCrystal (edited 09-30-2003).]

Old 09-30-2003, 04:33 AM   #9
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    HI Sara!

I have never had night sweats from my Epi's. But...I Did experience them when I was taking vicodin for BT. Don't have same problem as often w/ the perc. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I Do remember the thread re: Vit C. There were quite a few people that seemed to get relief from it. It's worth a try, eh? I have heard that what you don't use of VitC just comes out in urine. Would want to check that, though, if you plan to take a whole bunch. But...if you just take the RDA - you s/b fine and maybe http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif you'll be dry as Arizona in am!

Good luck!

Karen

------------------
    9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
    12/00 MRI -normal-but pain still-began taking vicodin
    2/8/02 - 2nd baby born - Csection-healthy girl
    2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
    11/02 Referred to Neuro
    3/03 NEW MRI - slight bulge L3-L4, DDD, neural foramen,Superior aspect S1 and L5 Nerve root involvement-Neuro Refers to PM for ESI's
    (2 Rt Transforaminal,1 lumbosacral,3rd one numbed tailbone little
    5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
    Performing doc oversedated, False Negative
    7/8- Dept Head ClCl consult
    7/28 - ClevelClinic for Facet Injection, changed to Caudal Epidural after seeing xray of displaced coccyx;also,coccygeal manipulation
    8/12 - 2nd caudal inj/no coccyx manip
    8/14 -coccyx manip AGAIN
    9/25 sched appt to begin tx on Disc Tear @ ClevelClinic

Old 09-30-2003, 06:00 AM   #10
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User
    Sara,
    I know how you feel! Can't I ever feel normal? My answer to me is this is probably normal for me for life. Sad to say but I am getting use to it. I take oxycontin 40 mg and although it gets rid of the pain it does make me sweat! I hate it; and as you know since we live in the same place it has been hot up until a week ago. I never sweat like this on the Vicodin but never got the relief that I needed. Fortunatly for me I never have felt tired taking these meds. Take care! Mo

Old 09-30-2003, 08:32 PM   #11
    Kimberbella
    (female)

Kimberbella HB User
    Hi Sara,

I have no idea if this will help or not.. but for some reason I keep thinking about Zinc. Perhaps someone else will know more about it... it seems to me that I read something about how increasing or adding zinc daily will help with sweating? Gosh, Ill try to find it.. hopefully this will trigger someone elses memory though...

I know how you feel about the "why cant I feel normal". Ill settle for just a day when the weeks drag on and on... have that feeling also?.... .

We'll get through it though! And Ill look for that Zinc and sweating thing..

Love and prayers,

Kim

Closed Thread