It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• discogram ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
    asksarah
    (female)

asksarah HB User
    discogram ?

My pain manager has talked to me about a discogram. (I think that's what its called)

I am just wondering what your insights are on this and I don't have insurance do you know what something like this will cost me?

I have a feeling I am not worth much to my doctor and he is trying to get more money out if me rather than just help me keep on managing pain like we have been for the last couple of years.
    If any of you have any pain managers in the Las Vegas valley I can talk to to possibly change to. I would be forever grateful.

Thank you
    Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
    marbelmo
    (male)

marbelmo HB User
    Re: discogram ?

It's a VERY effective but potentially VERY painful test.
    The only reason to get it done is if you are seriously considering surgery based on the findings.

Mine was in the $2000 range for a 4 level cervical disco.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
    tukkie
    (female)

tukkie HB User

When I had a 2 level lumb. discogram back in 04' the radiologist/doc said it was probably thee most painful test known to man......
    I have to say he was right, it hurt like hell. It did show just how badly my back was damaged, but dam did it ever hurt, even the "numbing" medication didn't do jack---and I hurt for several days after. I don't mean to scare you, but you do need to be prepared......make sure they give you IV medication during the procedure and have some pain medication for afterwards. I hope you find relief.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

AS someone else said, if you are not considering surgery, there is no point in putting yourself through a discogram. Some spine surgeons will not do them, finding other ways to get the same information that is revealed in the discogram. It is really only done to make sure the surgeon is operating on the disc that is the pain generator.

There is some research indicating that having a discogram can result in disc degeneration sooner than it would happen otherwise.

Are you under the care of a spine surgeon or is the pain management doctor handling your case? Normally, the spine surgeon orders a discogram after it has been determined that surgery is necessary. Then the test itself would be performed by a physiatrist or PM doctor.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
    carscheles
    (female)

carscheles HB User

My husband was injured on the job and workman's comp insurance ordered a discogram to see if he was faking his pain for monetary gain. I'm not sure if that's why your PM doc is ordering the test but you never know. They do that sometimes because you can't fake that test.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
    asksarah
    (female)

asksarah HB User

I am seeing a pain manger only. Not workman's comp. I was in 2 serious car accidents and I think he wanted to do one to see if there are and tears in the 2-3 disc u am having the most issues with. He wants me to have surgery but honestly its too costly for no guarantee that it will "fix me"

I am just thinking that my little money I pay my pm every few months isn't worth much to my pm doctor and that's this way he can get more funds out of me. I guess the 15k from my insurance company wasn't enough. LOL

Thank you for your help with the preping for the pain. I had 3 injections and u can out of each one crying from the pain of those. My back spasms were so intense thar the sedation wasn't enough to keep the pain from that. I think I was the only person crying out if the surgical center. Everyone always seemed happy and relieved but I wish I wasn't in such chronic pain @ 32 years old

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by asksarah; 12-08-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Discography is done to look for tears in the disc or anulus "core of the disc", If the die leaks so can the interior material which is caustic to nerve tissue. Yes it was the only thing that has ever made me scream out in pain as an adult but it found the problem no other diagnostic would. If someone really believes a doc is simply doing something so barbaric for money, why would you continue to see them? That's absurd. If you do have a positive response from a disco, their are only a couple options, IDET, fusion or give it some time to heal which may or may not occur. Mine were so completely blown it added hours to my first fusion to clean that material out of the spinal canal before proceeding with the fusion. Globs or pieces of disc fragments can float around and entrap and iratate nerves, but aren't dense enough to show in any other test I know of. Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread