It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Ciprofloxacin should be banned.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
    ArcaneEpiphany
    (female)

ArcaneEpiphany HB User
    Exclamation Ciprofloxacin should be banned.

So I discontinued taking Ciprofloxacin for a UTI about four weeks ago and since then I've been having some unusual problems. Such as "thickness" of throat feeling, slight shortness of breath, pressure behind eyeballs, random pains around my ear, ribcage pain, heartburn, upper abdominal pain, sharp pain near belly button, "out of body" feeling, and on and off sharp pains around my heart. Two days after I stopped the drug my heart was racing, my mouth became very dry and I was having pains around my heart. I went to the ER, was hooked up to an IV and was told I had Dehydration and High Blood Pressure. I found that very weird because prior to coming in I had drank five bottles of water that morning, was completley relaxed and I have never had a High Blood Pressure problem ever before. They ran tests (bloodwork, EKG, X-ray, etc) but couldn't find anything wrong, so they blamed "anxiety" and released me. A few days later I did a follow up with my MD, she said the pains around my heart could be GERD and I was perscriped Ranitidine. She doubted I had a heart problem (angina, ) but referred me to a Cardiologist.

About a week later I actually did start having Heartburn after meals (especially when I eat Spaghetti and generally a large meal) and Acid Reflux (and still do). I also started getting a tenderness feeling around my lower ribcage and middle of chest and whenever I would press on certain spots it would hurt alot. This continued daily, and although the pain wasnt that bad some days it was definetly still there. Ibuprofen didn't help much and after another week I started to get short of breath. The first time I felt like this I called 911 and was eventually rushed to the ER. Again, numerous tests were performed and they had ruled out heart arrhythmia, heart flutter and heart attack. The second time I went I had complained of severe upper abdominal pain on the left side. I didn't think the heartburn medication was strong enough and I had told the doctor, he agreed and gave me Mylanta. This helped, for like a minute. The third time went, I was given Lorzepam, and then finally on the very last visit I was just looked at like I was plain crazy, even after I told them everything that was going on and whenever the nurse had touched me on certain places of my body, i winced alot. The new doctor replaced my current anti-anxiety drug with Xanax and it completely knocked me out.....and I don't mean in a good way. After that, I completly gave up. I wasn't going to the ER anymore, unless I was actually on the floor having a seizure or I faint. Three days ago I did another followup with my MD and she basically said the same things the last doctor at the ER did. "You have anxiety, go take a xanax and lay down".

Since I've been put on four different type's of painkillers, I'd say I feel 50% better than when this all started, but I know in my gut that I'm not out of the woods yet. I still have a "choking" feeling in my throat, near my thyroid. I have all the symptoms of Costochondritis in the chest area and quite possibly a Pinched Nerve since the pain there radiates to my collar bone, down my left shoulder, neck and upper back. I don't feel chest pressure anymore and it's never hurt anywhere when I breathe deeply. The pains around my heart could
    be from the inflamation but I guess I won't know how much damage Cipro has done (maybe) untill I see the Cardiologist in two weeks.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, I'm not exactly frightened but I do kind of fear that If I do some jogging something will cramp up and I'll drop dead. I've read that after being off Ciprofloxacin for a few months more problems could develop. Tendonitis seems to be a common problem after or being on the drug and my knee's became sore out of nowhere two days ago but the pain went away, could that be a early sign of tendon rupture. ? =/ Also I started drinking alot of milk instead of taking Calcium supplements because I read somewhere that do that can wash Cipro out of you're body. Anyone have sucess with that ? or if there are any victims of Fluoroquinolone Poisoning who have dealt with unusual problems it has caused and found ways to get pass it.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
    Re: Ciprofloxacin should be banned.

Due to my IBD and associated inflammation, Cipro has been a regular in my stable of meds, and other IBD sufferers. Many of us have taken Cipro (2 x 500mgs/Day) for years.

I'm not a fan of Cipro, and sometimes I feel sick from it and stop taking it for a few weeks but generally it's fairly well tolerated.

I'm not saying that your ailments are not real but it could be difficult tracking them them all back to Cipro. It sounds like you have some unusually high anxiety about this drug... why?

