It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Change from Norco to Percocet = I am Irritable!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
    Tusin
    (male)

Tusin HB User
    Change from Norco to Percocet = I am Irritable!!!!

My normal doctor is on vacation and over the weekend I feel and re-injured my right arm/shoulder/shoulder blade which I have been taking Norco 5-325 since November for.

I ended up seeing a different doctor at my Doc's office, and was prescribed Percocet 5-325 (was going to bring up to my Doc's that the Norco's were no longer effective at our next appointment anyways).

The dosing for the Percocet is a little strange to me (I am 30, and NEVER go to doctors, wife made me originally in november). It is "Take 1-2 tablets as needed for pain every 4-6 hours". Is that normal?

Regardless. These Percocet's are making me very very irritable (wife is none to happy with me right now). Is this a common side effect? Is it something my body just has to get used to? Should I give it a day or two? Or call the Doc right away (my normal doctor is still out BTW). They also don't seem to be working much better than the Norco's, but that could be due to the fall (more pain).

Any advice would be wonderful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
    Whoopee
    Veteran
    (male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
    Re: Change from Norco to Percocet = I am Irritable!!!!

Your body is making an adjustment from hydrocondone to oxycodone, both are pretty comparable but they work on different receptors in the brain. I have personally preferred the pain relief of oxy better but I will admit they can give you a sort of energy pop which dulls over time. I'm guessing with your make-up, that "pop" is what's causing you to be irritable. As far as pain relief, everyone's different and your body may prefer the hydro over the oxy. So, your not going crazy and that side effect is real.

Another item you mentioned regarding the dosing of your medicine, that is a very common instruction. I would suggest that if you're taking 2 pills for the pain, try one and see if it's not as bad. BTW, hydro always made me itch and oxy doesn't. Just to show you how everyone's different. If you're already only taking one, try not taking it as frequently. There has to be a way to beat this thing! I wish you the Best!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Milligram for milligram the Percocet is stronger. But everyone reacts to pain medicines a bit differently.

The way the prescription is written is very common. The key is to make SURE what the maximum amount per 24 hours is.

So...it's meant to be 'as needed'.....and not 2 tablets every 4 hours...The max is usually 8 per day.

However....most prescriptions are written on a 30 day basis. So...how many pills are there total?

If it's 90....than that is max 3 per day. If it's 120....than that is max 4 per day....etc.

If the maximum is not written on the bottle....I would call and ask the Dr. specifically so that you do not accidentally take more than prescribed.

I agree with Whoopee in that you should go down to one at a time if it's causing this issue for you.

It could be that it has nothing to do with the medication and that you aren't getting solid sleep each night with the ramped up pain. This can cause irritability.

Are you also making sure that you are drinking enough water? Taking opiates can cause dehydration which this is another cause of irritability.

Anyway....make that call to the Dr. so that you are 100% sure how much they want you to take per day so that there isn't any issue.

Good luck...

Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
    Tusin
    (male)

Tusin HB User

Hey there. Figured I should follow up, as I am seeing MY Dr tomorrow and went looking for some more answers. FYI he is not a Pain Management Doctor (if that matters).

Anyways, like with most things I do I started out small (1 pill). To me it felt like it did as much as the 5mg Norco I was prescribed. So I would end up taking 2 in the morning (as when the pain is worse, as when I actually do sleep it aggravates it something fierce). And then 1-1.5 depending on pain throughout the day. And usually two again about an hour before "bed time" (if I can call it that) to try to get to sleep.

He gave me 60, I should have received more information (my wife was there too) but we both left thinking it was a "band-aid" until my actual Dr was back in town. I am almost up longer than most people, generally get 5-6 hours of sleep (and that is when things are normal) i.e. 6am-12am just about every day is my "normal waking hours". So IF I were to take 2 every 4 hours that would be 8 a day.

I never did end up calling back (kicking myself that I should have, as I looked up more information over the weekend).

The agitation/irritability never faded or got better. And something that the Norco's never did, was make me feel very confused about very mundane and normal things. Very very hard to explain. I am trying to think of a way to explain it to my Dr. Luckily I own a small business and last week we were slow. So I stayed home was able to "work" on what I could wrap my head around. This week and next.... Not to much.

I do NOT want Percocet again, period end of story. My company operates in a highly technical field, I need my brian to function!

But my concern if he want's to put me back on Norco, is that they were not as effective for the pain (since I fell/re-injured).

With that being said, they both have one of the same "issues". They do not last as long as the bottle says they should. After about two hours any analgesic effect has 90% worn off. And I am suffering for the last two hours.

There HAS to be other options out there. I have read about Extended Release. But not sure how or if I should bring that up with my Doctor, as in the midst of doing research on the Percocet issues, I have read so many stories about patients being accused of "just trying to get pain meds".

Sorry for the long post, and I am sure I sound like a complete uneducated person. But when it comes to medical issues I am.

Closed Thread