It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• tonsillectomy and sinus surgery - hydrocodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
    ashenfang
    (male)

ashenfang HB User
    tonsillectomy and sinus surgery - hydrocodone

Hi all. I am 29 years old and had a tonsillectomy and several nose/sinus surgeries. To my surprise, my nose doesn't really hurt, but my throat/tongue is unbearable. I am finding it difficult to swallow cold items (ice cream, Popsicle, ect) The doctor gave me liquid hydrocodone 7.5mg/500mg, and the directions say to take 3-4 teaspoons (15-20ml) every 4 hours. I have been taking 15ml every 4 hours. I have found that it helps with the pain but for a only 2 hours or so.

I am leery of taking the 20ml every four hours after reading about acetaminophen poisoning, as that dosage would put you right at the 4000mg/24 hours. How much should I be worried about this even though I have seen higher dosages for other patients. Just don't want to cause another problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: tonsillectomy and sinus surgery - hydrocodone

4000mg/24 hours for 3 or 4 days will be fine - the FDA approves 4000mg/day for upto 10 days, and your doctor has assessed that its safe for you before he prescribed it

Sucking some Sucrettes lozonges (the ones with diclonine in them) will also realy help the throat pain

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 02-25-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
    ashenfang
    (male)

ashenfang HB User

Thank you for the reply. This pain is by far the worst that I have had to experience. My doctor told me it would be rough, but I didn't know how serious he was. You are right, my wife did talk with my doctor and he wants me to take 20ml every 3-4 hours for pain and said not to worry about getting too much Tylenol as we are only doing it for a few days. He said you have to worry about it more when its "acute" consumption. I.E. taking 4000mg all at one time, although there are long term considerations.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Send someone out to buy some Sucrettes - the additional relief they give would be most welcome.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Hello,
    My 35 yr old daughter just had her tonsils out and it has been horrible from a pain stand point. She absolutely had to take her maximum dose of liq. hydrocodone every 3 hours for 10 days. I couldn't believe that it was going to be THAT painful. I stand corrected!! My daughter doesn't take meds... period. Until this surgery, and she has had several. Her doctor and the nurses at the hospital stressed the issue of taking the pain med and not allowing the pain to get ahead of her. What we were not prepared for was the fact that when she did come off the pain medication, she experienced withdrawal symptoms for a couple of days. Thankfully it only lasted a couple of days and nights for her, but don't be surprised if you experience some mild wd when you stop the meds.

Also, your doctor can prescribe some "tetracaine" pops. Little lollipops that can be very helpful with this type of pain. They are little suckers that are infused with a numbing medication. It does get better!! After day 11 or 12, she was like a different person.
    I wish you the best in your recovery. This is not an easy surgery for an adult to go through.

Hang in there!!
    bullymom

Closed Thread