It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I'm afraid I did something wrong. PLEASE read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
    mombomb
    (female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
    I'm afraid I did something wrong. PLEASE read

So, last night, the pain was so so bad I thought I was going to throw up. I was crying and hugging the toilet and just out of my mind with it. I took a flexeril that was prescribed to my hubby after a car accident a year ago. Thank goodness it helped enough for me to relax and sleep. If they drug test me at my next PM appt in about 2 weeks, can they tell I took that? Will I get in trouble? The Dr knows that the Norco 7.5 I have right now arent strong enough. It's a long, complicated story that I wont get into, but I'll be put on something different at the next appt. In the meantime, if the pain gets that out of hand again, I'd like to be able to take another flexeril, as thats the only other thing in the house except for the Norco's. But, I dont want to get in trouble!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
    slowmoe1950
    (male)

slowmoe1950 HB User
    Re: I'm afraid I did something wrong. PLEASE read

I dont even think flexeril would register on a UA i could be wrong but I dont think it would..

Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

Hi
    you will not get into trouble ,they do not test for that,it is not a naractoic or control substance. So they will never know. I am sorry you are in soo much pain,make sure the dr knows about your pain( if that is a drug that helps tell him it has helped you in the past )on your next visit. But dont worry they DO NOT TEST FOR A DRUG THAT NISNT A CONTROLED DRUG( SORRY ABOUT SP)

Have a great day and i will pray for you,
    Kelsery

Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
    mombomb
    (female)

Oh thank goodness. I feel so much better! I dont know what I would do if they kicked me out!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I would not take any more. Some tests are more extensive than others and some COULD show flexeril and having a prescription medication not prescribed to you show up would NOT be a good thing and could well be considered to be a violation of your contract if you have one. If you can tolerate it, you would be better off taking some over the counter ibuprofen or naproxen or Tylenol up to 4000mg a day total. You have two choices, be miserable for two weeks or face the possibility of being terminated from PM and possibly not being able to find another Dr to treat you at all. I know its difficult, but it's better than being denied treatment in the future because you took meds not prescribed for you.

Tigg.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
    mombomb
    (female)

Well Darn it! Thats what I was afraid of. I wonder if I should call and ask if I can be seen sooner? The Norco's not cutting it. The Dr knows it. I've only been in PM 2 months and I'm not too sure how these things work.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

What does your contract say about what to do if you are having problems, if you have one? I don't know about flexeril, but a lot of meds are out of your system in under a week or so, so you should be ok, just didn't want you to get in trouble by taking another one. Does your Dr do a UA ever time, and if so do they do it there or send it out to a lab, the sent out kind can usually detect more than the 'dip stick' kind done in the office. If your contract doesn't spell out what to do if you are having problems I'd go ahead and call to see if you can be seen earlier.

Tigg

Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
    mombomb
    (female)

I do have a contract, but I dont remember what, if anything, it said about being seen sooner. They havent done a UA yet; I've only been twice. They do have a sign at the front desk to expect one though. I think I will call and see what they say. I hate this whole 'drug' thing. I feel like I'm doing something evil and all I'm doing is trying not to hurt!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'd go ahead and call, just make sure to say you want to get in sooner, most Drs won't do med changes over the phone even if they've been seeing you for years. Good luck.

Tigg.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post
    I would not take any more. Some tests are more extensive than others and some COULD show flexeril and having a prescription medication not prescribed to you show up would NOT be a good thing and could well be considered to be a violation of your contract if you have one. If you can tolerate it, you would be better off taking some over the counter ibuprofen or naproxen or Tylenol up to 4000mg a day total. You have two choices, be miserable for two weeks or face the possibility of being terminated from PM and possibly not being able to find another Dr to treat you at all. I know its difficult, but it's better than being denied treatment in the future because you took meds not prescribed for you.

Tigg.
    I hate to disagree with you but i worked at a lab,they do not test for this drug, they can do gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS, if there is cause, they wouldnt do that cause it cost hundreds of dollars, and even if they did do any other test but standard test, i am almost sure they wouldnt kick u out for it

kelsey.
    Ps things may have changed since i work at the lab it has been years but im almost 99.9% this is correct

Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
    mombomb
    (female)

I hope you're right Kelsey. I've been reading conflicting stuff on the internet. As it is, I'm going to run out of Norco's before my next appt. I called and told them that but they can only move my appt up 2 days. As I said, the 7.5's arent working and so I screwed up and took an extra half as needed in the beginning of the month. I'm prescribed three a day and if I take only that much, (which is NOT enough) I will almost make it to the appt date. I'll run out the day before. Also, like I mentioned, the Dr knows I need something stronger. So, it would help me ALOT if I could take a flexeril if I needed it to make it till the next appt, which I'm sure I will. The flexeril doesnt work great, but it helps. This is crummy feeling like I'm being so sneaky. Maybe I'm a wimp, but I cant handle this pain.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

Hi

I would not have told the dr that you took more than you were supost to, and i would never take a whole day suppply earlier. Sweetie we all go though meds not working right, you need to take them as your supost to, cause they will kick you out.. Im not trying to scare you. But pm is just that. I take an extra one every once in awhile but i make it up later,and go dr
    Sweetie Im am just trying to help

also i would slipt them up someway so you dont run out,cause if think your hurting now, wait til then

kelsey

Last edited by kelsey1; 11-16-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
    mombomb
    (female)

I will split them up and make it till then, somehow. I didnt actually tell them I took more than I was supposed too; I asked if I could have an earlier appt and she asked me 'Are you going to run out of medicine?'. Is that a red flag? I wish I could just talk honestly to these drs; everything I've read and heard, it's like we're playing a song and dance with them to keep getting these medicines that we NEED to function.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
    mombomb
    (female)

Well Gosh darn it!! Now I'm so dang worried I'm going to get kicked out. First I take a medicine I'm not supposed too, then I take more of my medicine than I'm supposed too! Oh please reassure me that I wont get kicked out. Or will I? Darn it!! I dont even know what I would do. And I'll be such a nervous wreck at my next appt, I'll probably just blurt out the whole truth and get myself kicked out even if I dont get caught!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Mombomb,
    I feel badly for you that you're suffering so badly.
    You said that the person at the doctor's office asked you if you're going to run out of your meds early. What did you say?
    What else are you doing for the pain? This is a time when you have to look into alternative therapies including heat or ice, BioFreeze, stretching, relaxation techniques, rest, and the list goes on.
    Do you have a pain journal? If not I strongly suggest you start one. Taking a pain journal to your doctor's appointments gives your doctor data that he can use to adjust your meds. Pain journals are an extremely important part of pain management.
    Please keep us posted, and let us know how we can help.
    Peggy

Closed Thread