It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I have one question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
    slowmoe1950
    (male)

slowmoe1950 HB User
    I have one question

Hi guys I have a question and I know it may seem silly to some of you experienced people going threw pain manangement but heres my question I just started attending a pain clinic and as I told u in the post below one of my family members went in with me and told the dr I was addicted to oxycontin in the past the dr replied to them we dont prescribe oxys here ...to make a long story short they started me out on hydro 5;s now heres my simple yet silly question will I eventually get the meds I need if they started me out on hydros they surly will move me up in my pm right...they had to start me out on sumin since the only thing i had a script for was tramodol and I am sincerly in pain If they where not to going to treat me would they have started me out on hydro,s and told me to come back n 2 weeks to see how my meds are working?? and surly they will move me up on my meds until they start helping Im hoping to reach a low level of morphine since its all that will help does anybody see them not moving me up to the meds I neeed after all this is a pain clinic right any way all input will be appreciated...sorry if all this seems silly I am just concerned about getting the care I need

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
    mju58
    (male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
    Re: I have one question

I thought I saw some replies to this post somewhere and I thought they gave you pretty good advice. To summarize, ditch your Dad when you go to the doctor. You're not a child and you don't need a parent with you. Secondly, since the doctor is hip to your situation, whatever he gives you he does with all the facts on the table. For him to be able to put you on oxys again may require some sort of verification you're taking them right. Here's where you Dad (hopefully he's not into the drug too!) could help you. Maybe each night he gives you the next days' dose and no more. That way, you couldn't possible blow through the Rx in too short a timeframe. Honestly, I don't know if any doctors would do that but you never know.

You may just have to be patient and communicate as best you can with your doctor. Hopefully everything will work out. Best to you!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
    slowmoe1950
    (male)

slowmoe1950 HB User

Im sorry if my questions seems crazy to some of ya guys its just im really freaked out about my new doc thinking im a ex drug attic it just bugs the crap outta me and makes me mad to tell u the truth I wonder if i will get the care I need I know all drs will look at you different if they know u are a ex drug attic but maybe my doc is understanding im just a nervous wreck and in pain and hope i get the care I need. Thanks for everbodys input

Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
    mju58
    (male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

Honestly, you should be encouraged by the fact that he Rx'ed narcotics knowing your history. Many doctors would have had nothing to do with you. All in all, be honest in all your dealings and hoepfully he'll take care of you. All my Best!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Okay i'm a bit confused...if they told you going in that they don't Rx Oxy, then what makes you think that they will Rx higher lever narcotics? If they don't Rx Oxy, then I can't see them Rx'ing Morphine.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
    janiee08
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Maybe it's just one of those PM clinics or PM docs that choose not to prescribe Oxycontin. I've heard of that, esp. in some of the southern states. However these same clinics will prescibe meds stronger than Oxy....janiee08

Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
    slowmoe1950
    (male)

slowmoe1950 HB User

the way I understood it was so many people were abusing it or the dr could have just been telling that to my dad and straight up lying i mean after all this is a pain clinic so i really dunno??? I really cant see a pain clinic not prescribing oxys or morphine can u? and the new oxys suck and they are hard to abuse so in my opinion i think the dr was straight up lying to my dad but if she was thats cool with me he had no buisnesss telling them i was a drug attic and agin i cant really see a pain clinic not prescribing morphine or oxys I mean my dad told the dr to keep me away from narcotics and she eneded up giving to me anyway which im so glad cause im really in pain i think they do prescribe ocs there just my opinion

Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Keep in mind that some pain management clinics do not prescribe narcotics at all. Many, in particular in parts of the country where drug abuse is very very common, pain management clinics mostly prescribe anti-depressants, anti-seizure drugs and do injections and other procedures. The one I went to never prescribed anything except 15 5mg hydrocodone after epidural injections. Pain management is just that, management of pain, not necessarily prescription of narcotics. My primary care Dr prescribes my meds and she only agreed to do so after three years of injections and failed attempts at trying every other alternative med on the market, multiple rounds of physical therapy, and my seeing a massage therapist once a week which I still do as well as never going anywhere without an ice pack. You need to be patient and keep an open mind to trying alternate therapies. You will have to gain the doctors trust and pushing for more and stronger narcotics will not do that. Try to be patient and work with the doctor. Some of those alternate therapies DO work.

