It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Need new pain management doc!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #106
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

SunnyBSling HB UserSunnyBSling HB UserSunnyBSling HB User
    Re: Alternative to OC 480MG a day??

Kelsey, thank you Love for your prayers and support. You are so very correct in saying that no one understands what we are going thru but one another here. God led me here to these Healthboards and to you all. I don't know how I ever got along without you and all the support I have and do receive here.
    Yes, I went to work today and my students were so helpful, they carried my things, picked items up for me, God bless them. I missed them as much as they missed me. I do feel a world better!!! I didn't sleep too well last night but I am sure I'll sleep tonight. Thank and Prise to God! Love you Kelsey, -Sunny and Bright in Tucson

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunnyBSling For This Useful Post:
    mgm55 (11-10-2010),pawnee (11-10-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 AM   #107
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

iloveHawaii, Yes, What I saw as a horriffic situation, in hindsight, was truly God's work, He closed one door and opened another, better for my health, door. According to Dr. "T" (my new primary care physician) I was on meds that were unnecessary and potentially damaging to my kidneys and liver. Now, I am on a lower dosage of oxy and it is, thus far, managing the pain well. I told the dr. that I did not want to go back to 80mgs,2/2x's a day.
    I also want to thank you for the advice and prayers. I could not have gone thru that without the support of all here.

Thanks again, Love -Sunny

Last edited by Administrator; 11-14-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #108
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear Sunny,
    I'm so glad that you have a new doctor, and that you're getting the pain relief that you deserve. What a blessing.
    Sorry that I haven't responded sooner, but I had a minor stroke on Monday. I've been in the hospital for the past three days. I'm fine, the only lasting effect is some speech issues. My speech is halting and staccato. You can understand what I say, it's just not my speech. Everything else is fine. I've been sharp as a tack the whole time.
    I was fine on Monday morning. I went to work and all of a sudden my words wouldn't come out when I wanted them to. They say that if you think you're having a stroke you probably are. I found that to be very true. I took actions very quickly, I went to the school nurse, then to my doctor and was in an ambulance within an hour of the start of the symptoms.
    Enough about me. Again, Sunny good for you and your family. I wish you only the best. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
    Peggy

The following user gives a hug of support to Pegala:
    SunnyBSling (11-11-2010)
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #109
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

Peggy, My God, I am so sorry. I am praying that you continue to improve. How did you know what and how to do it? Get help that is. You are an amazing woman Peggy. Truly, here you are just out of the hospital and you're asking about me.
    Please take good care of yourself.
    I continue to feel better daily. Today, I noticed that every muscle and my "skin" hurts and feels bruised to the touch. All over. I am guessing that it is some type of neuralgia (sp) thing that's going on. It's new and it bites. But I want to know if you're ok.
    I am praying for you my friend. I adore you, -Sunny

Old 11-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #110
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Sunny,
    Thank you for asking about me. You wanted to know how I knew to get help the other day when I was having a stroke. I realize that this is off topic so I'll keep my answer short. I was fine on Monday morning, I went to work, did bus duty, and was my normal self. At one point I went to say something to a fellow teacher, but instead of my normal speech, I knew what I wanted to say, but it took 2 or 3 seconds to start my sentence. At the same time I began to sweat profusely and thought that I would pass out. Over the course of the next several minutes I had more difficulties getting my words out, and I had pressure in my left chest. Within the next half hour my symptoms became worse and included a tingling feeling in my right leg as well as shaky hands. I went to the school nurse and told him how I was feeling. He took my blood pressure and it was sky high. I knew that I was having a stroke, I don't know how, but something told me that I was having a stroke. I was in an ambulance within an hour of the onset of symptoms.
    I've heard that if you think you're having a stroke, chances are that you're right and you have to get help. I wholeheartedly agree with that.
    I'm fine. I have an appointment to get my hair cut today, and I'm going to take myself. I'll let you know how my getting out again works out.
    I really do care about you, and couldn't be more thrilled that you're getting help. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
    Peggy
    Note: My husband was concerned about my spelling. His Mom had a stroke several years ago, and her spelling was poor afterwards. He expressed this concern the night that I was admitted to the hospital. After he left to go home I sent him the following text message: Supercalifragalisticexpialadocious. How's my spelling?
    My father taught me that no matter how tough things get we must keep our sense of humor.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #111
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

