It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• False negative???!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
    JeffLove
    (male)

JeffLove HB User
    Unhappy False negative???!!!

I have a bullet in my spine from a robbery 25 years ago. I have two herniated disks. I have X-rays and MRI records. For aprox 18-20 years I have been prescribed hydrocodone for pain mgt. At one time I could take 4 a day. Never did. A doctor wifey and I started seeing about a year ago (because our good doctor of 20 years moved away) didn't want to prescribe the hydrocodone for me. But I told her I'd done the pain clinic, tylenol(are you kidding me?), and physical therapy bs. I have a bullet and herinated disks. no "therapy" can fix that. duh. I am self employed and don't have time for numerous useless visits to some therapy place for them to tell me the same thing that doctors for 20 years have told me. Take hydrocodone "AS NEEDED".

So I volunteered to sign her agreement for drugs thing. Sure I'll pee in a cup. I'm not abusing anything. Don't take anything illegal. why not?

Here's why: the tests are flawed or this doctor or this lab is stupid.

I take EVERYDAY 1/2 of a generic Concerta for ADD (I had it before they knew what it was), and a Lisprinol for high blood pressure, at night I take a generic celexa for mood, and 1/2 of a hydrocodone pill and an ambien. ALL prescribed by this same doctor.

So the other day when my wife was sick, I joked that I was happy to pee for her anytime so she took me up on it. No biggie.

Til today. I get a letter that basically says I "failed" my drug screen and she will "NO LONGER' write ANY controlled substance for me PERIOD. No reason, no results.

So my wife and I call the doctor's office and she basically says over the phone it's a "done deal", I"m "not prescribing anything for you anymore" except antibiotics, refused to let me take another test right that minute I offered, refused to acknowledge that it could be wrong, etc.

I thought somehow it came up with an illegal drug, which I don't take. heck I haven't even smoked pot for 20 years! turns out my test were ALL NEGATIVE. she said it showed ZERO amounts of the Concerta and the hydrocodone which I take almost every day! So I got a copy of the test results and a copy of the "agreement" which by the way does NOT specify that I am required to register a certain amount of prescribed drugs only that I cannot test positive for illegals, see other doctors, multiple RXs, etc.

So she pretty much accused me of being a drug dealer and cut me off. She didn't care that I had MRIs and X-Rays. She didn't care to check and see that lots of times over the years I have had refills available on hydrocodone that RAN out of date before I got the refills! Sure, drug dealers let refills run out. Are you kidding me??

So I peed in her cup around 1:30 in the afternoon, after eating and drinking all day. I drink lots of water all the time. Already pee'd numerous times that day I'm sure.

The cutoff values are:
    amphetamiine 1000 ng/mL
    opiates 2000 ng/mL

at least for the concerta and the hydrocodone.

So "I" know I take this stuff like every day. So what the heck happened to this urine test?

My wife is so upset at the way the doctor handled this as if she assumed from the get-go that I am selling these drugs, not a shred of benefit of the doubt. No "hey Mr. X, this test don't look right, lets do another one" or "let's get some blood" or anything.

Anybody out here got a suggestion?

My wife and I have decided we are changing primary doctors regardless. But the way this was handled and how we were treated today like we are some redneck drugdealers when we are NOT and are straight laced business owners has us both VERY upset. I"d like to prove her wrong and clear up my name to the point she has to apologize and realize these tests are flawed in some way.

Perhaps the cutoff limits are too high for me to have registered?

Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
    Re: False negative???!!!

you dont take that much for those kind of results- esp 1/2 hydro- does she realize you take it at nite also=and also i am assuming it is a prn drug. another reason for error-get a copy of your lab results and due your homework-contact lab tell them if i tak x at 9pm,
    would it be enough to meet these cutoffs or is the reason showing neg-guarrantee thats the answer. and you didnt pee in the cup til next day at 1 30 pm-duh-no wonder-find a new dr because yours is not well trained to be doing this type med treatment, only in my humble opinion

Last edited by BB07; 01-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
    Whoopee
    Veteran
    (male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Sorry to hear of all your troubles! I had been with the same doc for nearly ten years and recently he had me go to a lab and do a UA. I take a pretty high dose of oxycontin daily and I have no doubt it would show up (and I don't do anything illegal) but I was still worried about a messed up test. The reality is that it happens a lot more frequently than it should. And because of this, there's no reason a doc shouldn't retest a second time, particularly if the result is out of character for the patient standing in front of him/her. Luckily, my test showed what it should but I hear too many horror stories like yours, so of course, I worried!

For the record, I've always hated this sort of "guilty until proven innocent" mentality some docs seem to have with many pain patients. Obviously, the "bad eggs" out there don't help our cause any but still...

I don't have any real words of wisdom, just keep trying to find a doc who seems to be on the same page as you (and your wifey). Take Care!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
    Catmonster
    (female)

Catmonster HB User

I am on here because it just happened to me. Been seeing the same doc for 12 years and occasionally had a urine screen. Was sick for a week due to diverticulitis and have have lost 30 pounds in the last 2-3 months. Dr called and said come in that very day or I would be dropped. I do not drive and my husband left his job and took me there. I just got a letter saying the same thing. No MS contin detected. This has never happened before. I have surgical records a foot thick and am on disability and the then got a letter: Dropped, don't talk about it with us, no retest, hit the road. I should have been positive and dispute the results; I have been a good patient to this "cold fish" of a doctor. He never wanted a doctor/ patient relationship. I felt like that as his patient, even after a dozen years, I was either a chore or was viewed as "the enemy" when I saw him each month. signed/ looking in Birmingham

Closed Thread