It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• opana withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
    jimmysan
    (male)

jimmysan HB User
    opana withdrawal

I presently take 2 op 40's a day and 6 roxi 30 a day. I totally understand a considerable amount of toughness will be needed on my part but my big question is how horrifying will my detox be if I try to ween down alittle a day untill I reach my goal of no meds in one week. Help with suggestions and advice would be so appreciated. I am done. I want out of this prison.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
    ncmommakat
    (female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User
    Re: opana withdrawal

A week is a mighty short period to wean down to zero. Gradual weaning by cutting back 20% at a time is the best

Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Cant your doc call n a withdrawal cocktail, One of the more common is Clonodine and seraquel or clonodine and Neurontin, Clondine for BP and the enough neurontin is pretty much a tranq or simply use seraquill whcih is a trang at the right dose,

Also the fear of withdrawal is often worse than the actual process, especially if done with the help of a doc. There are two theories, get it doe quick and be done or prolong feel moderately bad for weeks or months on a slow taper,Personally I would cut out the oxymorhone first and then reduce the the Oxy from around the clock as you have been taking it in longe intervals between doses, You can then split them and take smaller doses of oxy.

Did you have some kind of surgery that rosolved the pain isue or have you simply decided you really dont need them, the price is too high or you can can live without.

If anyone is considerng starting these meds please be advised if you think you can possibly manage without, don't even go down that road. Just because they are available doesn't mean it's a good idea to take them and just because they dont cause internal organ damage doesn't mean their isn't a heavy price to pay, financially, physically, emotionaly and psychologiclly. If you went cold turkey with a withdrawal cocktail the worst would be over in a week to 10 days, A slow long taper can make you feel nasty and prolong the experience for weeks or months and still has to come to an end where stopping is stopping, cold turkey is cold turkey whether it's coming off 10 mgs of opana or 120 mgs. Once the med is out of you system the experience is pretty much the same. Sever flu like symptoms. The duration it takes to feel normal isn't determined by the number of mgs someone takes, It's the length of time someone takes these meds.

Horifying is a term I would use if my spouse passed or my daughter died, Withdrawal has a beginning and end, the rest is just fear of severe flu like symptoms that can be deminsished with the right withdrawal cocktail. It's really a shame people have to go through this when alternatives to managing pain are available.
    Good luck, Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
    jimmysan (03-17-2012)
    Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

You are most likely going to be extremely uncomfortable with weaning off of 260mg of Oxycodone in one week....

This is never recommended to go down that quickly and the only time that happens is when someone is on the street and using illegally and gets thrown in jail...or someone is using more medication than prescribed and runs out completely.

I don't see the reason why you would want to do this? Why not work with your Dr. on the proper way to wean down and take the time that is needed to do this without all the terrible side effects which are going to happen.

Just know that you CANNOT cut the Oxycontin 40mgs.....that is why working with a Dr. is best to once you get to the 80mg a day....than he can start only prescribing the immediate release meds that you can cut into portions to tirate down.

I can't even see a Dr. asking you to do this so quickly.....so I'm concerned that you are doing this without their knowledge which is not a good thing.

None of us on here are medical professionals and cannot give medical advice....This is why I recommend speaking with your Dr. and going from there.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I recomended cutting short acting Roxicdone, If your taking Oxycontin in addition to Opana, certainly don''t alter either pill. As far as never being done quickly, That's exactly how it is done in rehab and at my docs if you run out early or tetst positive for illegal drugs. They use the same meds I mentioned and the worst of it over in a week, So I don't agree that it's never done quickly, in patient or out. People don't die from opiate withdrawal. You may feel like your going to for a couple days and meds like Clonodine will help your BP, but opiate withdrawal isn't considered life threatening the way Benzo withdrawal can be. Benzo withdrawal will likely cause a seizure, you can aspirate and die. That doesn't happen with opiates.

Opiate withdrawal just makes you sick for a few days to a week, 20% reductions would go easier untill you hit a certain point and then you body is going to object. At that point I woul stop cold with a withdrawal cocktail rather than drag it out, Who has weeks to spend suffering or wants to spend weaks suffering at every decrease when it can be done in days. How long you want to expereince that is up to you. Again, I would absolutely involve a doc partuiclularly if you have underlying BP or heart issues, Otherwise, It's just a matter of sticking to it. The other option is methadone or suboxone which I belive is simply replacing one dependnecy for another but coming off those meds that have extremely long half lifes are even harder to discontinue than the meds your on now.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
    jimmysan
    (male)

jimmysan HB User

Thanks for your obvious concern for me. I am scared. Have no idea what I'm in for. I have been on these amounts for a good 5 months and sometimes more. As of today i feel good at 1and a 1/2 op and 6 to7 roxy 30. I am coming down a little more each day. I'm so scared i am going to get so sick i won't hang. Is my even having 1 op and 3 roxy around enough to prevent me from getting terribly ill. Want to leave doc out incse I need later I want to do this because I dont believe I need all this and even snorting is not really giving me any major buzz.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I appreciate your honesty in now telling us that you actually have an issue with abusing the medicine...

This particular board is for people with chronic pain and who take our meds exactly as prescribed...

Their is a board on this website that is for addiction and recovery...And I think you would get a lot more help on that board as many have gone through what you have and they can encourage you to get the proper assistance...

Good luck..

Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User

Jim, ditto to what already has been stated. Taper 20% per week. You will be in hell if you attempt all in one week. Taper down everyday. you still will have WDs, get some immodium, benadryl, hot baths with epson salts, drink tons of fluids.
    may the force be with you
    Peace
    Gracie

Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
    Aubrey3611
    (male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

Just wondering if I tried to wean down/off of Opana ER 30 , could I replace it with Percocet ? ......it looks like there is no good way to come off of Opana without going through some sort of painful experience.

Last edited by Aubrey3611; 04-18-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Aubrey-Yes I believe the Percocet could "replace" the effects of an equivalent amount of Opana to alleviate withdrawal symptoms, as could many other meds that hit similar enough receptors. 30mg of Opana isn't equivalent to a Percocet though. Why not ask your doctor for the smallest mg Opana pills and taper really slowly off of that? Always best to do any sort of med changes under doctor supervision too. Nothing wrong with taking a couple months if needed and doing it nice and slow.

Usually in the smaller doses is when you need to really slow it down, such as splitting a pill or asking for liquid to make the dosing easier if needed. A doctor can also prescribe a med to help with withdrawal symptoms such as Clonidine. I don't think it has to be painful. Sure you don't want to do it cold turkey or in a week, but nice and slow should really minimize it. Lots of people do it on their own without being miserable. It just takes some planning, time, and doctor support.

Ask your doctor for a reasonable taper schedule (it depends on your dose, how long you've been on the med, and the half life of the med), and go at least that slow, assuming you aren't being cut off or something. You will learn quickly what you can handle as far as a percent per week. Everyone is different. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
    Aubrey3611 (04-19-2012)
    Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
    Whoopee
    Veteran
    (male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Having been through a terrible withdrawal circumstance, 400 mg Oxycontin for years and I was forced to stop cold turkey. It was horrible, so all I can say is be prepared for terrible diarrhea, creepy clammy skin and restless legs at night. I agree that the Chlonidine can help quite a bit but my suggestion (and others) is to take the taper much slower than you mentioned. I think 4 weeks, at least, is a much better approach. You will still be uncomfortable but I think it'll be much better than trying to do it in 1 week. Good Luck on whatever you decide to do!

Closed Thread