~

Last edited by Isotope; 12-20-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

I'm kind of confused why you believe that Cipro caused all of these problems. Is it at all possible that you do have some type of anxiety? Anxiety can cause your blood pressure to spike, as well as cause someone to feel that they are having trouble breathing or that they are choking. Have you had your thyroid levels checked?
    The internet is a great thing but at times, it can be truly dangerous as well, since we can look up any symptoms that we might have and it can spit out thousands of possible "diseases" or disorders or side effects from a medication that may in no way be connected to what we are truly dealing with.
    I would wait to see what the cardiologist says and if they say that things appear to be okay, I would take them at their word and unless something significant changes, I would try to relax some.
    Take care and good luck to you,
    Back

Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
    cherish1
    (female)

cherish1 HB User

I know just how you feel. I cannot prove but do believe 2 rounds of Levaquin triggered my nerve damage and other problems. Why did I have permanent, severe nerve damage within 4 months of injury? Well, how about the 2 back to back doses of Levaquin within a week of my first discectomy that released my trapped nerve. As it was attempting to heal, I was given a nerve damaging drug for a minor arm rash? I now REFUSE ANY fluoruquinolones. Many docs refuse to even prescribe Levaquin anymore due to the tendon issues, but other docs are just clueless.

I think these are very last choice drugs and it concerns me how quickly they are prescribed. When I tell a new doc NO on any of those class of drugs, many look at me like I'm nuts. I mention the black box for tendon issues and nerve damage and they hang their heads, FINE with my decision. Other docs have told me, Oh don't worry, I NEVER prescribe those anymore due to those issues.

Take care of yourself. There are websites online that offer some advice - not sure the addys but I'm seen them before.
    3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
    12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

We need to be careful, proclaiming this med or that needs to be banned. People react differently to meds. That is why all the warnings are listed because people had those side effects. We all really roll the dice when we take a med we have never taken before because we do not know how our body is going to react. I'm sorry you had such a terrible reaction to the Cipro. For me this med works great and I would hate to see it off the market.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I totally agree with Boxerluver. Everyone reacts to meds different, rarely do 2 people have the exact same benefits or side effects from the same drug. These drugs that you guys are saying need to be banned very well are saving peoples lives at this time. So it's fines to discuss the side effects and make it known and that people should be "cautious", but just coming out and saying it should be banned.....that's kind of irresponsible. We have to remember that there are newbies that tune into this site each day, and we don't want to flood them with incorrect information or scare them from trying a medication that they're doctor reccomends that very well may cure them/save them/help them.

Take care all.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
    Boxerluver (12-23-2010)
    Old 12-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
    katkelly12
    (female)

katkelly12 HB User

My 85 year old grandmother was hospitalized for colitis. To treat her, for 9 days, the doctors didn't let her eat or drink, and consequently she became much worse -- to the point where her kidneys were failing and multiple blood transfusions were ordered.

On 2 occasions during her hospital stay she was given Cipro, the effects of which were absolutely shocking. Within a couple of hours of the first administration, she went from a tired yet cognizant patient to a hallucinating, non-responsive vegetable. Highlights of her hallucinations: talking to her deceased sisters, constantly wondering why she had been moved to a new room (she had not), and seeing unusual things (snakes, birs, etc.) in the cupboards. She was a completely different person. The majority of the time, however, she would lay for hours on end in her bed, unresponsive. She refused all food and drink (before this, her appetite had been continuing to improve after being prohibited food for days). This was incredibly disturbing, as it not only prolonged but also increased her dire condition.

We didn't make the connection between Cipro and her mental and physical state until the second administration. Before she received her second dose, she was probably 75% back to her normal self, but almost immediately after dose #2, she exhibited the previously described effects. It was incredibly disturbing and obvious to us what the cause was (Cipro). We (her family) questioned the doctors, but they brushed off our concerns. After doing some Googling and discovering that this drug has a black box warning, we insisted she be taken off this antibiotic. I believe it was the best decision we made for her. She continued to improve and ended up making a full recovery (the doctors were very surprised since her initial outlook was very poor). I honestly believe stopping Cipro was a life and death matter.

