It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Rfa went wrong and now I have over twenty trigger points

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User
    Unhappy Rfa went wrong and now I have over twenty trigger points

So I have bulging discs which are under control now but I also have damaged facet joints on c2-c5 and got a singing/rfa procedure on them. He did four at one time without telling me the risks or asking me. So needless to say, and this guy was a super nice guy but I always felt like he was trying to convince me I was better when you could literally physically feel I was not. So I got two new pains from that procedure; over twenty trigger points appeared about a week after it and my left side of my scalp after three months still feels like I was scalped.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what worked for you for recovery? My new Dr basically politely said he has never seen this happen after this procedure and that usually the procedure fixes trigger points

Plus I am on tizanidine and 30mg of norco a day. I have like five days a month where something goes all haywire and these don't stop the pain. Should I ask for something stronger for just those days or will he think I am just seeking more meds? I hate the feeling of having to ask for medicine. I have been sober nine years and this horrible mess started from a c/section gone wrong and now just to be able to work and be an active mom I have to take stuff btw I did everything my last Dr asked of me; four procedures, physical therapy, injections for the trigger points and he just kept ignoring what I was telling him. Like he would say "oh look your rotation is better" um really dude because I never HAD a rotation problem before my last procedure. I just didn't want him sticking me anymore.

I am fine with the meds and over the past year have gotten off of them several times while towing three kids around and working. Not saying I didn't feel horrible a few of those days but my husband is my best friend and helps me push through. Sorry this got so long! I am just frustrated and feel like I traded one pain for still some of that one plus two new ones. And I apologize in advance to the grammar police

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
    Re: Rfa went wrong and now I have over twenty trigger points

I guess i'm a little confused as to why you think you need stronger meds when in this post and your other post you allude to the fact that your pain doesn't seem to be that bad. In the other post you didn't take pain meds at all for a few days because you had a cold and were taking nyquil...

Most pain patients with serious pain wouldn't be able to not take their pain meds due to a cold...Norco is one of the weakest short acting meds out there and if you can handle things taking this on an as needed basis, it really doesn't seem like you need stronger pain meds at this time.

Kat

Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

I should have been more clear. I am still taking the tizanidine and naproxen and I get very paranoid about mixing too many drugs. So I spaced those out and this was just for today and I was hoping I could get by tomorrow too until this cold is gone or at least better so i fely like i had to choose meds but it's been pretty awful. My husband took the kids to my parents because he knew I would be in horrible pain. I guess I will just keep taking the norco then. I just didn't know what they use these tests for and after my messed up procedure I can't afford to do anything unknowingly wrong. I just am not used to this way of doing things. Thank you for the reply.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

The medicine question was a secondary one as What I am most concerened about is recovery. Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone else had more and/or new issues as a result of rfa? And if so did you find any particular treatment that helped more than another? These trigger points have now spread to my right side and down my upper back as well. And as I mentioned earlier some days of the month my head issue feels like a pulsing, stabbing pain and nothing I am taking gets rid of that pain. Most days are manageable but I would like to know why more recently the head part is getting worse and getting stuck with more needles or Botox just worries me they would make it even worse. He also said I would have to get the procedure again in six months which of course terrifies me because of the fear of more trigger points. Thank you and anyone with experience with this I would very much appreciate hearing about it.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Okay, well tizanidine is a muscle relaxer, naproxin is an NSAID and Norco of course is a narcotic...all of these meds are designed to work together to manage your pain. They each do different things and when used in conjunction with each other they should give you better coverage, than when you try to separate or space them out. Your Dr. prescribed them together for a reason and he wants you to take them together. I'm assuming your Dr. is a pain management doc? Are you on a contract? If so, then you need to take the meds as prescribed...the docs get a little irritable when you don't, or try to come up with your own med schedule.

For instance, if you go to your appointment and don't have a high enough level of hydrocodone (the narcotic in norco) in your UA, your Dr. will know you haven't been taking it, he's going to want to know why? If you tell him what you've said to us...he's going to assume that your pain isn't that bad and he's not going to give you anything stronger, you'll be lucky to keep the Norco.

Pain Dr.'s are a whole different breed of Dr.'s. They pretty much know that people in severe pain, pain enough to need round the clock narcotics, don't "not take" the narcotics for any reason. And not to be mean, but the reasons you listed are very weak, your Dr. won't see them as legitimate reasons not to take the meds, then you'll get into a situation where you have to defend yourself in order to keep the meds you've got.

There is no danger in taking the 3 meds that your currently on. Also, if you take the meds as prescribed it will help you get ahead of the pain. Taking them the way your doing it now, your always trying to "catch up" to the pain, because your taking the Norco at random intervals....these drugs aren't made to be taken that way and they don't work effectively like that.

As for why your old Dr. saw improvement after the injections when you still had pain...there probably was improvement in some areas, and Pain Dr.'s look for any kind of improvement, not just pain improvement....they're looking at the whole picture. With your new Dr. you'll probably still be expected to use different modalities of treatment, very few Pain Management Dr.'s rely on meds alone, they want you to try everything you can, so that the meds can be kept to a minimum, just an FYI.

As for asking for stronger meds for just the 5 or so days of the month when your pain is elevated....it usually doesn't work like that. If they're going to increase your meds, it's usually an across the board increase.

Have you considered chiropractic or osteopathic manipulations or a faciet rhizotomy? Also, do you still do the PT excercises that you were taught?

Kat

Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
    Kerrysqueaky
    (female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

Anyone else have my same neck issues?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
    5alive
    (female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User