It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Oxycodone question...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
    Jeff52
    (male)

Jeff52 HB User
    Oxycodone question...

Hello
    I've been suffering from a lower back injury I sustained 6 years ago while working as a firefighter. I started off with Vicodin like most but have gotten to where I am taking four 30mg oxycodone IR a day.
    My question or concern is... is this a lot? I have nothing to compare it to so I don't know if the amount is normal? I guess from all the negative media about oxycodone I'm just worried that one day I just may not wake up.

Any advice on my predicament would be well respected and much appreciated.

Jay

Also I hope that this is the correct thread for my post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
    Re: Oxycodone question...

It's really too difficult to say whether you are on a lot of medicine or a little bit...To someone who doesn't take anything....of course it's a huge amount...To someone who has been in chronic pain mgmt. for 10 years...it's not a lot at all...

It's all relative.

And it really is about whether you are taking the medication as prescribed exactly by your Dr. And whether he has worked with you on slowly tirating up your medication.

Usually a medicine is "too much" if you can barely stay awake during the day...If you slur your words....

It also "can" be too much if you feel little to no pain. An opiate is just one small piece of the puzzle and should be added to all the other treatments/modalities a Dr. uses to treat your pain.

Have you had surgery for your injuries? Have they done traction? Injections? or other therapies?

There is daily exercise, yoga/stretching/ Physical Therapy, Aqua therapy, acupuncture, injections, TENS unit, counseling, and other non narcotic medicines like a muscle relaxer, nerve pain med, sleep med, antidepressant..etc.

The key is to not drink alcohol when taking narcotics. And making sure that you use one pharmacy for all your medications if you take others. This way, they can monitor if you are on ones that are too sedating.

As well as making sure you do not have any other health problems like COPD or breathing/sleeping issues that would compound things.

It's really not wise to pay attention to anything the media reports about medication in reference to people OD'ng.....They are using the medication NOT as prescribed....they have mixed medications with alcohol....and they have Dr. shopped by getting prescriptions from other Drs. and not telling the other.

Just work with your Dr. and take the medicine as prescribed and report and side effects that you deem as too severe as I mentioned earlier...

Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

That's not an absolute answeer, However for someone that has never had back surgery, should you need it, You would have a difficult time managing post op pain. I have had 3 failed fusions and have never been given anything stronger than 5 mg percocet 1 or 2 every 4 hours for post op pain and that was for the first week and then down to Norco, lortab etc.

For pain management, it's not a huge amount but most docs would prefer you being on an LA med. In order to match your Roxi dose, say in OxyContin, you would need 60 mgs of Oxycontin every 8 hours. to sustain the serum level one roxy every 4-6 does. Their is nothing stronger as far as short acting than fentnyl lolipops but they only last about 30 minutes.

What's wrong with you back, Are you able to work and is surgery an option. If surgery is inevatable, is their a nwerve component to your pain, pain down your leg, feet, foot drop, loss of reflexes etc. That dose will simply make your post op experience very unpleaseant going in taking 3 times what the normal ortho is going to send you home with after surgery.

As far as Pain management when everything else hasd been tried and failed, My answer would be no, But I don't know your situation. If you have nerve pain, opiates simply aren't that effective on nerve pain which would explain the dose. Are you taking any adjunct meds like Neurontin, toppmax, Lyryca, or any of the antiddepressant class like cymbalta, Remeron, etc. There is much more to pain management than opiates and when that's all you have as far as tools, I think the docs are doing you a great diservice by masking a problem that you may be better off fixinf. You can actually mask a problem solong that the window of opportunity to fix vanashes due to pain imprinting into a compressed nerve and not being relieved for yesars. Odss of reliveingit drop dramatically the longer you putoff fixing something that should be fixed.

Only a surgeon can determine if your a good surgical candidate. The PM docs opinion means nothing when it comes to surgery, they have no business offering surgical opinions since they aren't surgeons. You wouldnt go to your optomitrist for an eye problem cause by a brain tumor. Docs over stepping their bounds is a real pet peeve of mine and can set you up for real problems if you do need surgery. He could say you do need surgery but he can't make a surgeon operate f the surgeon doesn't agree. He can say you dont as long as we can manage it with drugs and a surgeon can have the complete opposite opinion and require you to detox before he will operate.

In the current atmosphere, Treating chronic conditions with short acting meds is very contraversial, Most PM docs that use pain meds prefer to use Long acting for many reasons. They don't leave you living your life in 3 or 4 hour increments. They dont have the onset and termination you feel which makes you watch the clock for you next dose. A multi faceted aproach to PM is always the best bet. Tell us more about you back and perhaps some of us spineys can sugest alternative or adjunct therapies.
    Good luck, Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
    Phoenix (03-17-2012)
    Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
    Whoopee
    Veteran
    (male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

From what you've written, it sounds like you've built up a bit of a tolerance for the drug. Therefore, I seriously doubt you'll drop dead in your sleep. To answer your question about whether this is a lot of oxycodone or not, my answer is yes, that is definitely a pretty high dose of a short-term (IR) pain medicine (narcotic). Typically, if you require that much medicine to make your life semi-normal, most docs would have you on some sort of long-acting (ER) narcotic that could give you 'round the clock relief. If you still need something in the short-term range, then possibly a 5 or 10mg IR could fill in the gaps. But 120mg of an IR narcotic is a high does IMHO.