I would never, ever take this drug after seeing what it did to my grandmother.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
    katkelly12
    (female)

katkelly12 HB User

I think I should also mention that I do believe Cipro can work for some without adverse effects, and therefore the benefits of this drug have the potential to greatly outweigh its risks. If your condition is a life and death matter, which it was for my grandmother, then by all means, try this drug. However, I would never take this drug for milder afflictions (e.g. a UTI).

Last edited by katkelly12; 12-25-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
    cherish1
    (female)

cherish1 HB User

I agree this med does have its uses. However, ANY time a drug is black-boxed for any reason, EVERY single person should be informed of this PRIOR to being prescribed or given this medicine. Most are not told a thing. That is just plain common sense. Black boxes are serious business.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

When 85 year olds take any medications at all the results are sometimes unpredictable. 85 and Colitis is no treat either.....

Old 12-26-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

ANYONE regardless of age, can end up having a serious side effect to ANY medication. I've had LIFE THREATENING side effects to three different classes of meds used very commonly for chronic pain, antiinfalmmatories (severe allergy), antidepressants (2 days in hospital to stabilize heart rate and lower bp) and anti seizure drugs (stroke type symptoms) and I would never say they shouldn't be used by others or that they should be banned. Many meds have black box warnings, including many opiates. Any time you take any med there is a risk, especially when you have multiple medical conditions and take a number of different meds. You should always read the information provided by the pharmacy for any med. Any infection can be life threatening if not treated, including an uti especially if the person already has serious medical problems and is elderly.

Tigg

Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #12
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Good Morning Friends,
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Black Box Warning"?
    Thanks for the info.
    Peggy

Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
    cherish1
    (female)

cherish1 HB User

A black box warning is the HIGHEST level of warning from the FDA and indicates that medical studies have shown there to be a medical risk of severe adverse effects, beyond the "regular" risk of any new medicine to a person. Black boxed meds have elevated, serious potential issues.

In the case of fluorquinolones (Levaquin, Cipro, etc.), they are black boxed for spontaneous tendon rupture issues. You can take Levaquin and months later, your tendon can just pop off. Many of these black box warnings can result in life-long injury and suffering. The 3 physicians I know that no longer prescribe fluoroquinolones AT ALL stated they can't risk the tendon ruptures with their patients.

Levaquin is also known to cause severe irreversible peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage).

In my case, my doctor SHOULD have said - "you have a minor skin rash and just had back surgery. You should know that this "big gun" antibiotic I am going to be giving you twice is black boxed for nerve damage. Do you want to risk this?" Under no circumstances was Levaquin indicated for my skin rash, having not tried other things first.

The Cipro and Levaquin lawsuit settlement states that patients are to be given a Medication Guide before prescribed. Did any of you get that guide? By the time you've gone to the pharmacy, it's a little late. If you say "no" then, it is back to the doctor and another copay if he won't call in something else.

I wish people didn't get mad at others who are willing to write about their adverse reactions. If you had permanent, severe, disabling nerve damage requiring lifelong pain meds and an implanted spinal cord stimulator all because of an antibiotic? You might understand. But it is good to keep this information in the back of your head- - to just ask, is there a different antibiotic with less risk that would do the job?

We should all be prescribed the least serious med for the job. At issue is the fact that many docs just pull out the "big guns" at the beginning and should not be. Others have gone through other meds and end up with the big guns. That is the way it should be.

If you never knew of these issues, you couldn't protect yourself. It appears many docs are ignoring the lawsuit requirements. So what is a patient to do? (P.S. I'm not the OP - just shared my experience because it WILL save someone else from suffering my fate.)

At the end of the day, if you are willing to risk tendon rupture and severe nerve damage, it is your right to take whatever med you are prescribed. My only issue is if you do NOT know the risks.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Cause and Effect.

Was Cipro specifically identified as the causative agent?

Poor health, advanced age, ongoing pathology, and other medications taken concurrently make it difficult to assign the blame.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

It seems to me that quinalones are freely prescribed in the US where safer antibiotics would do the job - this presents risks to the patient, and risks to the community because valuable antibiotics of last resort are being prescribed for UTi's, coughs and sinus infections instead of being held in reserve for serious infections.

However, linking all of these effects to it without any real evidence is a bit of a stretch

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 12-26-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Closed Thread