It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• subutex and insurance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
    kendub
    (male)

kendub HB User
    subutex and insurance

I was prescribed Subutex by my pain management doctor and my insurance is only willing to pay for 12 doses every 90 days! I had the doctor call for a overide and he was told that they will not pay for Subutex or the generic brand. I had the pharmacy quote me the cost for 90 days and was told with the 12 doses paid by insurance my cost would be $850.00 Has anyone heard of something like this? If you are taking Subutex what major pharamcy are you using? (Costco, Walgreens, Safeway etc) Help Please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User
    Re: subutex and insurance

Kendub, I'm on suboxone, my sub MD would not give me subutex. I had to pay $150 a week with insurance at CVS. I bitched to my sub MD and had his office call my insurance co.. They sent my MD a million papers to sign and state why I needed it. My insurance will cover it now for 10 months for $50 a week. My sub MD was not happy to fill out all the papers, guess he had to work for the $250 monthly visit. Now he's trying to do a fast taper, unlike before when he said I'd have to be on it for a couple of years.
    See if your sub MD will call your insurance. It's worth a try.
    Good luck,
    Gracie

Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i have heard most plans wont cover it because of the cost-looks like your dr will need to rx something else. isn't it just rediculous that they(big pharma)make it almost impossible for us to get some of the medications our dr's think we cpp may benefit from? it's all about the money, not about getting the best medications possible to benefit our very serious illnesses

Old 11-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User

BBo7, I so agree with you. it blows. I was able to get 180 oxycodone for $10 a month when I was in PM. Subs suck for pain relief in my situation, but can't afford to start all over and have all the tests repeated, epidurals etc that never worked. I am in constant pain, go to bed early after taking my psych meds to get relief. The hr before I go to sleep is the best hr in 24. Now they are making it harder for people to get pain meds due to all the a$$ that abused the system. I don't know how much longer I can take this pain.
    It's all about the $$ and not the patient.
    Thanks and take care.
    Peace
    Gracie

Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
    kendub
    (male)

kendub HB User

Doctor sent paper work to insurance, denied. I found Wal-Mart to be the best deal, generic for a month $ 217.00
    Thanks to all who replied.

Closed Thread