It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Painkiller Tolerance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #16
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: Painkiller Tolerance

OK, thats oxycodone, a somewhat stronger narcotic than hydrocodone. To what extent have you been abusing it, occasionaly taking a large dose to get high/stoned/help you cope, or taking higher doses than directed every day?

What type of pain caused you to be regularly taking a strong narcotic?

Has your doctor twigged that your scripts are running out sooner than they should, or anything like that?

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 12-08-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #17
    ape2mil
    (male)

ape2mil HB User

Well, first, I take it for fibromyalgia pain, but also because i was in a car wreck and my car was totaled, so it treats the residual pain from that as well. The extent to which i abused it wasn't all that bad in the beginning, but towards the end, it was bad...by the end i was snorting 60mg at a time. (but that was all i would take during the entire day, so I wouldn't exceed 60mg with 24 hours.) One time (and just ONCE) I ate 120mg at a time. That was a bad decision. I only abused my script for about 6 months, and I didn't get to the "60mg mark" until about 3 or 4 months in. And the reason my doctor didn't notice is because when I would run out, I would buy them on the street. I mean, not so much on the street, as much as: I race bikes in the city, and amongst the whole, indie, hipster, bike scene, it's not hard to find whatever you're looking for. Pharmies are apparently the new thing, white collar heroin and so-forth. So I would just buy it from "friends" (acquaintances) until my script date.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
    OK, thats oxycodone, a somewhat stronger narcotic than hydrocodone. To what extent have you been abusing it, occasionaly taking a large dose to get high/stoned/help you cope, or taking higher doses than directed every day?

What type of pain caused you to be regularly taking a strong narcotic?

Has your doctor twigged that your scripts are running out sooner than they should, or anything like that?

Last edited by ape2mil; 12-08-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
    ape2mil
    (male)

ape2mil HB User

And btw, I'm not proud of any of the above post, but i figure i should at least be completely honest, partly because reading back or aloud what i did, and hearing how embarrassingly ridiculous it sounds, is therapeutic, partly because i have to be honest if i want honest, accurate replies, and partly because well...this is the internet. However I am done abusing my meds, i've seen the path that it leads to, and that's not a road i want to travel down for long.

Last edited by ape2mil; 12-08-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #19
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Given that ypou havent gone above 60mg/24 hours, and left 24 hourd between uses, your dependence should be reasonably mild.

I'd go back to whatever your prescribed regimen was (one four times a day or whatever)
    and se how you go, that might be all it takes. It might be that you legitimatly need an increase in dose to cover tolorance or increased pain. It could be you need to add on an adjuvant drug (one that boosts the effect of the narcotic on pain) That means a drug that boosts the analgesic effect of the nrcotic, without being a narcotic itself. That could be somthing simple like Tylenol, an antihistamine such as Benadryl or Atarax, or an antidepressant such as amitriptyline. Speak to your doctor, maybe keep the abuse to your self, but that 15mg isnt cutting it, and ask what he suggests.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
    ape2mil (12-08-2010)
    Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #20
    ape2mil
    (male)

ape2mil HB User

Sounds reasonable and logical. Thanks very much!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
    Given that ypou havent gone above 60mg/24 hours, and left 24 hourd between uses, your dependence should be reasonably mild.

I'd go back to whatever your prescribed regimen was (one four times a day or whatever)
    and se how you go, that might be all it takes. It might be that you legitimatly need an increase in dose to cover tolorance or increased pain. It could be you need to add on an adjuvant drug (one that boosts the effect of the narcotic on pain) That means a drug that boosts the analgesic effect of the nrcotic, without being a narcotic itself. That could be somthing simple like Tylenol, an antihistamine such as Benadryl or Atarax, or an antidepressant such as amitriptyline. Speak to your doctor, maybe keep the abuse to your self, but that 15mg isnt cutting it, and ask what he suggests.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Yes, Vicodin and Norco use Hydrocodone in combination with Acetominophen. Vicodin= 5/500, 7.5/500 or Norco 10/325.

Percocet uses Oxycodone in combination with Acetominophen, usually 5 or 10/325

Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #22
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

ap2mil, first of all I am really sorry you had a car accident.
    If you developed fibromyalgia due to this car accident you must have had a whiplash. How is your neck???

Why don't you take other things for your fibromyalgia other than oxycontin like Gabapentin. Any doctor in the u.s knows that.

Let me know if you had a whiplash and how was your MRI. You had a car accident you know. Whiplash causes fibromyaligia. Go and talk about it with your doctor. You will need to talk with that with your lawyer.

I hope to hear from you and wish you the best.

Last edited by nochange; 12-19-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Unfortunately, much like GI issues, Doctors tend not to prescribe Narcotics for Fibro.....

Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #24
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

yes they do. they start with lyrica and then gabapentin. both are very helpful for fibromyalgia caused by a car accident. MRI must be done though.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #25
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I don't think the drugs you mentioned are considered Narcotics..... Are they?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #26
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lyrica and gabapentin are none narcotics. they are made for fibromyalgia.(spelling sorry when that does not work doctors rx cymbalta.

Last edited by nochange; 12-19-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #27
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Just my input. Umm I don't think his Fibromyalgia was caused by a car accident, he said in one of his posts that he had Fibromyalgia, and he also had a car accident so it helped with residual pain from that. As for Neurontin, it is an anti-convulsant, first put on the market as an Epilepsy drug, but now it's used for many disorders including BiPolar and Fibromyalgia. As for the tolerance issue, unfortunately not all people can go back to their original tolerance level. There is a good chance that ape's tolerance level will remain increased. I've been on high end narcotics for 10 almost 11 years now and have had to take many "vacations" due to 21 surgeries and getting my system ready to react to pain meds after the surgery...my tolerance level as never readjusted or gone down....it's remained incredibly high.

Closed Thread