Peggy, my friend, you are amazing! I am the most fortunate person in the world and richer for having "met" you and have you in my life. I am so very glad that you are doing well. I, too, believe that a sense of humor is the balm of the soul.
    How long are you off of work for? Today's Vet. day, and I have soooo much grading to catch up on and lesson planning. I'll be doing that these next few days, as progress reports are due out early next week.
    I pray to God that He stay close to your side today and always.
    I awoke with my right hand numb and I don't like that at all. I also still have a bruised skin (I do mean all of my skin, from my head/face to my toes) feeling. It could be the L3 nerve that is being twanged. The new Doc. said that that is how it looked in the MRI. The nerve is not being "imposed upon" at all times. Different movements cause varying degrees of sensation. AND there is NOTHING that can be done via surgical intervention? I have made an appointment with another neurosurgeon (thanks to the referral from Dr. "T") for a 2nd opinion.
    Keep on keeping on my friend. "Two peanuts walked into a bar ---one was "assaulted"
    Love you, Sunny

Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #112
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

Peggy, How did your day out of the house go? Are you continuing to feel well? I sure hope so. Did you make your hair appointment?
    I am alright. I continue to feel feverish and the bruised "skin" feeling. I am going to call Dr. "T" tomorrow, if it continues. I also need to go get labs done early because I have to be fasting and I don't do fasting well. I love to eat.
    By the way, guess what I found today? A bloated, gelled, whole Oxy 40mg. pill in my BM. Take care my friend. Love you and God bless you, -Sunny

Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #113
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

Kelsey, Thank you for saying so. Hate this topic, but I'm back to feeling pain (I am trying to control the pain by taking the 30mg.Oxy IR but they are short acting and I was up last night with pain. Plus, I don't want to run out of them for they are the only things that are keeping the pain monster at bay) and finding the oxy OP in my stool. I am not constipated like I always was when I take the oxy, so that's another clue that this junk is not working. Should I stop taking them altogether, should I be "collecting" the "unprocessed" Oxys? I know one thing, I am going to call Dr. "T" and tell him that this is happening again. I did tell him about this and that's why he prescribed the 30mg Oxy IR's. Suggestions anyone?
    Love you Kelsey, you are good people too.
    Love, -Sunny

Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #114
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

iloveHawaii, Hi, thanks for your post. Is mscontin sulfa-based? I don't know if you have any experience with it, but I am allergic to sulfa based meds. Maybe, like Kelsey said, I should get away from the Oxycontin and oxycodone. What'a left? Opana? Methadone? I don't know. I'm going to research pain medications and alternatives. Thanks you guys. I am praying for us also.
    Love, -Sunny

Last edited by Administrator; 11-14-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #115
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

Hi sunny
    I just wanted to tell u i thought u should get away from oxcontin, but not the oxycondone 30 ir,they work ask for more of them or getting mscontin instead of oxycontin,
    love kelsey

Last edited by Administrator; 11-14-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #116
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

Kelsey, thanks for the clarification. The oxy IR's are the only ones keeping the monster at bay. I just don't know if the doctor will prescribe more oxy IR's. I'll tell him next visit. I just don't want it to seem as if I want more and more. I am so wary now. I am afraid to ask for anything you know what I mean?
    Love and Kisses,
    -Sunny

Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #117
    ilovehawaii
    Inactive
    (female)

ilovehawaii HB User

There are so many things to consider when we suffer from pain and what may aggravate it. Our bed may be poorly fitted for our body. I like it to contour to my figure but not to mushy. too hard of beds cause the body to lay more out of joint. I have to lay flat on my back and arms to my side otherwise I wake up with more than usual pain. sleeping too long or walking , sitting too long bother me. overworking the body isn't good.. wearing too tight of pants is hard on the back. Not eating properly is not good and replenishing the body of nutrients is important. Potassium, magnesuim and calcium or some great vitamins for the muscles. I know for a fact potassium is excellent especially when your electrolytes are low. watching your water gain from whatever like salt is not good on the back. STRESS is not good at all. I find waking slowly and a little earlier to get a feel on the pain level in the morning and than take the med and sleep for a while more and it seems to level me out. sometimes I wake up with a painful sciatc nerve that is too much to handle and if I medicate and go back to sleep I can wake up without the pain. So many things to think about and just staying stagnant or laying in bed all day is not good at all,

Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #118
    SunnyBSling
    (female)

iloveHawaii, I couldn't have said it better myself. I consider all of the items you mentioned daily and more. I make it a point of eating a banana daily, drinking a high performance drink, for the electrolytes, vitamins and minerals. I awake at 4:00, even though where I teach, one does not have to be there until 9:00am. I try to wake slowly, take assessment of how I feel and do what I can to prepare for the day. The change in climate, getting cooler here in Tucson, seems to stiffen me up more. I try to put something in my stomach before I medicate to metobolize the medication and not to get a tummay ache. All the rituals I go through just to egin my day would take up a page and more. I'll just say that, chronic pain suffers must prepare to be spontaneous.
    Love ya,
    -Sunny

Closed Thread