It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Rib pain when sniffling?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
    MiseryFields
    Inactive
    (male)

MiseryFields HB User
    Rib pain when sniffling?

I made a post about a week or so ago but things have changed a bit since then, so I thought I'd start a new one.

For the last couple of days, I have had a pain in my right side ribs whenever I sniffle (I have allergies, so I tend to sniffle kind of often). For a few months, though, I've had a pain in the same spot. It's a constant, but mild ache in the section of my ribs right between my pectoral and the bottom of my ribcage. The only thing that had previously made that pain worse was when I was lying on my right side and reached up with my left hand to adjust my pillow. Since early yesterday, though, it's been hurting when I sniffle.

It doesn't hurt when I cough or anything, just when I sniffle and when I'm lying on my right side and I adjust my pillow.

I've looked through I don't even know how many articles on rib pain, but nothing fits what I'm feeling aside from the fact that there's just, well, pain.

I HAVE been to the doctor multiple times since the pain started in January, but the doctors keep saying that I'm fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Rib pain when sniffling?

have any of the docs ever even tried to do an x ray of that particular part of your rib cage just to check for any possible issues going on with either the boney areas(like possible fracture/crack in ribcage area there) or more importanly the muscle/cartiledge that simply does run thru there and of course the rest of the ribcage as well? the fact that actual coughing does NOT bring this on really is kind of crazy considering sniffling actually does? does this AT ALL ever feel more than 'just' at the more outside/ribcage area or does it feel much deeper than that?

in most cases, if this is 'just' feeling like ribcage only, the problem could be more to do with what i mentioned above. but if felt more 'deeply' than that or EVER to the back side at all, it could be possibly many different things.

it is just really odd that 'only' sniffling' brings this on and not what is just much more voilent overall as a cough would be. but depending upon just what IS the underlying trigger, it could be only impacting very specific types of muscles,carteledge,tendons or anything else that would 'move' or just could be impacted. breathing in like with a sniffle uses some bit different 'things/muscles' in that area, than a more 'outward' action like a cough would tho,so who knows, ya know?

but if no one has yet bothered to even do just a basic x ray series on that side of your ribcage over to the sternum, you really DO need to at least start there at this point. then depending upon what does or does not show, honestly i do not think you will to far here without at least a CT if the x rays do not show ANY even potential triggers. it is a matter of testing things and tracking the symptoms back to the underlying triggers that kind of 'gets' things a good diagnosis. unfortunetly it just does take some time to get there and ruling things in or out as possibles. but pain is usually trying to tell us something. neuropathic type pain is a whole OTHER story. but this would be considered 'new pain". i would just keep on that doc til he takes you and this more seriously and simply does his actual job for you as his patient. 'something' just has to be triggering this in you and it is your docs job to simply find that culprit and give you answers/dx of some kind. good luck and please keep me posted MF, marcia

The Following User Says Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
    MiseryFields (04-03-2012)
    Closed Thread