It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Ciprofloxacin should be banned.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
    janiee08
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User
    Re: Ciprofloxacin should be banned.

Cherish, Are you saying that all of your back problems were due to this antibiotic? I just want to understand you more clearly...janiee08

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #17
    cherish1
    (female)

cherish1 HB User

No, I had back problems separately. But what no one can understand is how I was left with permanent nerve damage after 4 months? Key is that while recovering from first surgery (upon waking and feeling relief)....I was within the next week given Levaquin by a GP for a mild skin rash. Then another round. Within 2 months, I was hurting again and had a second surgery in 3 months. Ended up with 3 surgeries in 12 months.

I acted quickly and promptly to the back issues, yet the nerve pain remained AND is severe. Docs would run all kinds of tests proving my nerves were NOT impinged yet I was dying of pain.

Finally ran the EMG and nerve conduction studies and sadly, I had severe damage. Neurosurgeon was beside himself. He has many patients who wait YEARS to get their first back operation and then when they do, their nerves recover, after years of impingement. Mine was only impinged 4 months.

It is just that there is no way to go back and prove this. It has been recommended to me by 2 docs to just avoid all the fluorquinolones since I already have nerve damage, I certainly don't need more. Any role it might have played just can't be proven. But very suspect. I believe I would be silly to take a medicine KNOWN to cause nerve damage on top of more nerve damage.

Hope that clarifies.
    3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
    12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #18
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
    It seems to me that quinalones are freely prescribed in the US where safer antibiotics would do the job - this presents risks to the patient, and risks to the community because valuable antibiotics of last resort are being prescribed for UTi's, coughs and sinus infections instead of being held in reserve for serious infections.

However, linking all of these effects to it without any real evidence is a bit of a stretch
    Just a minute correction...generally Penicillins such as penicillin and amoxicillin; Cephalosporins such as cephalexin (Keflex); and Macrolides such as Erythromycin (E-Mycin), Clarithromycin (Biaxin), and Azithromycin (Zithromax) are prescribed for general illnesses such as coughs, sinus infections, flu, pneumonia, etc. Most doctors stick with these general anti-biotics and not go with the heavier ones unless these just don't do the trick. Not sure where you've gotten the idea otherwise, but it's inaccurate.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
    EagleRiverDee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I wouldn't go so far as to say it should be banned. Cipro has saved a lot of lives, although my understanding is that in 1997 they started using Cipro in the meat industry and so more and more bugs are becoming resistant to it since it's use is now wide-spread. But that's a whole different debate.

Personally I can't take Cipro and drugs like them because I'm allergic and they make me itch so bad I feel like coming out of my skin. But that's just me. I'd never say no one else should take them.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
    outdoorlivin4me
    (male)

outdoorlivin4me HB User

I completely understand you situation as I was on Cipro for 3 weeks and experienced some of the same side effects you are experiencing. One thing to keep in mind is that fluoroquinolone antibiotics are very powerful and can effect people differently. True they do rid the body of the infection but to what extent it harms you is another issue.
    After taking the Cipro I experienced back pain and lower righ side rib cage pain. I went to the doctor thinking it was gall stones but turned out to be a fatty liver. I am not overweight and work out regularly. I am in the Army and stay very active.
    Cipro like other fluoroquinolone antibiotics can cause what is known as a fatty liver and it is one of the side effects most providers know about. But sometimes they weigh the negative for the positive. You should ask your doctor about a fatty liver as some of your symptoms indicate that could be going on. There are a lot of people who have fatty livers and never know about it so not something you need to be overly anxious about. There are many ways to remedy a fatty liver, exercise and some natural remedies.
    Simple tests will let you know if you have a fatty liver, LFT's (liver funciton tests) and if needed an ultra sound.
    If you

Closed Thread