Tigg

Old 11-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi, I also think it would help you to at your next appointment, go alone, and open a dialog with this doctor. They understand that a lot of people, especially of our parents generation, take a very narrow view of narcotics, even in the short term. I know I don't talk to my dad about my meds, He would give me a 2 hour lecture on how he was shot in Korea and only took aspirin, lol.
    We talk a lot here about the difference between being physically dependant on a med, and being addicted. All of us have a dependency, it's the same as people on insulin, or even caffine and sugar. The addiction comes in with drug seeking and criminal behavior, overdoses and things like that. If you don't think you are an addict, don't let anyone say you are, even a doctor. Most of us have had that label slapped on us unfairly by someone, a stupid pharmacy aide, a relative, they really don't have a clue what they are talking about. Good luck and let us know what happens, Maybe instead of asking for a certain drug, ask about being put on a long acting med, I did and was put on methadone a few years ago, and my pain control is better than it's ever been.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
    slowmoe1950
    (male)

slowmoe1950 HB User

First of all thank you to all who have replied to my questions on here I have found this board more than helpful

I sorta wonder if my dr has had patients relatives come in with them before and tell them the same thing or close to it that my dad did my dr but My problems are to close to my spine to operate thats what the neurologist in arkansas told me so the dr in little rock told me staright up the only thing we can do is medication I think my doc understands the importance of meds in my and everbody else that has chronic pain...

Im starting to think everthing will be ok I just have to open up with my dr next time i Go does anybody here think it would sound crazy to tell my Dr my dad makes me extremly nervous and I cldnt really tell u my problems with him there??? Do u think the doc will think Im crazy? or do u think they see this all the time? Anyways thank you all for your input..... SLOWMOE....

Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Slowmoe,
    Do you have a pain journal yet? If not I strongly suggest that you start one, it's a great way for the doctor to see the data that he needs to make decisions about your pain treatment.
    When I was in pain management I had a pain journal. I made entries at least twice a day, more often when needed. I put in the following information: date, time, pain level (from 1-10), what you're doing to treat the pain (meds, spelled out, ice, heat, TENS unit, accupuncture, etc...). I also add what I'm doing at the time, and any other pertinent notes. It takes just a couple of days to get used to it, but it is invaluable. Not only will it give your doctor data that he needs, but it will also show you patterns that might help.
    If I were you I wouldn't be so focused on narcotics, keep an open mind to other types of meds as well as other therapies.
    Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
    Peggy

The Following User Says Thank You to Pegala For This Useful Post:
    slowmoe1950 (11-11-2010)
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I'm not sure that they see it all the time, buy i'm sure they've seen it before. One of the main things to remember with pain management is you have to be honest with your doc and tell the truth, that is like the major number 1 rule. I hope you don't think it rude of me, and if so, just don't answer, but why did you take your dad with you in the first place?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I always go to my doctor alone. There are other type of pain meds called anti seizure meds, anticonvulsants, like clonazepam, you can ask your doctor for it, it's a benzo type med, not narcotic and it helps just like narcotic. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor to rx this. For back pain, valium also helps, so I've heard. Valium is not anticonvulsant but it can help you too.

How did you catch hepatitis?. What meds are you taking for it?.

Sounds like you suffer a lot. I can feel for you. Sometimes a person really need to take narcotics and there is no way out of it.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
    slowmoe1950
    (male)

slowmoe1950 HB User

I didnt volunter my dad to go in the dr office with me he just decided he would go in with me I guess for the sole reason of telling them I was a ex drug attic!! Thats the only thing he said to my DR was keep him away from the pain pills!!

Matter of fact I dont know why I hadnt mention this earlier but I overhead the head dr telling my Dr to start me out on percocets Im pretty sure and then my dr said something about hooked on oxys now I cld barley hear this conversation but when I heard hooked on oxys I instantly thought they was talking about me now I cant say this was about me 100 percent but Id bet money on it.... My dr also told me they did not prescribe soma's or any kind of benzos there along with no oxycontin so..... here I am sterssing again over this whole situation .... I guess the reoson I m stressing so much is on my records it says drug attic Im sure and that will follow me to ever pain clinic I attend if this one dosent work out right... I sure do hope this one works out Im just freaking stressing out about this again!!

And please I appologize to anyone on here who is getting tired of hearing me talk about this subject over and over Im just venting...

I guesss heres another question from my worried mind ok I didint have any records of being prescribed anything but tramodol in the last cple years so could they even of started me out on percocet?? and heres another question since they know Im a drug attic or think I am anyway if they started me out on hydros what do u think the ceiling of my treatment medication will be?? Im sorry guys I freaking hurt 24 7 Im really in pain and do I enjoy the euphoria I get from pain pills hex yes I do Im not going lie... Can anybody here tell me what they started them out on as medication for pain when they first went to the pain clinic???

To answer another question I got hep c from a tatoo Gun... never been a IV drug user..

but anyway again I appoligize for anybody getting tired of hearing me rant about this subject Im just venting and in need of input.... Thank u all for your input and answers it is deeply appreciated...

Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #15
    pupcake
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Slow,

I completely understand about the past haunting you. I am a recovering alcoholic who has had a severe anxiety problem for years. (self medicating for anxiety with alcohol) No doc will give me a benzo for the anxiety because they "work like alcohol and you could become addicted"

OK....never had a drug problem... others who have anxiety take benzos.......NOT RIGHT!

Like you. You have pain but can't be treated because you had a PAST history, perhaps when you didn't have pain. NOT RIGHT.

I know better than to ask for a benzo, now I just keep repeating my symptoms that arent being helped by their antidepressent, etc treatment. Maybe some day they will figure it out.

Pup

Closed Thread