It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Is anyone having probs with Mylan Fentanyl patches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
    DAKOTA57
    (male)

DAKOTA57 HB User
    Is anyone having probs with Mylan Fentanyl patches

My husband is terminally ill. He has been on Mylan Fentanyl patches for about 6 years. We have noticed over the last couple of years inconsistency in the patches. Some of them dont stay on. We put tape around them to try to keep them on. Some of them dont give him pain relief at all, like there is no medicine on them. This has been going on over the last couple of years. He is in tremendous pain and it is heartbreaking when the patches dont work. we have been thinking about trying a different brand but he cannot use the ones with gel because they break him out, has anyone else had these problems? Any suggestions on a different patch that does not contain gel. any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to DAKOTA57:
    Fiona_Jo (03-25-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to DAKOTA57 For This Useful Post:
    2underpar (03-23-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
    2underpar
    (male)

2underpar HB User
    Re: Is anyone having probs with Mylan Fentanyl patches

I have been using both Mylan and watson they have gel

What I do for the patchs is use a sock best is a compression shock cut the leg part to about 6" first you can trim later.

I put the patched on my upper arm and slide the sock over, it can breath and it stays on good

Tape around the corners is no good you can buy some clear bandage that will covee 100 mcg patch at drug store

Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I always hated the gel patches and went with Mylan because the med was in the glue and they were smaller. If you can go with Duragesic Brand, the med is in the glue like with Mylan but they work so much better. I don't even have to wear a cover over it, they stick great.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
    gliickie
    (female)

gliickie HB User

I have been on the fentynal patch for ten years. I have noticed inconsistancely lately also. I have tried alot of different brands of the fetnyal patches. I too had a reaction to the gel type. I also can't use extra tape because I am allergic the adhesive in tape. When I apply them I do it in a steamy bathroom and hold each one down for at least five minutes. I have found Mylan to be the best however, I have had trouble with them a few times too. I called the company when I found an entire box that didn't stick well. They found a manufacturing problem and replaced them free. I think all brands have positves and negatives and everyone has to find

Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I used the Mylan Matrix style patch for over a year with no problems. However, I started going through Perimenopause and the patches just weren't sticking like they should and so I decided to give the Duragesic Fentanyl patches a try and they stick and work much better for me (they are also the matrix style like the Mylan), I only had one experience with the type of Fentanyl patch with the gel when I was in the hospital and I didn't get good pain relief from it all. I much prefer the Matrix style and and as far as I know Duragesic now only offers the Matrix style. So, I would definitely try that. Also, they have a coupon available on their website which offers a substantial discount.

I'm sorry for what your husband is going through and hope the Duragesic patch will offer him relief.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
    zapit
    (male)

zapit HB User

I started using Mylan brand patch a couple of months ago. I had to stop after a couple of weeks, due to bad reactions, namely itches, blisters and pretty severe drowsiness/ excess sleep. I used 3 boxes, 15 patches, and 4 of those had absolutly no effect. I virtually stopped my oxycontins while on Fentanyl (750mcg) , but started having withdrawls with those 4 patches. I left them on for aprox 8 hours, then replaced them. Pain relieve was pretty fast after that, and no oxy withdrawl. Definatly product failure.Another 3 patches were lost due to glue/ sticking problems. So basically had an almost 50% failure rate.
    Wishing you and your husband strength, corage and peace!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
    zapit
    (male)

zapit HB User

I started using Mylan brand patch a couple of months ago. I had to stop after a couple of weeks, due to bad reactions, namely itches, blisters and pretty severe drowsiness/ excess sleep. I used 3 boxes, 15 patches, and 4 of those had absolutly no effect. I virtually stopped my oxycontins while on Fentanyl (750mcg) , but started having withdrawls with those 4 patches. I left them on for aprox 8 hours, then replaced them. Pain relieve was pretty fast after that, and no oxy withdrawl. Definatly product failure.Another 3 patches were lost due to glue/ sticking problems. So basically had an almost 50% failure rate.
    Wishing you and your husband strength, courage and peace!

Last edited by zapit; 03-29-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I am very new to the Fentanyl patch but I may be able to provide some info. There is another matrix type generic brand similar to Mylan, made by Mallinckrodt (came out last year I think). They gave it to me for my first/current script. Can't vouch for effectiveness/stickiness, but I can say that I've used the Tegaderm covers from the start with these and have had no problems with them sticking. I used the covers from day 1 since I've read so much about sticking issues and didn't want to lose any.

I've heard the larger patches are tougher to stick too. I've heard of some folks saying certain generics don't give them the same relief. Definitely see if theMmallinckrodt ones may work better if you are sure all the gel ones cause the same reaction. You may have to call around to see what pharmacies stock what. I was surprised when my pharmacy said they stocked them all!

But, also keep in mind that if the patch isn't staying stuck, then the full dose isn't being absorbed either (it needs constant full contact with the skin). If you haven't tried them, pick up some Tegaderm covers made by Nexcare (Nexcare is in big print on the box and Tegaderm is in little print FYI). The insert that came with my patches specifically says its safe to use covers such as this brand. I have heard you shouldn't tape over the whole thing though (just the edges like it appears you are doing). At the drugstore they run just over $1 each for the 2.something inch ones (they also have 4.something inch ones if its a higher dose).

You can get them online much cheaper, but you might want one box right away. They are a thin clear waterproof but breathable almost square cover. You keep them over the patch for the entire time its on (you can't change the cover as it will pull off the patch). They stay very stuck for me...maybe just the edges wrinkling a bit by the end of the 3 days, but no problems. Also be sure to follow the general instructions such as no lotion, less oily part of the body, etc.

Mylan will apparently send Askina derm overlays (similar to Tegaderm) for free if you call and say the right things about the patch not sticking and tape not working. Its the only generic I've heard of to do this, but I could be wrong. There is also a cheaper but probably less convenient option to get a roll of the cover material, such as Opsite Flexifix. Its a higher initial investment but can last for months. You cut it to size. I like the idea of the pre-cut covers with the frame on them to give them some structure to apply...I think the Flexifix only has the part you peel off the back, where the Tegaderms have that plus a part on the non-sticky side which you peel off after its in place.

I can't imagine what you are going through. Hopefully your husband can get some relief. Definitely bring up these concerns with his doctor as they may also have some suggestions. If he isn't already on the most appropriate dose or changing every 48 hours instead of 72 hours, that is another option too. Best wishes.

Closed Thread