That's how I see it at least. Hopefully others will chime in with their take on your situation but I do wish you all the Best!

EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't see the responses above. I had the page open for hours before I had the time to respond. If I've rehashed anything, I apologize.

Last edited by Whoopee; 03-16-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
    Jeff52
    (male)

Jeff52 HB User

First and foremost I want to thank you all for your replies.
    I have had a bunch of different shots over the past 6 years. I have had multiple surgeons tell me with my DDS and herniated disks that surgery would most likely be counterproductive for me at my age (30). I had tried a few different types of ER meds (opana Oxycontin etc) prior to moving to oxycodone. I'm not really sure about my PM doctor whom I've been seeing for two years now. Sometimes I get the vibe he has my best interest in mind but other times I don't. I did physical therapy for two years straight but it seemed to aggravate my back more so I started swimming on my own. That helped for a while but not as much now days.
    Also two weeks ago I was diagnosed with depression and put on Wellbutrin which I'm not a huge fan of. Maybe that is the cause of my worries? Adverse side effects...?

Last edited by Jeff52; 03-16-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

To my knowledge...there is nothing in Wellbutrin that interacts negatively with Oxycodone...And because it's not a "sedative" in that sense..(like Valium )..it shouldn't have any of those side effects.

It's odd that you went from taking Oxycontin to the Roxicodone....Since it's the exact same medicine but long acting (continuous)....it's strange for a Dr. to go backwards to short acting.

This has you chasing the pain all day long as short acting medicines peak at the 45 minute mark....and then slowly tirate down over the next hours....

Being on the Oxycontin....the exact same dosage....would give you better pain control throughout the day/night...

But I guess your Dr. has a reason....

Again...none of us are Drs. so you should go ahead and tell your Dr. or Pharmacist about your worries just to be on the safe side. As well as I mentioned....make sure that you do not have other health issues that effect your breathing/sleep.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
    Whoopee
    Veteran
    (male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

All I can say is don't feel alone and you're the only one going through this sort of thing. That's part of why this board is so helpful. For the record, depression goes hand in hand with many CP'ers. I think thatís just the way it is, heck this chronic pain stuff IS downright depressing, eh? Personally speaking, I was put on Zoloft about a year ago for the same basic reasons, I suppose. I'm not a huge fan of it either. It tends to come with some not so good sexual side-effects that are really annoying!

I don't think we suffer from the same area of the body with our pain, mine is my neck. I've been told I have severe DDD in the C-3-C6 area as well as bone spurs to die for. I've also been told any surgery is a waste of time and that's a relief in a way. I'm absolutely terrified of surgery and particularly around my neck/spine, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I think we have a fair number of things in common, so if you ever need to vent or rant, please feel free to do so. Good Luck with things in the future!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
    Jeff52
    (male)

Jeff52 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    All I can say is don't feel alone and you're the only one going through this sort of thing. That's part of why this board is so helpful. For the record, depression goes hand in hand with many CP'ers. I think thatís just the way it is, heck this chronic pain stuff IS downright depressing, eh? Personally speaking, I was put on Zoloft about a year ago for the same basic reasons, I suppose. I'm not a huge fan of it either. It tends to come with some not so good sexual side-effects that are really annoying!

I don't think we suffer from the same area of the body with our pain, mine is my neck. I've been told I have severe DDD in the C-3-C6 area as well as bone spurs to die for. I've also been told any surgery is a waste of time and that's a relief in a way. I'm absolutely terrified of surgery and particularly around my neck/spine, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I think we have a fair number of things in common, so if you ever need to vent or rant, please feel free to do so. Good Luck with things in the future!

Whoopee
    It very nice to know I'm not alone with this thing. Do you have any suggestions of what I should do? It's hard feeling like this, especially so suddenly. It came out of left field. I don't know if my body is telling me to detox or just a level of anxiety/worry that I'm simply just not used to.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
    Whoopee
    Veteran
    (male)

Jeff, I went back and reread all your posts in this thread and I'm a little unsure what you're really asking. I noted you are now taking Wellbutrin, which BTW takes some time to build up in your system to where it's actually doing something for you. I'm also guessing that you were started on a low dose to begin with. If so, I really doubt much of what you're feeling has anything to do with the Wellbutrin.

Why would you think you might be suffering withdrawal symptoms? I didn't read anywhere where your pain medicine dosing was altered. I really do think that that much short acting narcotic medication is not doing you any favors with the constant up and down of the medicine in your bloodstream. I believe you should be on something ER with a supplement of something ST for breakthrough purposes only. Sounds to me like you need to have a sit-down with your doctor and really voice your questions and worries about your current regiment. Good Luck with things!

Closed Thread